1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep them locked up! Please!, 21 Nov 2008
This review is from: Community Service 2 (Audio CD)
I loved the first Community Service mix by TCM, but I really do think this one surpasses it. There is so much to recommend on the record, although it is arguably a bit more commercial than the first (not that you hear a lot of Evil Nine and Koma & Bones played on the radio, but if you listen a lot of breaks, most of the artists will be very familiar). I don't think the commercial factor detracts from it though - if anything, it is a retrospective of some of the really great tunes that have been floating around for the last few years.

Amongst the highlights are cracking mix of Roadhouse Blues by the Doors mixing sublimely into We Have The Energy by Evil Nine, the welcome return of Keep Hope Alive (the first TCM tune I ever heard and which made me buy the first album) and stunning build up and execution of Reign by Unkle and Ian Brown.

The only one that lets it down for me is the New Order track. I will probably be vilified for saying so, but I have never been a huge New Order fan, and I found it didn't sit that well with the rest of tracks on here, especially coming after the tough industrial sound of Starting Over and Bound Too Long. Still, it is a niggling point and just down to personal preference.

Overall, a superb compilation, long may the Crystal's community sentence be enforced!

Community Service 2
Community Service 2 by The Crystal Method (Audio CD - 2005)