5.0 out of 5 stars Not big enough?
Published on 11 Nov 2011 by D. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor seal
I thought this was a great buy until the rubber seal around the filter started to wear out. Now I get mouthfuls of coffee granules and I have had to stop using it. However they are cheap, and as someone else pointed out it can save a fortune if you drink a lot of coffee at work.

I will probably replace mine but I will have my fingers crossed that the seal is...
Published on 5 Nov 2007 by Mr. A. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Not big enough?, 11 Nov 2011
D. Cooper "MS Boffin" (Adlington, Cheshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum (Kitchen & Home)
There is no question that the SmartCafe mug is a brilliant device. I have owned and used several over the last 5 or 6 years and cannot imagine how I would enjoy my morning coffee without one. There are hundreds of reviews telling you how fantastic the mug is so I'm not going to repeat all that here but I do want to answer those few that keep complaining about coffee grains in their coffee and the size of the cup.

Here's how I make my perfect coffee. The aim is to keep all the coffee grounds below the fill line. Remember, any grounds above the fill line are NOT trapped by the plunger:

1) Before you start, make sure the cup is DRY inside. That will prevent coffee grounds sticking to the sides of the cup and sneaking past the plunger.
2) Put the coffee into the bottom of the cup - easy if you follow (1)
3) Add the hot water GENTLY - no splashing grounds up the sides - and most important ***FILL TO A LEVEL BELOW THE FILL LINE*** - a centimetre or so below the fill line should be OK
4) Stir GENTLY - keeping the liquid and grounds BELOW the fill line
5) Wait for 30 seconds or so to allow the coffee grounds to start to sink
6) Put the plunger into the cup so the filter just goes into the liquid and seals against the sides of the cup
7) Add more hot water, filling the cup as much as you like. Now that the coffee grains are trapped below the filter you don't have to worry about the fill line. No need to be gentle now either, you want the extra hot water to mix in with the rest
8) Allow to brew for whatever time suits you and your coffee, then push the plunger down GENTLY. If you push too hard and too fast you may get HOT coffee squirting out of the cup.
9) The end result is a FULL cup of perfect coffee, free of coffee grounds.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Just common sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great office gadgets, 12 May 2005
L. Lilley (Northamptonshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I use mine at work just to get away from the awful coffee machine. Great value and works really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This coffee addict is impressed!, 4 Oct 2013
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I hate Instant Coffee - try as I might, I've never found one that comes even near the taste of REAL coffee. But I don't always want to make a cafetiere of coffee and I certainly don't want to buy one of those expensive capsule coffee makers - apart from anything else, I've no space in my kitchen for one.

I sent off for the Smartcafé Cafetiere Hot Mug and I am delighted with it. When I opened the package I was immediately impressed with the quality of the cup and I couldn't wait to try it. I put a half a dessert spoon of ground coffee in the bottom and topped up with near-boiling water, waited a couple of minutes and inserted the little plunger and pressed it down. With a spot of warm milk, I had a perfect cup of real coffee.

The benefit of the thermal sides is that the sides stay cool while the coffee stays hot. As someone who sometimes takes his time over a cup of coffee this is just perfect. Although it doesn't have a lid the coffee stays hot for a surprisingly long time.

I have had this a few days now and am using it often and continue to be very impressed with it. For me, it's enabled me to have a cup of coffee whenever I want it with the minimum of fuss. I could have done with this many years ago but at least I've got it now and often find myself talking about how good it it with friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart product, smart choice, 24 May 2011
I bought this product again in 2011 to replace one I bought in 2004! It does what it says on the tin! It is a convenient and economical way to enjoy your favourite fresh coffee; strong, weak, black, white, always hot, however you like it. Saves money, saves a trip to the coffee shop and nothing but coffee grounds to throw away. I use mine at work and it is a welcome excuse to get away from my work station and make a reviving cup of coffee. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee solution, 27 Mar 2009
Finally I have purchased one of these. A friend has had one for years and yet I could never find a shop that stocked them. I love proper coffee but am the only one in my house who drinks it and so a full cafetiere is a bulky wasteful item. This is also far faster when I'm wanting a single cup before I head out to work in the morning. It is simple to use and the insulated mug prevents the coffee from cooling down too much whilst you wait. Sure, you can get the occasional coffee ground in the bottom of your drink but I find that with my cafetiere as well.

