5.0 out of 5 stars far more lush than the dvd
I already had the dvd of this but leant it out, and as usual it was never returned. So I ordered it on blu ray thinking well it cant possibly be any better than the dvd.

How wrong could I be? The colours are FAR more amazing, the sound is incredible and the clarity outstanding.

If you are a fan of this film its worth paying that little bit more for...
Published on 12 Jun 2009 by Daz

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but beautifully filmed
As the screen adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's magnificent stage masterpiece, this movie is a must-see musical. It is beautifully filmed and certainly does its stage counterpart visual justice. However, this movie has more notable flaws than other recent movie musicals such as Chicago, Mamma Mia or Hairspray. For starts, I find it does a rather poor interpretation of...
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by Melissa Rose

‹ Previous | 136 37 38 39 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars An great film, but with one major flaw., 6 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Phantom of the Opera is a magical recreation of the fantastic musical. Emily Rossum as Christine and Patrick Wilson as Raoul are excellently casted, and both have outstanding voices that work beautiful together.
The only negative point of the film (and it is such a critical part) is the weak casting of Gerald Butler as the Phantom, who fails to make the powerful impact that's required of him. His singing is more often than not off key, and distracts from the intensity of the scene.
For those who have not yet seen the stage show, then this is a must see. For those who have, and can compare the screen Phantom with the stage Phantom, this will only be a disappointment, and I would strongly recommend buying tickets for another visit to the stage show!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but should have been so much more..., 20 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Firstly, I am a big fan of the stage version of Phantom and have seen the London production twice. Secondly, I have been waiting for this film since I was 12 and had incredibly high expectations for this film. However, my impossibly high expectations aside, I would have to say that this film, for me, could well be a dictionary definition of 'unfulfilled opportunity'. I know that the original cast could never have been used to make this film, let's be honest, they are getting on a bit now, but what on Earth made Andrew Lloyd Webber settle with this cast?! Emmy Rossum, while pleasently sweet and innocent, does not have a voice that is powerful enough to do justice to the role of 'Christine', and Gerard Butler can't sing full stop. I know that many will argue against that statement, but make a comparison with any of the great actors who brought the role of the 'Phantom' to life on stage and you will see that there was no justifiable reason to settle with someone who constantly sounds like they are struggling with their vocal range. While not a completely awful actor, Butler just never seems like a great choice, and certainly not good enough to fill the boots of Michael Crawford. I am rather annoyed that his performance will be the one that is heard by most people.
The supporting cast is much stronger, with the Opera House owners and Minnie Driver's 'Carlotta' standing out as the strongest in the film. The actress who sings Driver's songs for her is great also, and is, incidentally, the same person who played on stage when I saw Phantom in 1997. I was however rather disappointed that Jim Savident (Fred the Butcher from 'Coronation Street') who played M. André in the original cast, did not reprise his role. Miranda Richardson also brings life to her role of Madame Giry, who I felt was a rather underused character in the stage version. Strange that she was the only member of the cast to adopt a French accent though, you get away with it on stage but in the film it just seems like an unwarrented distraction.
The great supporting actors however can not deter from the fact that this film is rather long-winded and has no real sense of direction. Even the fact that some of the score from the second act of the film has been cut out doesn't help the fact that you need a break after the first half. The crashing of the chandelier is kept until the end of the film, which means that there is a total void of action in the middle. OK, Joseph Bouquet is killed by the Phantom, but I wanted more. Not once did I feel that Butler was a real malice- in fact, in Joel 'Batman Forever/ and Robin' Schumacher terms, the Phantom feels about as threatening as Jim Carrey's the 'Riddler'- that is to say, as threatening as a litter of new born puppies. They seem to forget halfway through that this a horror story with a romantic plot, and not the other way around. OK, I know that the stage version is hardly 'The Exorcist', but the dark, gothic atmosphere of that version is all but gone here, and we are left with what seems to be a Richard Curtis romance, with the Hugh Grant role played by a madman. I wanted this film to be more 'Horror, Actually' than 'Four Funerals and a Wedding'.
Still, bad comments aside, I have given this film a 4 Star rating, and I want to justify this. Firstly, here I can see Phantom anytime I want without paying 20 a piece for theatre tickets. Secondly, having this on DVD will be much better than the cast recording that currently sits on my shelf. And thirdly because the parts of the film that are done well are done incredibly well. I love the chandelier raising sequence in the beginning, I adored the choreography of the 'Masquerade' scene, and I absolutely want to have a Dolby 5.1 remix of the music to blast out of my speaker system! I just wish that ALW could have waited for a superior leading cast, made the whole thing a bit less syrupy, and chosen a better director. Imagine how great this film would have been if Tim Burton, king of gothic movie-making, had been signed up to do this. What a waste! Still, it can't be helped now. One thing I would like however, is a seperate audio soundtrack on the DVD which allows the leads to be dubbed with the voices of better singers (Crawford and Brightman, dare I ask??) in the same way that they did with Driver and 'Carlotta'. Still, odds of this happening are low, and I guess that the only way for Webber to please his fans would be to include info of the stage version on a packed, high quality DVD. ALW, if you are listening, you can still offer the goods, bring out a great DVD worthy of the stage version, and while you're at it, please bring out a decent DVD of 'Evita'- the French have had their collector's edition for years- where is ours???

