5.0 out of 5 stars Pulse still beating strongly
I was at one of the Earls Court concerts all those years ago and had forgotten just how magnificent The Floyd were live. Inevitably this cannot be fully captured on DVD but this is certainly the next best thing.

After 12 years of watching Floyd tribute bands it was a sharp reminder of just how good the real thing were. As I didn't get a ticket for the Live 8...
Published on 20 July 2006 by P. Pagin

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but uninspired performance
I love Pink Floyd, but I find them a bit boring to watch on this disc. They're NOT bad. Far from it. Pink Floyd has always been a straight-faced band (literally), and this is no exception. But I expected that, so that's not a problem.

I don't know what it is, there's just something about it that doesn't quite resonate with me.

I really enjoyed the...
Published on 22 Mar. 2012 by Smurf

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What can you say...Floyd at their finest, 29 Oct. 2002
SC (Walsall, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
In the world of musical entertainment their are two types of concert. There are concerts and then their are Floyd concerts. I have yet to find another band that take the pinnacle of lighting and sound design and marry it to their music to create a two hour emotionally charged masterpiece. From soaring guitar solos to powerful and subtle lyrics this concert has it all and that is just the music. As a lighting designer for concerts and theatre i know what can and cannot be done with lights but this was the concert that pushed all boundaries on what lighting design can do for a performance. Even if you are not a fan of Floyd you have to see this concert to believe it. (Eg. Comfortably Numb). Believe me, in terms of the technical side, it doesn't get any better than this

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning., 8 Feb. 2003
r d montgomery-croft (staines, middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I too was lucky enough to be at one of Floyd's Earls Court gigs, and can truly say that having seen many concerts in my time, this has yet to be topped. The complete experience was simply amazing. A band at the peak of their performance, stunning sound, amazing staging, and a crowd who were 100% into the band. It doesn't get better than this. Witness the flaming aeroplane flying across the arena, hear the whole of Dark Side of the Moon, and to top it off, the best performance ever of Comfortably Numb, with Gilmour truly playing his heart out. I can hardly wait for the release on DVD, which I know is in the pipeline. That is one disc that will have pride of place in my collection, once seen, never bettered.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was Just the Best Concert...., 16 Oct. 2005
Gail (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I went at the beginning of the week to the Earls Court show, loved it so much, went again at the end of the week! Why go to a concert twice?! What can I say, this is the best concert I have ever seen - Pink Floyd at their best, for everything - lighting, sound, atmoshphere, you name it - it was SUPERB..I wish I could see a performance like this again - memories will be with me forever. The video has been so played so many times that it is starting to make "wooooowo" noises! so great news to hear that it will be relased on Dec 5th in DVD format. Shame they are not thinking about another tour....esp now that I am on other side of the world in NZ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best concert ever, 4 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I never would of thought that any of Pink Floyds concerts could of compared with 'The Wall' concert in 1980, I was wrong.
Pulse is stunning, with its spectactuar lighting, sound and band performance, you stand back in amazement thinking that it was all a dream.
Even though Roger Waters is no longer a member of The Floyd, Dave Gilmore, Nick Mason and Richard Wright show that they have certainly not lost thier touch, with songs such as 'High Hopes', 'Learning to fly' and 'Sorrow'
There are obviously such classics included such as 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', 'Another Brick in the Wall Pt.2' and 'Money' in which they display an outstanding variety of effects and lighting which will quite litterally blow you away!
The whole of the Dark side of the Moon album was performed back to back for the first time in Pulse, and for all Floyd fans, it is a must!
The songs to look out for would with out a doubt be, 'One of these Days' in which pigs emerge from the walls, 'On the Run' in which a plane is seen inside the hall crashing and exploding into one of the walls, 'Run Like Hell' and of course 'Comfortably Numb' (I wont spoil that one for you, its a must watch!)
I agree with all the other reviews that Pulse is certainly a must buy video and even if you arent a big Floyd fan or havent heard much of them, this concert will still grab you. I read in one of the reviews that 'a deaf woman would enjoy it!' and I quite agree!
I cant say much more other than to BUY THIS VIDEO, it is unbelieveable to say the very least and i am sure that whoever buys it, whatever taste in music, will enjoy it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning piece of video that gives justice to the concert, 1 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Way back in 93/4 I was lucky enough to be at the actual concert where this video was filmed. At the time, I was only just getting into Floyd and was taken aback at the true popularity of the band. So in we went to the concert. A couple of hours later, out we came again, and I was speechless. I couldn't beleive what I had just seen. Thinking I would never see another concert to top that I traveled back home, still with the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.When I heard the video was to be realesed I lept at the chance to get it, but never thought it would do the show true justice.But I was amazed to find that when I saw it again on video a year or so after seeing it live, it had exactley the same effect. The video has been so well put together and can fill any room with an atmosphere which I can only describe as unique to that created by Floyd. All those who have seen the video and appreciate it will understand the atmosphere it creates. Even friends who had never listened to Floyd before seeing the video were left speechless. Its a must for all music fans. Perhaps some of the moor popular bands today can learn from these true masters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. A must have for any Pink Floyd fan, 31 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Why do I love this DVD? So many reasons. The songs are fantastic (but I have to say that like any diehard Pink Floyd fan there are ommissions I wish they'd played!), the band surrounding Rick Wright, Nick Mason and David Gilmour are amazing - check out Sam Brown on The great gig in the sky! But the real draw for me in listening to the whole of the Dark Side of the Moon live - it's epic! The lighting and special effects are just so good as well. Listening to Comfortably Numb, Wish you were here and Run Like Hell as an encore melts my heart. It's a great DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it? Love it!, 12 July 2006
A. D. R. MARKS "adrmarks" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The first question needs to be; was it worth waiting twelve years for the DVD? Well ... yes!