My only problem is the size of the cup. The plunger apparatus and grounds occupy the bottom of the mug and the max fill line is quite a long way from the top. Look at the picture. The colour change on the outside of the mug is NOT the max fill line. The max fill line is BELOW the top of the handle. Fill the mug past this line and coffee will leak out around the little tab at the top of the plunger. It all adds up to a coffee mug that holds only half a standard mug of coffee.

I love the thought behind this mug, I use mine every day and it is far superior to instant coffee. I just wish it was a little larger

5.0 out of 5 stars Get one if you want real coffee - cheaper than the cafe bars, 16 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum (Kitchen & Home)
I've owned one of these for over 16 years - use it at work every morning for that fresh coffee taste at a low cost. Having item combined means less washing up and insulation means your brew stays hot far longer than in a normal mug.Plus if its ever dropped it doesn't break like a pottery one would. Buy one!

Update - Sept 2012: I have now owned one of these since 1990 and its still used several times a day for making my office coffee. The seal round the plunger is starting to let some grinds past - but be fair - its 22 years old.

I have a second one for home use too. I cant recommend them highly enough.

They even appear in films now too: (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Junkies never leave home without it!, 18 April 2006
This review is from: Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum (Kitchen & Home)
This mug is the BEST way to produce coffee without all the clutter of excess equipment. So very simple but very effective, I've not had a bad cup of coffee and never been so easy to clean than a messy cafetiere. The thermal properties of this mug also excell, as it stays hot for a long time and will not burn your hand.

Also unlike other plastic mug products, you don't taste the plastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars How have I not come across this until now?!?!, 12 Sep 2013
So I have been using classic cafetieres/coffee presses and non of them hold up to this with such a simple design it is easy to clean, quick to dry, simple to use and stays hot for 40+ minuets.

I find that I am now using less coffee, enjoying a drink that lasts longer (heat wise) and not having that annoying feeling when trying to spoon coffee out of a glass container at the end to clean wash it up. It has a double layered plastic wall that means your hand stays cool when holding it, yet the drink is piping hot, the press comes out 90% of the time clean and just needs a rinse and using a tea spoon it is very easy to get the coffee out and put it in the bin/compost, this is mainly because it is a wider size than classic cafetieres and so there is more room to move inside.

A fair few reviews have slated this product saying that there are always coffee granules in there drink, but if you follow simple steps it rarely if ever happens.

1. Pop your required amount of coffee into the bottom
2. Fill with boiling water until the water level is half an inch bellow the 'max fill line'
3. Stir gently so the coffee begins to mix in
4. Wait 3 - 5 minuets for it to brew
5. Place the coffee press in, pushing down slowly so nothing spurts out
6. Fill with more boiling water, leaving enough room for milk and sugar (add as required)
7. Drink

It reminds me a little of a camping cup, but I use it at home for all my coffee needs, a really good investment and far cheaper than other alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must for coffee lovers, 18 Nov 2008
Mrs. K. Mcbirnie "stuntmoose" (East Riding, UK) - See all my reviews
Over the last two years several of these mugs have found their way in to our house, and we now use them on a daily basis. Not only does your freshly brewed coffee stay hot (unlike a traditional cafetiere,) these mugs allows you to make one just one cup at a time. I honestly couldn't function without my smart cafe mugs - we even took two in our suitcases when we went to Skiathos this summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars All-round great product, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum (Kitchen & Home)
I've owned two Smartcafe cafetieres for over ten years, and they have proved themselves a quality product. Yes, you have to push the filter down slowly, to avoid splash-back, and there may be a few stray grounds in the coffee, but this is all part of drinking fresh coffee, rather than freeze-dried instant rubbish, which tastes as if it's made from roasted acorns and recycled toenails.

Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum