5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I wasn't a big fan of Melanie's last album as I thought it was a bit too middle-of-the-road, but this one just blew me away. It's full of catchy rock-pop tracks and GORGEOUS ballads (Here and Now is one of the best songs she's ever recorded in my opinion).
Published on 6 April 2005 by Tom

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing 3rd album
I rate Melanie C. I love her first two albums and, unlike some others, I didn't consider "Reason" to be inferior to "Northern Star". And I saw her play a cracking live set in London in December 2003.
But I feel that the quality of the songwriting on "Beautiful Intentions" lets this album down in quite a profound way. I've only given the album one listening so far...
Published on 1 May 2005 by Ordinary Joe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 April 2005
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
The last album had loads of fillers, but this one really impressed me. You can feel that she finally found her own sound and it's brilliant. Some songs (like Good Girl, Here and Now and You'll Get Yours) manage to send chills down my spine, exactly like some of the songs on Northern Star did to me. I'm pleased, and I'm sure Melanie is pleased that she recorded such a fantastic album. Welcome back, Mel!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 2 May 2005
L. Omelasz "brekkie_tiffs" (Dundee, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
I must admit that I was never a huge Melanie C. However, this album was given to me as a gift so I decided to at least to give it a try. And to my pleasant surprise, I actually kind of liked it. Given that this is a self-funded album released on Melanie c's own label, it sounds fantastic. Very emotive. Very raw...very real. Opening track 'Beautiful Intentions' has a hell of a hook that makes it impossible to diss the track; follow up Next Best Superstar was a great first single but compared to the other tracks on the album it's actually outbest by practically all the other tracks (except for some which I'll get to); Better Alone kicks off the first of 4 ballads on the album. It does have a great effective chorus but the verse vocals are a bit patchy but otherwise a good track; Last Night on Earth starts off funky but ascends immediately into a upbeat rocker. One of my faves; You Will See is an ok track but it's not a good sign when the verses are better than the chorus; Never Say Never is my fave track off the whole album. very catchy and a fab chorus; Good Girl, the second of 4 ballads, is probably the best ballad out of them all. A simple yet bittersweet tune; Don't Need This is similar to Never say Never with it's very catchy chorus. Another one of my faves; Little Piece of Me is a good song but not the best; Here and Now, the third of 4 ballads, is rather dull. It never really seems to go anywhere; Take Your Pleasure is a very angsty song and the chorus very catchy; closer, and the final ballad of 4, You'll Get Yours is a bit weak but it's better than Here and Now.
Overall, it is a rather good album, and dare I say, better than anything the other Spice Girls have came up with.
How many good tracks? Nine out of 12
Best track: Never Say Never
Worst track: Here and Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Melanie Superstar C, 11 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
I Liked her other albums, I wouldnt say that her last album Reason was excellent, Beautiful Intentions doesnt compair to any of her other albums, this is just amazing and I would say that this new release from Mel C is Excellent she has improved alot while shes been away from the studio for a few years, My Favorite Songs are Better Alone and Good Girl which are very nice ballads, but you cant really dislike any of the songs they are all improvements from her older songs. I have this album on my Ipod and its automatically added itself to my Most Played List (That proves how good it is) come and buy this album you wont be dissapointed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Melanie's Beautiful Intentions, 11 April 2005
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
Since I live in the US, I don't have the album yet and I'm not sure when I'll get it, but I'm writing my review using the 1 minute clips on her official site of all 12 songs ([...]) Anyway, Melanie C is back and better than ever with her third album Beautiful Intentions, produced by her new record label, Red Girl Records, which she made after being dropped from Virgin after the flop of her second record Reason. This album just may be the one to put her back on the map and show everyone what she's capable of.
