5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia fest, 31 Dec 2013
David Burstow (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joan (Audio CD)
Bought this as I had the vinyl LP in the early 70's and remembered how good it was. JB at her most varied and lyrical.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remastered 1967 album, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Joan (Audio CD)
A selection of covers from writers like Paul Simon,Tim Harden,Lennon & McCartney,Donovan as well as Arr.Trad is business as usual.
The intro for her answer version to If I Were A Carpenter is uncannily like that to Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights which obviously means Joan Baez was part of the Bush listening

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb CD. Joan Baez at her best., 3 Mar 2009
This review is from: Joan (Audio CD)
I admit to being a huge fan of Joan's for more years than I care to count. This is the third copy of "Joan" which I have owned, the first being vinyl. In my opinion, it is musically the finest she ever produced. Her voice is at its heart breaking clearest and most beautiful throughout her range. Several of the songs are my all-time favourites of hers, particularly "If you were a Carpenter", "The Lady came from Baltimore" and "Annabelle Lee". The VietNam war songs have dated (only a little), but it remains a superb album to this day. If you are a fan of Bob Dylan as well as Joan, you must see the DVD "Don't Look Back", a documentary of Dylan's tour of the UK when he and Joan were a couple. Fascinating to see the two of them outside their stage personae.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan can do no wrong, 21 Jan 2009
This review is from: Joan (Audio CD)
This album marked a new direction for Joan. Instead of the acoustic sound that her fans grew used to, she is backed by a full orchestra here (all apart from on the song "The Greenwood Side", a Child ballad also known as "The Cruel Mother", where it's just Joan and a guitar).
I love this CD.I had some friends over and this was playing, and a silence came over the room."Who IS that?" one of them asked. "It's Joan Baez," I replied. "She's got the most beautiful voice EVER..Hypnotic.." he said in a dreamy trance. But that's the effect Joan tends to have on people.
Her voice is not drowned out by the orchestra, in fact, it is enhanced by it. Some of her greatest songs are here- "The Lady Came from Baltimore" (a Johnny Cash song) and the much-covered "If I Were A Carpenter". There are also two bonus tracks, which are two of my favourites on the CD "Autumn Leaves" (which is sung in French) and Pete Seeger's whimsical "Oh, Had I Golden Thread".
Two of the most mysterious and haunting songs on the CD are "North" and "Saigon Bride", which were poems sent to Joan by a mysterious female poet, Nina Duscheck. Joan wrote the music to them, and the result is beautiful words, set to beautiful music..sung in THAT voice.
Original liner notes included, as well as photos and a commentry by Arthur Levy, the highly respected musical historian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez, 28 Oct 2012
Couldn't believe my luck when I found this Joan Baez CD with two tracks
I remembered from years back, but have never been able to
purchase before. 'Dangling Conversations' is so cleverly worded and
with her sublime singing is defintiely one I'd take on my desert island!
I also love North, poignant and plain beautiful.
This album does not date, it's as good to hear her now as it was then.

5.0 out of 5 stars joan by joan baez, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Joan (Audio CD)
I got this for my mum's birthday she totally loved it. She had seen joan back in the 80's and enjoyed listening to all her early songs on this album. Although not a big fan myself, I think this album is superb.

Joan
Joan by Joan Baez (Audio CD - 2005)