on 24 April 2009
I spent a bit more on a replacement strimmer last year hoping that going for a name like Bosch would see more than the 5 year life that our old cheap and cheerful basic strimmer gave us.

This product looks good on paper, and for the first few uses I was pretty pleased. However, there were a few niggles - such as the extending handle failing to stay tight. Over time, things got quite a lot worse - excessive vibration from the motor and a dramatic increase in noise. Finally, the spinning head started to come loose. There's no way of tightening it and eventually it actually fell off during use. It has a plastic toothed thread that has been completely stripped. Bosch do not sell separate replacement heads.

There really is no advantage in the swivel head. The line feed is pretty good, when it stays attached. The balance was ok, and I was quite impressed with the cutting quality, particularly with the heavy duty lines supplied.

Not a glowing review either for the product or for Bosch. on balance, I'd not recommend this. Best to stick with a cheaper model, as there don't seem to be any significant advantages to the extra cost of more expensive models, and at this rate you'll need to replace it in a years time.
66 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2009
Foolish of me to ignore previous bad reviews on this product .... Thinking that Bosch was a really good make and that surely the other reviews were just a "bad batch" . My experience with this product lasted just over an hour. Some my think it was "user fault" but after 15 years + worth of doing gardening I feel I know how to use a Trimmer properly.

I found it user friendly for handling. Easy to adjust and manoeuvre.
The Spool Head was awkward to remove and replace. But I guess thats also part of the safety to ensure you replace it properly.
Not a big fan of the single line feed and the very thin line that seemed to need replacing often. At one point I spent more time having to refeed the line as it kept disappearing back into the Spool Head. Looking at the Tap Spool, it seemed that a plastic covering which rapped around the line was wearing away where the line was threaded through ... this might be the reason the line was dissappearing back into the Spool Head... but dont quote me on that...

Eventually after about an hour of stop/start trimming ... the Feed Tap Button come off whilst using it , sending the Spool Head in one direction and a spring in the another direction. And if there was any other parts (like a nut that Im sure fastened the Feed Button to the Trimmer Head), that was not found. And that was the end of my gardening work for the day. Brand new Bosch Trimmer that lasted over an hour.
So overall, it was easy to use ( part from removing/replacing Spool Head )
Nice and powerful enough for trimming edges , but obviously not reliable
on 11 April 2010
This is the worst garden trimmer I have ever owned. It is so combersome and user unfriendly I find it hard to believe it ever got into production. I bought a Bosch as I have had Bosch drills etc but this trimmer takes the biscuit in terms of poor build quality and operator design. Back to Black and Decker. Unfortunately I have had to give it one star although in my opinion it deserves NO stars.
on 24 June 2013
Do not buy this product!
I write this having spent last evening in hospital. When my previous B&D strimmer died after several years problem-free service, I bought this Bosch model about a month ago expecting the quality normally associated with the name. As with other reviewers, I found the spool very difficult to remove, and the line would break constantly, necessitating stops every few metres.
Yesterday, 5 minutes after grumbling about the device to my wife, the whole spool mechanism flew off in use, with bits of plastic hitting me in the face and eyes.
I have facial cuts, and lacerations to the surfaces of both eyes. A trip to my local A&E and transfer to the eye dept of another hospital have made me realise I am lucky not to have lost my sight. There is really nothing more to say.
on 19 July 2010
I got this to replace a faithful Black & Decker which had just died after MANY years of service.

This was falling apart inside of a couple of months. Not at all heavily used in a garden boredr edge smaller than half a tennis court.

Strimmer line is eaten like it just does not exist. The head which holds the line fell off and it was only my specific mechanical knowledege and tools that fixed it rather than chuck it.

All in all, NOT WORTH THE TIME EFFORT OR MONEY.

A severe disappointment as it is Bosch which has never let me down with any other tool. Maybe this was a Friday afternoon special but I would not take the same chance again nor advise anyone else to do so.
on 27 July 2010
Only had it since the Spring not used it more than eight times, the cover and catridge flew off today along with the spring ,washer and nut that operates the line feeder,the local Bosch agents tell me these items are not even listed in bosch,s parts list. Unbelievable.I,ve also notice that the line guard/shroud is also cracked and its had very little use, I also only have a small garden so there ia very little trimming required. It is also not as comfortable to use as my previous one which was much lighter and lasted 16 years trimming a big garden.Very disappointed with this purchase.
on 15 June 2010
I bought this thinking as it was made by Bosch then it would be good. How wrong this turned out to be. The line they supply in the machine kept on breaking si I decided to fit the extra strong line which is supplied with the strimmer. Well I would have fitted the line if I could get the spool off. The instructions make it sound so easy, hold in position and turn counter clockwise. Well I tried and I gave up it would just not move. I think the trouble is that the parts are very smooth and I could not get any grip. I will try and get a pair of gloves to see if I can get a bit more purchase. Overall a very poor product I think I will save for a petrol driven strimmer.
on 7 May 2012
This strimmer looks good and is from a quality supplier but it is heavy, the cord breaks easily, the system to extend the cord is not as easy to use as expected. Basically it is cumbersome and even with the addition of a wheel set, not that user friendly. Should have stuck with Flymo
on 22 April 2009
It seems that most of the garden (s)trimmers are not built to last these days. When my last one quit I thought I'd try Bosch as they (have in the past) had a reputation for making good equipment. However, I have this for about 18 months, it doesn't get an awful lot of use (small lawn), but now the head has come loose and won't stay on. I also had difficulty getting the line from the usual DIY shops, even the ones that sell the exact same model and had to resort to third party line. Now I find I can't get a replacement Bosch head anywhere, not even from Bosch themselves. As for function, it eats up line too quick, the strips work best, but are very quickly cut short. The line cover housing is very difficult to remove and there is no cable tidy; some pretty basic design flaws. Can I recommend Bosch, no I'm afraid I can't, but if you look elsewhere all trimmers seem pretty much of the same design and have the same flaws. At around 30-45 quid they're not built to last and are almost a throw-away item now. I'm going to try a 3rd party replacement head but it's almnost half the cost of a new trimmer!
on 31 July 2009
Bosch ART 23 Combitrim Electric Line Trimmer
This has turned out to be an extremely disappointing and frustrating purchase. The strimmer cord is not strong enough for my course type of grass and is constantly breaking off inside the strimmer cord container. Initially, the strimmer cord container which feels cheap and flimsy kept falling off,but now after using it on only three occasions it has seized up to such degree it cannot be removed by a simple anti-clockwise turn as instructed. I feel it is very badly designed, expecially as Bosch tools can normally be relied upon to give years of excellent service.