1)Beautiful Intentions- The title track opens with a hard guitar riff and really brings you into her new hard rock sound. This song is about being able to see whether or not someone likes you. "So blind that I can't decide if you knew I harboured beautiful intentions for you/So cruel that I never knew truly if you harboured beautiful intentions for me" 5/5
2)Next Best Superstar- The first single off this album, which talks about the whole Pop Idol/American Idol phenomenon and this song really takes a bite at the whole pop culture. "Make a joke, do the show, where does all the money go?/You're living your dream/Crack a smile in denial, throw your morals on the fire/You're living your dream." 5/5
3)Better Alone- The first of very few ballads on this album, which shows the more mellow, softer side of Melanie that we saw in her Reason album. 5/5
4)Last Night on Earth- The kind of fun rocker song on the album (all of them are fun, but this is the funnest of them all) that makes you want to rock out. 5/5
5)You Will See- Getting deeper and deeper into the rock sound, You Will See is another one of my favorite songs. "Cos it's only a matter of time til it finds you/Try to run for your life, you'll still feel it behind you/You will see." 5/5
6)Never Say Never- One of my favorite songs on the album, this song has a great rocker sound and Melanie's vocals are really good on this. 5/5
7)Good Girl- When I first heard this, it was one of my least favorite songs on the album, but after several listens, it's beginning to grow on me. This is another ballad and has a very mellow sound to it and Melanie's vocals are pretty good on this song too. 4/5
8)Don't Need This- After having heard Lisa Marie Presley's new CD, this sounds like it could have been on that record as well, but it fits very well on here. "Now I'm planning my attack and I will surely rise again/Running from yourself isn't gonna save you." Great rocker song and another of my favorites. 5/5
9)Little Piece of Me- Yet another favorite song of mine and it's a great rock song. Melanie sings very well on this song. "All you want me to be is a little souvenir/Of a night you won't even remember/It's not because I'm worth it, not cuz I deserve it/You just want to get your hands on a little piece of me." 5/5
10)Here and Now- A haunting melody begins this song and then moves into a more mellow ballad. It's another song that may take a while to grow on me. 3/5
11)Take Your Pleasure- We move back to the rock sound into my final favorite song on the album. This song is about someone taking pleasure from Melanie's pain. "You take your pleasure from my pain, inflict your damage/I expect your delusion is part of you hating yourself, so take your pleasure from my pain." 5/5
12)You'll Get Yours- The final song on the album is a beautiful ballad which really shows off Mel's vocals well. "If you turn the pages and look inside, there is nothing of me I feel that I have to hide/If you turn the tables and look at yourself, is there something you fear that you would have to confess?" 4/5
Overall, this album is one of the best I've heard in a while, not only from Mel but from the whole music industry. Having written all but one track (Next Best Superstar), Melanie is definitely showing off her lyricism and it really seems to be improving from album to album. It shows she has put so much work and effort into this album, crafting it to be the best. I can't wait to get this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars well done, sporty, 31 Aug 2006
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
This is the third album of a great singer. Melanie Chisholm shows here she knows what she's doing. Although in the album, you can taste a pop rock flavour, it's not only rock what you can hear because Mel C loves unplugged style and you can notice when you hear three of the best songs of the record: BETTER ALONE, HERE AND NOW and YOU'LL GET YOURS. You'll be impressed if you are a fan or if not because she makes you feel in another world when you listen to her lyrics and to the rhythm. She's the sort of artist that makes you feel things when you listen carefully. Her singles: THE NEXT BEST SUPERSTAR, BETTER ALONE and FIRST DAY OF MY LIFE are great too. REALLY WOTH BELIEVE ME.