The visuals and sounds are absolutely fantastic - it could well be the best 'in concert' DVD on the market so far. I'm lucky insofar as currently I'm looking at it on a widescreen television with added bass speakers: trust me, this is music which demands to be felt as much as to be heard. One of your earlier reviewers suggested spending money on expensive viewing and listening equipment for this disc, and he was right ('On The Run' should make your liver vibrate). The mellowness of 'Comfortably Numb' can be felt nowhere else, and has a guitar solo to be experienced nowhere else: it is a song of both beauty and horror and I suspect the late Johnny Cash would have done wonders with it.

Taking the entire 'Dark Side of the Moon' was a brave move - especially in Waters' absence. However, it works. Indeed, it sounds like an amazingly contemporary piece of work (but then what do I know? I'm not a teenager anymore - I'm 39).

I guess a more probing question remains: would it be better with Roger Waters in the fold? I guess having seen them at Live 8 the answer remains, yes. I've seen both Gilmour and Waters live, but never together - an experience I would love. And how ironic that my copy of this disc should arrive on my doorstep the day the newspapers tell us all that Syd Barrett has died. Life is strange sometimes. However, I'm waffling ...

It's a fantastic disc, worth every penny - and it's cheaper at Amazon than anywhere else. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect......, 7 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Pink Floyd shows are always a visual treat, and this is no exception. This is well filmed and the sound is stunning - and long overdue for a DVD release.
My only gripe would be that it's too similar to the CD version. OK the 'Dark Side' is an acceptable repeat, but the first half of the show should have had different tracks to the CD.
The show though is now seven years old and still looks stunning today, and I haven't seen anyone pull off anything better since.

5.0 out of 5 stars a once in a lifetime music experience, 1 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Pink Floyd: Pulse [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I read all the previous reviews before buying this and, i can personally testify to what became experiencing the most emotional viewer-gig experience.'Comfortably Numb' had me in tears as i felt the power of Pink Floyd at their best.No matter who you are,no matter what corner of the globe you dwell,you desrve to give your soul the greatest gift of all.....P.U.L.S.E!
I heard the calling, do you?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Momentary Lapse Of Features, 5 July 2006
Irene Patten "Think Pink" (Achill Island, Mayo, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Anyone who saw this gig replayed on BBC the night after it took place back in 1994 will remember the fabulous quality of the music and the usual gargantuan visuals. A full length rendition of "Dark Side of The Moon" was the major draw with tracks performed from the then recently released "Division Bell" album and some back catalogue favourites.
My question though, on this and DVD releases in general. (especially when the original foootage is years old) is can the people who write these reviews offer more info on the actual item(ie. the DVD )itself, like what special features are included, sound options included, multi-camera etc?. It doesn't make sense to review a DVD you cannot yet have seen unless you have some insight into special features or advance notice of what goodies are included. We buy DVD partly because of the extra features or quality of sound etc. so it's redundant to describe your old VHS version....Class take note!

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Pulse [DVD] [2006] by David Mallet (DVD - 2006)