2.0 out of 5 stars The Phantyom at his worst, 4 Dec 2011
G. Courtheoux "guy" (paris france) - See all my reviews
The film is to be seen only for the very first scenes, the musical opening ,especially
but what a shame that the Phantom is in a lack of charismatism, especially in his voice. They had quite a few very good tenors, and singers that would he ve been great for that part
Too bad
Happilly for any fan of the phantom, the liove version for the 25th anniversary is sooooooooooooooo GREAT, that you would not miss it

3.0 out of 5 stars A good attempt at a movie that shouldn't have been attempted to begin with, 17 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
As a diehard phan, I just had to see this movie the day it came out. My expectations were low...how do you pull of such a spectacle on the screen? It was ok, Rossum was perfect for the role with the innocence and vocal quality that I always felt Christine should display. Gerard Butler was fairly good too...although he seemed a little young for the role, I think it's something he could pull off on stage in the future. I felt, though, that the movie seemed to lack some of the charm from the stage production. But, if you are looking for an entertaining and heart-breaking film, this could be it. Just don't try to compare it to the stage version or you may be slightly disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I cannot complain about any additions to the plot, as it is a fairly thin premise intially and actually benefits from this. However, the acting from the lead characters is dire! The supporting cast are good - Simon Callow, the excellent Miranda Richardson, Minnie Driver - but how on earth did Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson and Gerard Butler get through the first round of auditions? Emmy Rossum sadly cannot act her way out of a paperbag - at times of most distress, she merely looks as if she's mislaid a glove. Gerard Butler has an interesting voice, but it certainly shouldn't be in this show. Patrick Wilson is - as another reviewer commented - a bit wet.
As with Chicago, you have to ask why, when the world is full of excellent musical actors who perform these shows day in and day out on Broadway, the West End etc, the casting directors choose actors who have to be taught to sing and dance... Rene Zellweger gets away with it in Chicago. Emmy Rossum doesn't here. There is not even the excuse of any of the leads being a "Big Box Office Name" (ie Richard Gere/Madonna).
However, the effects are spectacular, the scenery amazing. The chorus numbers are good. So by all means buy this and watch it. But if you even half enjoy it, then do yourself a real favour, and go and see it at a theatre.
(Alternatively - go and read Terry Pratchett's "Maskerade"!!)

2.0 out of 5 stars A tad OTT..., 18 Nov 2006
K. Hall (Devon, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I bought this having read and loved the book, but the film version? Not my cup of tea that's for sure. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of musicals, but this is too much. I know it is supposed to be epic and fanciful, but lighted candles rising from the murky depths of an underground lake? A white horse in the dungeons waiting to take the bewitched Christine a mere 20 yards for added effect? Truly I wanted to pull out my eyes and stuff them into my ears so that I could neither hear it nor see it any longer. Too much, too long. Stick to the Leroux original and let your mind create your own world.

2.0 out of 5 stars Drop the mask, 3 May 2005
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Firstly it looks great, the contrast between the BW sections emphases the rich colourful visuals. But you know, the phantom story is rather weak and the time skips just confuses the simple plot. This is all about the music, and what we get is a pretty faithful filming of the stage show. The sung narrative is dull and you find yourself struggeling to understand what should have been spoken. Fastforward to the good tunes, and you have a good music dvd, but not a film. What I can not forgive, in a musical, is the flaws on the soundtrack, that cause the music to drop out several times. Shame, this is no Evita.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pirates.....Why a 4th???, 14 Nov 2011
B. Handling "Wujito" (Stranraer, Scotland) - See all my reviews
When the movie started it was as if JD was trying too hard to be funny. As the film progressed it became better, but not remotely as good as the trilogy before it!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars scary, 23 May 2009
B. Gilbert (TADWORTH SURREY ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
A DARKER VERSION THAN THE STAGE SHOW AND CERTAINLY DIFFERENT TO THE 1944 CLAUDE RAINES VERSION(BETTER?)

2.0 out of 5 stars Bored out of my skull..sorry Gerry, 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I only sat through this because I'm a Gerry Butler fan, because I generally don't like musicals. I still don't like musicals. This was a very lush production visually. Emmy Rossum is a stellar singer and Minnie Driver offered some welcome comic relief with her over-the-top character, but Patrick Wilson was so bland he could not possibly offer any real competition against the Phantom for the affections of the heroine of the piece. Sigh. Gerry sings surprisingly well, but I found the raw, rough edge that they opted for in some of his songs not always successful. I always thought it was Carlotta whom the Phantom murdered not some backstage hand. Couldn't understand the decision to go that route because it makes the Phantom less sympathetic if he just seems to randomly murder someone rather than doing it of his obsessive love of whats-her-name. Oh well. Not my kind of film, but not their fault, they certainly tried hard enough.

‹ Previous | 136 37 38 39 | Next ›

The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004]
The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004] by Joel Schumacher (DVD - 2005)
4.51