She's been number one in some countries (Portugal, Germany, Austria...) though she hasn't been successful in Britain with this record.

P.D.: I can't wait for her DVD Unplugged release next month!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back With A Bang!!, 6 Sep 2005
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
Being a big fan of Melanie C's first two solo albums from the eclectic mix of genres of her 1999 debut 'Northern Star' to her rockier 2003 release 'Reason' I had to purchase her third 'Beautiful Intentions' which is her best yet as she's developed her rockier sound with great results.
Don't judge this album from the two singles top ten hit Next Best Superstar and follow up Better Alone (the first of four slower tracks on the album). As there are better tracks that may not have as higher commercial appeal as Next Best Superstar but are of higher quality, such as Last Night On Earth and the title track Beautiful Intentions. The best track on this album has to be the closing track 'You'll Get Your's' which has great lyrics and shows off Mels vocal talent off really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to truimph, 30 April 2005
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
The undeserved title of "the most talented spice girl" has struck again. What I mean by undeserved is comparative. Mel C has managed to transend her past as a member of a girl band to produce 3 albums of well written and phenomenally well sung masterpieces.
For fear of sounding sycophantic she has managed to showcase her talents to a profound degree since leaving the confines of a commercially biased promotional vehicle as such was the spice girls, she has truly spread her wings and has matured as an independent artist.
This album is a return to form from a truly memorably first album. She has incorporated soft meaningful ballads with alternative background sounds, upbeat forceful lyrics with metallic guitar rifs. This is a must for all those who fell in love with her early solo sound.
Thoroughly recommended? weren't you listening? that would be a big YEAH!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album!, 15 April 2005
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
If this is the way Mel C has always wanted to sound then we the public have been sorely deprived!
From beginning to end the album moves at a tremendous pace with not a single duff note - let alone track - in earshot.
I'm not going to pull out any single track for special mention cos they're all brilliant.
So do yourself, and Miss C, a favour and BUY THIS ALBUM!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mel C is bck Rocking with her new album Beautiful Intentions, 7 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of Melanie C and this is my review of her brand new album Beautiful Intentions. Release date 11/4/05.
This album has produced some fine work from Melanie over the past 9 months. Always catchy to the ears and never fails to dissapoint. Many people criticised Melanie's second solo album Reason. So much that her record company dropped her. I think this was a turning point as Melanie had more determination and drive to hit back. She wanted people to hear what she thought about celebrity life, so what does she do she writes a song about celebrity life, a simple solution. Next Best Superstar, this is a song that could have easily got on to Melanie's first album Northen Star. "Sell your life; sell your soul telling everyone you know You're living your dream" This line from the single shows that people who want to go into the music business work so hard to get there and the ones who are criticised go back to when they were at the beging of their music career dreaming that they would be the biggest superstar. This didn't happen to Melanie until her second album which i feel did not deserve the criticism that it recieved. Going on into the new album Beautiful Intentions, It opens with the absoloutley superb song Beautiful Intentions. This song is amazing once you hear it you want to listen to it over and over. The guitar, the drums, the vocals eveything is superb. It's going to be a huge hit. Last Night On Earth is the same aswell other hits include Little Peice Of Me, Never Say Never and You'll Get Yours. And of course there are a few more mellow songs such as Better Alone and Here and Now. Both of these show the sensitive side to Melanie as we saw in Melanie's Second album.
The year 2005 is looking very bright for Melanie C especially In April with her first single Next Best Superstar is released followed a week later by the release of the Album Beautiful Intentions. And to go with that Melanie is going on tour across the whole of th UK.
This for me is the best album of Melanie's solo carrer and all thats left to say is Beautiful Intentions is a must buy album for 2005!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Melanie C fans will love it, 21 Feb 2007
This review is from: Beautiful Intentions (Audio CD)
A more mature and independent outing for Melanie C within her Red Girls Records label. Lyrics reflecting her tenure in the recording industry and sometimes biting back, she has established with this album that "girl power" was deservedly hers. Melanies vocals shine in these more aggressive songs sometimes aimed at the music industry that helped make her famous and eventually abandoned her. Rockier and more edgy than her first two albums, independently produced Beautiful Intentions allowed Melanie to make the kind of music she wanted to make and showcases her maturing and ever-improving vocal ability.

The obligatory and the previously commercially successful ballads are well suited to Melanie's nimble vocal range, her high register is smooth and flawless and in the rocking songs, her voice has power and depth. "You'll Get Yours" and "Here and Now" are the ballad standouts for me while the rocking title track "Beautiful Intentions", the catchy "Last Night on Earth", the sly "Little Piece of Me" and "Take Your Pleasure" top the uptempo tracks. The other two ballads are "Good Girl" and the released as a single, "Better Alone".

The other tracks are worth repeated listens, keeping the amount of tracks you skip to a minimum. The best of these tracks being "You Will See" and the other single release "Next Best Superstar". I personally would have liked to have seen "Last Night on Earth" and "You Will See" selected as additional single releases as they are two of the strongest tracks.

Though rockier than her past projects, Beautiful Intentions is more akin to pop/rock than traditional hard rock but Melanie manages to infuse her own tastes into the music she creates while keeping it mostly mainstream. Overall a great solid album for Melanie C as an independent. A must have album for Melanie C fans. There's still more fans out there to be had, this album is Melanie's best project to date and is a step in the right direction in the continuing effort to reach them. If she continues to produce the level of quality found in this album, she will acheive the superstardom that she truly deserves. As a prophetic line from one of her songs, You Will See.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Beautiful Intentions
Beautiful Intentions by Melanie C (Audio CD - 2005)