5.0 out of 5 stars Quick - buy one before everybody else does!
Published on 12 July 2006 by Martini

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the pitfalls
I am first to admit I am not a camera "geek". I recently purchased the Canon EOS 350D from Amazon market place through photoVenture, and received it the day following, magnificent service.

I purchased a CF card as the kit did not contain one, and thats when my troubles started, the camera read out showed "CF err", which I did not understand, I loaded the cd...
Published on 10 Sept. 2011 by P. J. Orchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick - buy one before everybody else does!, 12 July 2006
Martini (St. Martins, Guernsey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 350D Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm Lens Kit) (Electronics)
I was nervous at spending so much on this type of camera. I previously had an Ixus 50, which was great, but was too much of a handbag camera for what I needed it for. My primary concern, having had an old 35mm film camera years ago, was that it would be complicated to use, and effectively put me off using it. Despite this I bought the camera, and have never looked back!

For a novice (and I am) this camera has to be as easy, if not easier than the IXUS. Point, focus, shoot. Simple as that on auto. The standard manual settings are also spot on, and very useful. I'm taking literally hundreds of pictures a night, with superb results, and I have yet to run out of power, despite using the flash for virtually every shot. In short, I love it to death.

Don't buy the camera case though, it's a real dogs breakfast, and there is no card in the box, so you can't use the camera when it arrives!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 350D beats all the competition, 13 Jan. 2006
Mr. R. Gleadhill (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm not new to photography, but the 350D is my first digital SLR. It took me a long time to decide on the Canon, but after having a go with it (and the Nikon D70 and D70s), the Canonwas without a doutb the best.
The 18-55mm lens supplied in the kit isnt the best lens you will come across, but if you are new to photography, or maybe can't afford a better lens at the time, by all means by the kit. There isn't anything wrong with the lens, it just seems as if they could have made more of an effort with it.
The image quality is more than stunning. This camera is my first introduction to digital, apart from a cheap Kodak I bought a couple of years ago, and the difference really surprised me. The software supplied with the camera is also excellent. After being used to using a 30 year old SLR with stiff winding movements, and pathetic metering, the Canon simpy took my breath away.
I bought the Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro lens, which suits the Canon perfectly, and I will be buying the Sigma 28-70mm soon.
A lot of people say the main downside of the Canon is its size. For me, it isnt a problem, as I have small hands. It is exceptionally light, even with a seemingly heavy lens. The controls are very conveniently placed, and out of the box, you dont really need to read the manual to take advantage of many of the camera's features. My main use for the camera is astrophotography, a field in which the Canon is far better than the Nikon, Pentax and Olympus digital SLRs.
A little tip is that you buy a high speed memory card in order to do the camera justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Step into the SLR world without fear, 2 Jan. 2007
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera recently as I had been getting very frustrated using a digital compact camera by Olympus. I was finding that photography in low light conditions or using a flash was difficult and achieved disappointing results so I bought this camera to address these problems...

The good:

1. Speed. My god, this camera is fast. Boot up time is very quick but it's the shooting time that reeally impresses.

2. Film speed of 1600. I have found this to be invaluable and the grain is not too bad at all. This is a very good low light camera (except, obviously, with a TP lens).

3. Ease of use. Makes my old digital camera seem like a rocket guidance system handbook. You can literally take this out of the box, charge the battery and start taking great photos. Also, it plugged straight into my Apple without missing a beat.

4. Transition from old EOS cameras. This is the same as my old 35mm SLR camera...but digital. All my old lenses work and my filters and all of the buttons are in the same place. Using the Av mode was like stepping back into an old pair of slippers.

5. Diatropic adjustment. I can use the camera without my glasses! Woohoo!

6. Battery life. If you turn off the picture preview pane then you can use this camera for a long, long time before the battery runs dry.

The Bad:

1. No memory card supplied. I think that this is a bit tight. They could have chucked in just a 128Mb card, just so you could take a few photos for fun and then gone out and bought a 2Gb card. Memory is cheap, Canon are tight. We're talking £30 here!

2. The lens supplied sucks. Great if you want to take pictures of bugs but not great for much else. Luckily I had some old lenses which turn this camera into a very decent piece of kit.

3. LCD is a touch small. It's not a major gripe but it did make me hum and ahh for a bit over the 350D's bigger brother. It does the job, but you do need a computer to really see your final results.

Overall this is a brilliant camera and is pretty future proof in terms of resolution - but, buy a new lens and don't forget that memory card!

