on 1 January 2006
Theres been a terrible accident at Area 51 and you (Cole) and your team are sent to investigate. Personally, i wouldn't have gone, but this team do. At first hand you'll be able to see the proof that we are not alone in the universe. It has a great storyline, but i honestly don't want to give any more away, so i'll leave it there.
Graphics are amazing. The lighting is brilliant and creates an eerie atmosphere that will genuinely leave you scared, especially when the only light you have is on the end of your gun. Areas are incredibly detailed, but its the enemies that will really leave you drooling. All highly original and so detailed they'll make you cry.
The gameplay is superb. Set in First Person mode (i.e. you play the game through the eyes of the character,) you will find yourself going through all sorts. From teamwork to take out large ammounts of alien hoards, to blasting from mounted guns, and even being on your own and collecting information about what exactly is going on down here in Area 51. Theres a pleasing ammount of strategy involved where each enemy requires a different way of being taken out. The AI (artifical intelligence) of the enemies is pleasingly challanging and keeps you wanting to race through the game.
I would say that this is easily one of the best first person shooters on PS2 and its a must have game for anyone who loves the genre. For anyone with a slightly nervous disposition-stay away. A great game.
on 30 May 2005
Ok here it is...I first heard of this game about a year ago. At that time i was a regular reader of the official ps2 mag. In this mag i read a preview of Area 51, which, although intriguing i was pretty sceptical mainly because the people behind it were Midway (really only known for the Mortal Kombat series and the sub-standard Suffering). I doubted that it would ever amount to anything more than a run of the mill FPS. Where FPS games are concerned I'm pretty selective, I usually only buy them for my PC (other FPS that I own are Doom 3, Painkiller and Pariah) with only Killzone being the only noteworthy fps on the ps2 (which I also own). I have to admit I did not buy this game from amazon, I actually bought it from a local games shop. The reason for this firstly was the packaging. I've never seen a game on ps2 be so well presented!! Sad as it may seem, but the way I see it the more attractively packaged something is, the more likely it is to sell, and this game is superbly presented in it's reflective steel case which looks miles better than the standard green tack that xbox owners have to put up with (1-0 to ps2 then). I'm pleased to say that it was money very well spent as it is a very polished game, from the excellent FMV, to the brilliant voice acting and suitably moodly electronic score that accompanies the action. Area 51 is very fast, very detailed in all department and is non-stop action all the way. Undeniably these days the ps2 is starting to show its age in the graphics department but even running on ps2 with 3 allies and countless enemies (all very detailed), explosions and other graphical special effects it still runs like a dream with no hint of slowdown at all!! It is a triumph of programming considering how limiting the ps2 hardware is these days. The story too is top notch sci fi fare, and anyone into conspiracy theories and alien experimentation will not be disappointed. this game should appeal to virtually anybody. It will appeal to die hard fps fans, sci fi fans, horror fans, near enough everyone!!! It truly is a great game and I find it difficult to find anything particularly wrong with it. Midway, I applaud you!!
on 13 June 2005
I was waiting for this game for months remembering how Halo gripped me all these years ago playing it for the first time. I'm not a big survival horror fan anyone who remembers the Flood attacking in near darkness in the Library level of Halo will know where I'm coming from. Area 51 is a good run and shoot game for the first level and the fire and creature graphics are pretty good for the ageing PS2 but suffers when you have to mutate later on. Killzone has more of a story but I still prefer this game for sheer scale and ambition.
on 6 January 2014
This is the best "First Person Shooter" i have played on ps2 !

Fab graphics, great controls, action packed storyline, real "sense of team purpose" in missions !

Nice range of weapons, excellent environments, realistic graphics, and a thoroughly enjoyable game play !

100% RECOMMENDED IF YOU LIKE ACTION !
on 27 June 2006
il be honest, when i purchased area 51, i didnt know too much about it, i hadnt read any reviews, i was just bored after work one night and happend to see this on sale. i was quite pleased then when i got home and found out that this is possably one of the nicest looking games on the PS2. I usually favour the Xbox over the PS2 due to the sharper graphics etc but in this case i dont think there could be much difference... its gorgeous. but the good points dont end there, im a big fan of first person shooters and if you remove the big guns (Halo 1/2, Half life 2 and time splitters 2) area 51 is probably your next best bet. the first thing i look for in an FPS is a good atmosphere, and this certainly delivers, its dark and down right eerie in places. this is added too by the voice talent leant by david duchovney of the x files and marilyn manson to name but a few. this game also happens to be very hard in places but you get a sense of achievement when you finaly get past a hard level. Area 51 isnt perfect by any means, more weapons and gadgets would have been nice (seeing as its set in a top secret military research base) there are a few nice suprises tho and seeing as its rather cheap on amazon now, theres no excuse not to buy it
on 29 August 2013
I played this years ago and loved all of it the intro is my favourite part, was amazing it gives the game the real feel and a lot of people gave it bad reviews but it in my opinion it was an amazing game. It makes you think about Area 51 and aliens but people won't believe it until they see it and even then the truth would scare them.

Play the game

Story 5/5
Scare factor 4/5
Graphics 4/5

These scores are for the ps2 gaming era
on 30 May 2010
I am very supprised that this game has 4 and a half stars
when it deserves 5!

It is a good first person shooter and very fun.
I myself wouldnt have picked it but I found out
it was a very good game.

I likke games like far cry 2 gears of war 2 and bioshock
but this was still a good game.

The graphics are very good so PLEASE BUY NOW!
on 5 November 2013
I admit I barely remember much about this game besides it being a fairly generic shooter, though now I think about it I do remember you had the ability to mutate into some-kind of human-alien hybrid thing to take on some of the tougher aliens or in tense situations.
on 3 December 2011
played this game few years back and have to say this game is a lot of fun as you go into area 51. what from aliens to ufo"s, this game has everything you would expect! for ps2 graphics there pretty good and the sound is as well.if you like alien sort of stuff then give this game ago!worth the playing with plenty levels!!
on 24 June 2005
This game is absolutly brilliant. It is brilliant. Buy this instead of Call of Duty, this game is fab. It made me jump when i played it late at night in the total darkness! What an experience! Buy It!