4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a chick filck
I watched this with my husband and son and was waiting for them to either find something else to do or trash it at the end. Instead it had them laughing, but because it has some really funny 'British' comedic lines. There is a plot and a real story and it seems to have done the trick as far as appealing to audiences on both sides of the Atlantic.
This is a...
Published on 6 Mar 2006 by Heatherdel

3.0 out of 5 stars Every woman has exactly the love life she wants!
Published on 7 Nov 2006 by C. Leenhouwers

3.0 out of 5 stars Every woman has exactly the love life she wants!, 7 Nov 2006
C. Leenhouwers "claireann82" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
Those lines have haunted me ever since watching this film. In fact there are a lot of lines in the film which are very thought provoking which is quite surprising when one considers that this film is about a woman called Kat (Debra Messing) who hires a male escort called Nick (Dermot Mulroney) to escort her to her sister's wedding and remind her ex-boyfriend of what he lost!

The concept is a bit far-fetched but from the beginning I was pleasantly surprised and very entertained. Mulroney is stunning and plays Nick as someone so alarmingly confident and switched on it's not hard to see why he has found such success in his chosen profession! Kat is so desperate to please everyone and so badly burned from the past that you really feel for her and I think that's where this film works.

You really care about Kat and so, as Nick sees all her special qualities, you become desperate for them to get together. There are some twists at the end of the film which pull everything together and force the character's to resolve what they want. All in all I loved the way England is presented in this movie and I felt all of the actors did a great job. It's a rom-com so it's never going to be an oscar contender but it's pleasant enough and most definately watchable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a chick filck, 6 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
This is a thoughtful, well acted film. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy without being sickly sweet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great girly movie, 13 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't have too high expectations for this film as it was somewhat slated at the cinemas and being a film swamped with English actors didn't inspire confidence, however I was very pleasantly surprised, this simple story of a American women attending a wedding with a dial a date guy to make her ex jealous made it seem like a more realistic story than some hollywood blockbusters, and although everyone was terribly good-looking you still felt that it could happen to you. Lots of laughs and mishaps and terrific acting made this a really good film, and though not wanting to spoil the ending no women would be disappointed with the happy ending that follows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, really fantastic!!, 4 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this from Amazon and both me and my wife were so impressed with it that we watched it again straight afterwards. I've never watched a film for the second time, immediately after the first viewing before. Granted the film is only about 1 hour 20 mins long, but even so we watched it the second time because it's really great.
I didn't expect the big twist in the film and upon watching it for the second time some of the earlier scenes in the film took on a whole new meaning.
As many other reviewers have said this is a warm, funny and thoroughly enjoyable movie that i recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wedding Date, 24 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastically entertaining, funny, feel good film with a wonderful cast and soundtrack. Such a shame that the soundtrack doesn't seem to be available on CD. Certainly a film to watch and enjoy over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars short and sweet, 13 April 2007
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
An easy on the brain romantic comedy with a story straight out of a romance novel. Debra Messing is off to England for her sisters wedding. Single for the past two years after her boyfriend of seven years dumped her for no apparent reason she isn't very keen on it. Especially since Jeremy (her ex) is the best man. In an attempt to feign having moved on she hires a date from the yellow pages. Needless to say a bond forms between the two in the backdrop of hen nights, stag does and secret confessions which may threaten the wedding altogether.

It has some funny moments without being cheesy and even though it's been done a hundred times before I found it an enjoyable movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding Date, 18 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film. On first watching I struggled to see exactly when the love sparked between the main characters (thought this did not detract from my enjoyment of the film). Repeated watching has, however, provided insights into this plus other extra touches to the film I did not see first time round. I disagree with the review criticizing Debra Messing for playing a film character too similar to her one out Will & Grace. While there were elements reminiscent of Grace in this performance her character seemed gentler and less in your face, but still retained the excellent comic timing.
Dermot Mulroney was excellent as the hired escort. I'd started watching the film thinking I'd want Kat to get back with her ex rather rather than him (he looked a bit too male model for me) but how wrong I was! Dermot has a very subtle way of acting, very understated - you know, the raised eyebrows that convey loads! I also thought the performances from Jack Davenport (the Groom) & Sarah Parish (the sisters' cousin) were excellent.
I love this film. It is exactly what you'd expect from a rom-com - romance, comedy and a happy ending (similar idea to Four Weddings and a Funeral)! Some of the London accents were a bit strange but as a Londoner I gave up long ago expecting anything different in a film!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding Date, 5 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic feelgood chick flick. If you loved pretty woman then you will love this. Perfect film for females of all ages, sarah parish is brill, laugh out laugh and totally induulge yourself in this romantic gem. Soundtrack is excellent too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding Date Delight, 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
Okay first things first. I am a bloke. The first time I saw this film I had an upset tummy on a Friday. Since going out was obviously off, I was lying on the couch under the duvet trying to find something to watch on TV.Geez a soppy girl comedy was my first thought when it started. And then Debra Messing appeared, WOW! my tummy might not have been working properly but there was nothing wrong with my hormones. She is beautiful and she is lovely in this film. So many nice moments to choose from, for me when she awakes on the plane and is a beautiful mess, the bathroom scene when the escort is showering,the car scene,so many to choose from. Anyway I digress, it is actually a really good feel good movie. Wonderfully acted, incredibly funny and at times very tender. I know the film centres on the emotions of the female lead, but I think some of the emotions being seen are present in both sexes. Everytime you think you know where the film is heading, bang it is off in another direction. However at its heart and I am not sure better known UK films like `Four Weddings` have this, there is a message about the importance love, trust and companionship being put across to the audience. Oh and so many actor/actresses in it that you know by face but can`t quite place by name. You can almost hear Paxman in the back of your brain going C`mon!, C`mon!!, C`mon!!!. Jeez you don`t know his/her name!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film!, 6 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Wedding Date [DVD] (DVD)
If you like a rom com then this is the film for you! I thought Debra Messing as Kat was great, and not too similar to her character in Will & Grace. Dermot Mulroney was gorgeous as the hired escort and Sarah Parrish excellent as the mad cousin! I watched this film twice I enjoyed it so much, and the second time was better once you know the twist in the story as you pick up on the subtle signs in some scenes.

The Wedding Date [DVD]
The Wedding Date [DVD] by C. Gerod Harris (DVD - 2005)
3.99