5.0 out of 5 stars Novice's Point of View, 3 Sept. 2006
R. Williams - See all my reviews
I recently became interested in photography, and after reading reviews and doing lots of research, I took the plunge with the Canon 350D EOS. My main criteria were simplicity of use, image quality and range of functions, and all boxes were admirably ticked with this camera. As a novice I was not sure of how to work the more complex aspects of digital photography, and the automatic functions on this camera were superb in helping me to refine my photographic skills. Automatic settings for sport, close-ups, portraits and landscapes covered everything I wanted a camera for, so anybody who is not competent with manual settings could easily and happily live off only the automatic functions.

My single concern, and advice to potential buyers is that it is well worth purchasing a lens to replace the one that comes with the camera. The 18-55 that comes with the camera is all very well but does not have good zoom, unlike the macro/zoom tamron 75-300 mm lens I bought as a replacement. by the way, that is also a very good piece of equipment.

Anyway, directing this at novices like myself, buy the Canon 350D EOS, as it is a stellar introduction to photography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, average kit lens, 14 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
Bought this camera from Amazon in early summer. 2000 pictures later, I'm delighted. I bought it on the strength of a week's holiday loan of a 300D, and it's a better camera. Lighter, faster, easier to use, with better battery life.
I'm a previous film EOS user, so the User Interface is pretty straightfoward and easy to understand. Can't comment on how it would be when coming from another system.
Would recommend that anyone interested in quality should shoot RAW images - yes, you have to work on them afterwards (Canon give you software for free, though you can also pick up things like Pixmantec's RSE for free) but you can achieve much better results than in-camera JPEG can offer.
The exposure meter is not idiot proof, but it's better than my old film EOS; its grasp of fill-in flash is excellent. Noise levels are acceptable even at ISO1600, so you can use it in low light and get decent picturee; RSE processing of RAW files will get rid of any remaining artefacts. I'm yet to be convinced that the multi-point auto-selecting AF is more than a gimmick, I tend to leave it switched to centre-only.
Why 4 stars and not five? Because of the 18-55mm kit lens. The difference in price between kit-with-lens and body-only seems to vary from £20 to £50, depending which website you look at, and frankly that's what it's worth. So if you don't have Canon EF lenses already, then use it as a get-you-going lens, but start saving for something better, only then will you see what the camera can actually do. The 24-85 USM isn't bad, mint ones are about £200 secondhand...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant camera, brilliant price, 9 Aug. 2007
H. Engels (UK) - See all my reviews
I've had my 350D for just under a year now and I am still amazed by the quality of the photos it produces.

Many people put down cameras like this one and the 400D because of their cropped sensors but to be honest I find that the 1.6 conversion factor is a good thing. I mainly shoot sports and the cropped sensor makes my 300mm lens into a 480mm lens which is perfect. When I do shoot wide angle the 17-40mm f/4L is wide enough but if you want it wider there are 10-20mm lenses out there. So for me its wide enough and I can zoom in far enough thanks to the cropped sensor.

The 18-55mm lens kit that comes with the camera is rubbish to say the least so its worth spending a few hundred quid on something with quality.(I bough the 17-40mm f/4 L for about £350 which, although is the same price as the camera, is definitely worth it).

The build quality of the camera is superb (something common of all EOS cameras) and so is the menu system. The built in flash is poor but does anyone actually use it; it makes all photos look cold and artificial. Performance even at ISO 1600 is pretty good with some noise but not a damaging amount.

While the settings on the wheel are good for beginners you only get the most out of the camera if you use one of the manual settings, it takes a while to master but the results are much better. Although the screen is only 1.5" this isnt a problem as the photos are still easily viewable.

Many people will be pondering over the question of either buying the 350D or spending a bit more on the 400D. I personally dont think its worth spending an extra £100 on 1) a bigger screen (this ones fine) 2) 2 more mega pixels (8mp is enough for anything up to A3; surely enough for most people?!) and 3) a self integrated cleaning system. These things dont get dirty that easily and if they do you can clean the sensor quite easiy. Save the hundred quid and put it towards a nice lens.

You won't regret buying this camera. I didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, few problems, 28 July 2006
Chris "zephyrreviews" (Bristol and Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
The first thing I noticed about the camera when I got it was the weight - it was just the same as my old Canon EOS 500; a promising start as this solid feel resists camera shake far more than my previous Dimage Z3. Another brilliant positive compared to this camera is the battery life - having been used to using up 5+ AA batteries a day, the special rechargable battery supplied doesnt run out for up to three days' use (at least 400 photos, with much previewing and settings changes). I bought some generic spare batteries for the camera off eBay at £15 each, and these are just as good (so don't bother paying £45 for canon brand replacements).

Picture quality is superb, and the photo manipulation software supplied easily corrects over or underexposed photos, although the camera has excellent light metering under most conditions. The ZoomBrowser software supplied is particularly good, and provides much information about each photo. The only trouble with the photos is their size; I would reccommend buying an external hard drive to store them, as they are rapidly filling up my laptop's (60GB) memory. I bought a high speed 2GB compactflash card for the camera for £66, which stores 518 photos at high quality, which should give you a rough idea of how much memory you would need.

The viewfinder is sharp and easy to look through, though this may result in dirtying the screen somewhat, as your nose must be pressed against it (something which I think is standard in most DSLRs). One thing to note is that you cannot take photos using the LCD screen, which, although not necessary for most serious photographers, could affect those who enjoy balancing their camera at arms' length (something which looks fairly stupid anyway). The screen is plenty bright enough to be viewed under all light conditions except extremely bright direct sunlight (just shade it with your body) and enables you to zoom right into the image.

The menus are not as complicated as I had been led to believe in some reviews, and for the novice, there is an extremely competent automatic mode, in which you can literally just point and shoot.

Some of the features I love the most about the camera are: the AF points, which flash in the viewfinder to show you which parts of the image are in focus; the ease with which you can switch between functions, due to the vast array of buttons; the vast number of alterable parameters in the menus; the way you can zoom in on a photo on the screen, then scroll through your photos at the selected magnification (without zooming in each time).

So far I have mainly used the camera for portraiture and wildlife photography, both of which it excels in. This camera was well worth the £456 I paid for it. I reccommend switching between the lens provided (18-55mm) and a 75-300mm lens, which should set you back around £100 on ebay for a Canon brand.

In summary, this is a brilliant value camera, and without a doubt better than any equivalent in the price range. Buy It!

Chris D, 28/07/06

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 6 Jan. 2006
Prior to getting the 350D, I have owned the EOS 300S (SLR) which itself was great. Anyone familiar with the EOS SLR series will be straight at home with the 350D.
I have to say the images are very crisp and on a standard 512 Mb card you will store c. 150 medium quality images - that is images that you can enalrge to A4 (at least) before pixelation.
Another big plus is the compatibility with Canon EF lenses - so you dont need to kit out a whole new bunch of lenses if you are upgrading from and EOS SLR.
In a recent review in AP - it came out as pick of the bunch and bearing in mind that it is not considered 'professional' it is the best resolution for the lowest prices with the best array of features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 28 Jun. 2005
Making the transition from a Point-and-Shoot to an SLR, the biggest improvements I noticed were the instant start-up times, and rate of continuous shooting. This camera is amazingly fast in all areas, which really makes a difference when you're shooting. The image quality is superb, although you may notice a little barrel distortion and vignetting with the kit lens. Considering every professional review agrees that the 350D image quality is identical to the £1100 20D, I'd say you're getting value for money! Large handed users shouldn't worry - the camera is comfortable to use, and if you really wanted you could buy a vertical battery grip to bulk it up. It'd still be hundreds cheaper than the next comparable DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 350D Digital SLR Camera, 14 July 2005
I previously owned a Canon EOS100 SLR camera and had several lenses for it and also had a "point and shoot" Canon Powershot A70 digital compact camera.
Having taken some wonderful pictures with the SLR as well as lots of dire ones, and having discovered the convenience of digital photography, the release of the 350D made me finally take teh step into buying a digital SLR. It is fully compatible with my existing lenses and the 18-55mm lens supplied is also a useful and versatile addition.
The beauty of digital photography is the immediacy of being able to review what you have shot as soon as the picture is taken. This, and the fact tbat you don't need to buy film and have it developed after the event means I now take many more photographs and can experiment with the settings on the camera with much more confidence and learn more about photography in the process.
I actually took a pretty heavy fall holding the camera and dropped it on a concrete patio in the process and although it is scratched and the lens slightly damaged, both the camera and lens are working fine still which is very impressive for a sophisticated piece of electronics.
Highly recommended, especially if you already own Canon lenses or other equipment.

Canon EOS 350D Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm Lens Kit)
Used & New from: £119.50