5.0 out of 5 stars one of two exceptional albums I have bought this year
I heard about this band from the Pitchfork website. Didn't think an album with a banjo in it would be my cup of tea, but it's great. Poetic, very melodic, bitter-sweet and sometimes sad. Best tracks are Be gentle With Me and Monsters.
Published on 10 Dec. 2005 by AHReplies

1.0 out of 5 stars Baloney
Published on 31 Jan. 2006 by mprice310

5.0 out of 5 stars one of two exceptional albums I have bought this year, 10 Dec. 2005
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
The only other album as good as this that I have bought recently is Funeral by Arcade Fire. That's another band of amazing musicians. Perhaps it's a trend. If you like musicianship you will love Best Party Ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best newcomers out there..., 20 Oct. 2005
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
This is in one word 'Amazing' every song stands out on its own and there is never a dull moment. Highlights for me include 'The battle of the boy least likely to', 'I see spiders when i close my eyes', 'My Tiger, My heart' and 'I'm glad i hitched my apple wagon to your star' although on an album this good it would be easy to list every song on the disc.
With some rarely heard instruments also added into tracks for added effect and panache it lends 'the boy least likely to' favourable comparison to the mainstream band 'The Magic Numbers'.
Having seen 'The boy least likley to' live at The Carling Academy, Birmingham supporting James Blunt this week, i have to say that they were one of the best opening acts i have ever seen and added the right energy for the occasion. I can see them having opening bands themselves on their own tour in the near future...and i wouldnt be surprised to seem high in the listings in the 2006/2007 summer festival listings. Awesome sound, great band and a bright future.
Hope this helps

4.0 out of 5 stars Best party ever, 3 Feb. 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
The Boy Least Likely To really lends itself to silly puns, like "The boy least likely to disappoint you." Okay, I'm not going to make any.

But in fact, this British tweepop band ISN'T going to disappoint listeners. Their debut album "The Best Party Ever" is full of charming, kooky indiepop, which sounds a little like the Apples in Stereo trying out a twinkly country sound. I mean, who doesn't want to listen to a xylophone song called "I See Spiders When I Close My Eyes"?

It opens with xylophone and banjo, right before Jof Owen starts murmuring, "Staring up into the solar system/All the stars are fixed up in the sky./I just want to sparkle for a moment/Before I just fizzle out and die." The song alternately twinkles and stomps, as Owen sings about spiders, broken hearts, and peaches from a cherry tree.

They follow it up with a series of catchy little songs: the unpredictable electro ballads with handclaps, catchy country-folk laced with keyboard, swoopy little pop songs, bouncy guitar melodies, little plastic flutes, mellow acoustic balladry, and shimmering electro-folk about "chasing rainbows/staring out of classroom windows..."

I have a soft spot for little bands that create solid tweepop, and "The Best Party Ever" is a good example of the genre. They do misfire slightly on one song -- "Sleeping With A Gun Under My Pillow" is brilliant, but it has those drunken twangs sometimes. But it's one small spot on a great song, on an album full of adorable music.

The music itself is a heavy dose of solid acoustic guitar, playing some solid little catchy tunes, and heavily smothered in some pleasant ripples of keyboard and mellotron. But the music is also made sort of childlike and upbeat -- multi-instrumentalist Pete Hobbs also sprinkles in xylophone, harmonica, kazoo, flute, bells and who knows what else.

Owen takes care of the lyrical aspects of the songs -- his voice is very mellow and sweet, tripping along with the music. And his lyrics are adorable -- fruit trees, stars, warm panda cola, "monster" adults from a child's perspective, and falling in love in a way that changes you for the better. And moments of poignant brilliance ("If I looked all over/Different winter would the/Snowstorm fall as beautiful").

"The Best Party Ever" has some rough spots, but The Boy Least Likely To makes a brilliant debut that only promises more good stuff in the future. The boys least likely to.... did.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it!!!, 30 Aug. 2006
J. Shenton "Jen" (Stourbridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
How can this be anti cool music?? It's brilliant!!

This is an excellent album that I can just listen to over and over again....

If you're just pondering over whether to buy it, just do it, you won't regret it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Bedroom Pop, 2 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
The most impressive thing about this album is how every single song stands out- there is no filler here, just a collection of cracking pop tunes laced with dark humour and nostalgic asides. With banjos, recorders and casio-esque keyboards jostling alongside bemusing but brilliant lyrics (surely this is the only case of 'antihisthamine' being used in a song) it is a total delight from start to finish. I heard this band being bigged up on XFM and decided to check them out- for once, they lived up to the hype. Sort of like T Rex having a Sunday stroll with Glen Campbell. That can only be a good thing. Lovely art work, too. Ace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grin inducing and delightful, 31 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
Most of what I'd like to say has already been said by the more enlightened and intelligent reviewers here - If you get a kick out of original, witty, interesting, feel good, intelligently novel (as opposed to brain dead novel al la Darkness & their dreadful one trick pony ilk) songs and tunes - then fill your boots - but the answer is to check out the samples and make your own mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun pop, 21 Dec. 2009
Me, Myself & I (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
this is a brilliant fun feel good upbeat pop album that would be a great addition to any collection.

All the tracks are brilliant with sweet lyrics that don't alway make sense but who care when this is such a fun album.

This is one album that always makes me smile and feel better when I'm down.

Go on buy it you want a bit of light hearted fun.

Although I love the whole album ny favourite tracks are:

Be Gentle with Me
Fur Soft as Fur
Paper Cuts
Warm Panda Cola
I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon to Your Star (strange country influenced pop)
Hugging My Grudge
My Tiger My Heart

Go on you wont be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth scratching the surface, 13 Feb. 2009
Ian Barker (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (MP3 Download)
At first listen this appears to be quite a twee album, but with longer acquaintance it's actually rather deeper than it seems. Also tracks like 'Hugging My Grudge' and 'Be Gentle With Me' are insufferably catchy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album to lift your spirit, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
This album is great if you are feeling a little low. I don't even listen to the words (although they are funny and odd). For me, the best bit, is the melody. Great sound, lifts your spirit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Baloney, 31 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Best Party Ever (Audio CD)
The cutesy album cover and cuddly song titles should have been a warning to avoid this one but i was swayed by some of the positive reviews (comparisons to Arcade Fire?!) to waste 13 quid. It's twee and irritating and sounds like a mindless kids' sing-along most of the time. And the whispery affected vocals style is awful too. Maybe it earns its stars later in the album but I couldn't tell you what the last few songs are like because i ran out of patience some time before that.

The Best Party Ever
The Best Party Ever by The Boy Least Likely To (Audio CD - 2010)