Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£1.50+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 May 2007
I heard this CD via my girlfriend who picked it up from a library, so I knew nothing at all about it. Hearing it for the first time was like watching an expert martial arts display: an incredible amount of Wow! factor and a comparably chunky amount of respect for the mastery of rhythm that Levent and his band show. I mean, they are as tight as an ant's wallet.

Primarily the album is about pure percussion, drums talking back and forth to each other, rhythms rolling and weaving, frenetically grooving in odd time signatures. The guest instruments include electric and bass guitars and the Turkish flute, and these come in with the drums in a range of styles, from sitar drones to frenetic bass solos, all working brilliantly with the percussion.

One of the things that struck me about the album was how it had the same qualities of some of the drum and bass I'd been listening to, like Squarepusher, but obviously without any sequencers or samples, just sheer skill and artistry. Perhaps Mr. Squarepusher could call up Mr. Levent, put away his aging D&D samples and make way for some fresh rolling beats.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse