Style Name: Stand Alone|Change

on 16 August 2009
In 30 years I had only two Black and Decker strimmers and they just did the job and I never gave them much thought. The last one finally wore out in September 2008. I was desperate to give the garden a final tidy in a brief spell without rain and so I bought this from my B&Q because it was the only electric trimmer they had in stock.

It was awful. The line kept breaking off after trimming a few yards of lawn edge and the mains cable was very stiff. It was impossible to stop the cable coiling itself up in a knot all the time. I suspected the low noise strimming line was snapping because the flutings on it created weak points that were overstressed by the torque from the 500w motor.

However it appeared to me that it was otherwise well made and that the flaws were limited to a couple of Bosch's stupid design choices. So I replaced the supplied line with the 1.5mm medium duty one I used for my previous strimmer (B&Q Refill SL002). Then I cut off the mains cable about 18" from the handle and put a plug on it so that I could connect it to the perfectly satisfactory cable I use for my other electric garden tools.

That cured all the problems and if it had been supplied working as well as it does now, I would have given it 5 stars and suggested everyone bought one.
on 5 June 2011
This is a good strimmer. Although I read some negative reviews before I bought it, I decided to buy it anyway, and have not regretted doing so. It is well made, and easy to use, if a little heavy. The line does not break, and providing you check its length every few minutes, and let more out occasionally, it will not get lost inside the spool. The heavy duty line option is easy to put on, and works well. I have been pleased so far.
on 16 May 2009
I have just taken delivery of a Bosch Art Combitrim 30 although I didn't buy from Amazon as I managed to save about £15 elsewhere (sorry Amazon). I felt compelled to write a review though as I had seen other poor reviews and wanted to "put the record straight" as it were.

Maybe the previous reviewer received a faulty product but when I got mine out of the box, the renowned Bosch quality was instantly recognisable. It is quite heavy but the wheels make moving it around quite easy once they're attached. It feels more robust than most other strimmers I have looked at. The cutting line is thin but when i used it I was impressed that it didn't break even when, on several occasions, it came up against the log roll that borders my lawn. I haven't used the heavy duty line that is supplied yet so can't comment on that. Time will tell I suppose as to whether it earns it's 4 star rating but for the money you can't go far wrong
on 2 June 2012
I have an uneven garden so lawnmowers are no good for me therefore i always strim it using a heavy duty strimmer, after my last one finally bit the dust i decided on a Bosch and i've not been disappointed, unlike the last one i had it has wheels and you can adjust it for different uses plus as someone who is small having the ability to shorten it was another plus for me. I'd recommend this item to anyone.
on 20 August 2010
As another poster said, you buy bosch for quality, but alas not for a trimmer you don't. We have a fairly small garden so the unit has not had to work hard but recently the plastic reel holder just fell off. It turns out the metal spindle had shreded the plastic spool holder. I phoned Bosch but they don't do a seperate spool holder, you have to buy the motor and effectively everthing but the main handle. A total waste of £50. It is now in the garage, the motor is good, the spool is fairly new, the cable is good, the handle is good but it doesn't trim grass. Who designs a metal round spindle connected to a 500W motor with a plastic spool holder with a round hole. How about using a hexagaonal spindle fitting into a hexagonal plastic spool ?
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2010
I have only used it a couple of times, feels way too heavy, the cable keeps getting in the way, however, it does the job, comes with a bunch of replacements cables too.
on 6 October 2013
This is a great grass trimmer, trimms very well does my lawn edging,and it suits me very well,it realy is for the men around the garden as it is a little heaver than some.
on 27 September 2008
We rely heavily on the good name of Bosch and we have Bosch everything - freezer, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc., all absolutely excellent. Hence our decision to buy a Bosch strimmer. Sadly however it turned out to be useless - the first few times we used it, within seconds of starting the motor, the nylon cutting line recoiled within its own spool and proved almost impossible to re-thread. Plus it's heavy and ungainly. Our worst consumable durable buy for many a long year.
on 29 June 2011
The Bosch Combitrim 30 is a very well thought out piece of equipment and is capable or so much more than a standard strimmer. I would recommend it with confidence.

So worth the extra money that you pay against a standard strimmer.
on 31 July 2012
This is the most annoying, unreliable and poorly designed item I have ever owned. It cannot cope with anythng other than short grass - everything else causes it to throw a fit of the vapours, snap the line, stick or generally jam up. Sometimes I have to stop every 2 feet or so, unplug it, remove the spool cover, remove the spool, rewind the cutting line and replace everything. If you choose to buy your own replacement line instead of Bosch's ferociously expensive replacement spools, the line jams constantly. It would be quicker using nail scissors.
It might be ok for a tiny patch of manicured lawn turf but if you want to actually strim anything tougher than inch high grass, forget it.
Mine is the older version which has a completely pointless roller on the base which simply jams up with cut grass and makes it really heavy and unwieldy. Again, the roller might have some point if you are using it on a postage stamp garden in place of a proper lawn mower - personally I would rather use shears.
My previous strimmer was a basic model Bosch which lasted without any problems for nigh on 20 years. Because I hate this model so much I will never buy anything made by Bosch again.