4.0 out of 5 stars Took a couple of listens...
Published on 22 Feb. 2005 by fauldzy

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult very not
It's certainly competently mixed, but the vast majority of tracks are of the form 'ArtistA's something (instrumental version) & ArtistB's something else (acappella version)' which means they've taken some music without vocals and - gasp! - added some vocals without music to it. That isn't exactly difficult to do.

The results are a bit 'meh' too, with CD2 being...
Published 12 months ago by Ian

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a couple of listens..., 22 Feb. 2005
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
I never imagined back in the hay day of garage music.. when trance / dance was fading, that I would ever hear the fusion of these two genres... on the same CD let alone TOGETHER! I am a massive fan of music in general so it was never Dance Vs Garage for me. To hear this fusion is quite unique to me as I have never heard it done before. To be honest this CD has not got a lot of garage in it, but after a couple of listens I began to realise what they had done on quite a few of the tracks on CD1, so thought ild mention it in this review...
I did think that some of the mash ups were a touch on cheese.. but then again, I kinda like that anyway. (Personally im not too sure if: Earth, Wind & Fire - lets groove -together with- Deepest Blue - give it away - worked all to well.) I think CD2 maybe slightly more prefered to the more up to date dance beat inclined. All in all I did enjoy this CD but it takes a hell of a lot to get a full 5 stars! Bearing in mind this is a Ministry release, I really do not think they have done too badly on this one. For me Ministry tends to get a bit mundane at times. What helped this CD along for me was the fact Ministry introduced some talented heads to put the CD together and also introduced something a little bit different, to shed a whole new light on making a Ministry branded CD.
Top Mash ups for me:
CD1 - tracks - 11 to 13 (what a fusion!)
CD2 - tracks - 10 to 11 (made me very HYPER!)
To conclude: It did take me a few listens, & at first I was thinking about getting a refund! Once you get into it however, it is quite hard to put down! It is interesting to hear a new light shed on the likes of club classics such as: Storm - time to burn with the likes of Tomcraft - loneliness. Lets just say.. im listening to CD2 right now.. Alter Ego has just come on and feeling quite HYPER!
My last words to you .. Give it a try .. you will either love it, or hate it!
Fauldzy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 2 Aug. 2005
E. King "eking101" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
I was eagerly waiting for this CD and I love it. Listen to it all the time. I was slightly disappointed that they used 'deepest blue' so many time but it is a good tune and well used. Who'd have thought my neck, my back could mix so well with the Prodigy?!
I would recommend this CD to anyone who loves funky, fresh dance tunes. Brilliant for listening to whilst getting ready for a night out on the town!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For MASH get SMASHED, 27 Feb. 2005
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
Is this a new start from MoS i wonder...? It's been a fair while since i last bought an MoS release as i grew tired of the cheesy pop many mix CDs had turned in to, but this has blown me away! I love a good bootleg and this double CD did NOT disappoint me at all. Perfect for a party, it blends various styles of music into just over two hours of pure heaven. The choice of 70s music right up to the present day fused with fantastic acappellas hits all the right spots and i can't stop listening to it! It starts off with some funky tunes on CD1 which progress into house at its best. CD2 goes through the Ibiza anthems of the last few years and finishes with some truly pumping tracks. It builds and builds from beginning to end - the Cut Up Boys are the ones to watch it seems!
I'd advise anyone to buy this, especially those of you who have been looking for a mix CD with a difference - a perfect fusion of dance heaven from years gone by mixed with lyrics you'll hear and go 'Oh, remember when we first heard this and...' - they go together so well too.
MoS, all is forgiven! A sequel please!!! And i think i'm not alone in this request judging by the gaps on the shelves in the shops where this release should be - it's literally flying out of the stores. Don't delay, get yours now from Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a couple of listens..., 22 Feb. 2005
Top Mash ups for me:
CD1 - tracks - 11 to 13 (what a fusion!)
CD2 - tracks - 10 to 11 (made me very HYPER!)
My last words to you .. Give it a try .. you will either love it, or hate it!
Fauldzy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoloutly Amazing, 20 May 2007
C. A. ROGERS "Jamesy Boy" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
When I First listened to this cd, i wasn't too sure about the material on it. I pickeed it up about a week later and realized what id been missing. Not only does it include some of the greatest house tunes of all time, but mixes them up too make an incredible funky bass line. In my opinion, amazing...

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult very not, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)

The results are a bit 'meh' too, with CD2 being noticeably better than CD1 because of using the music and vocals from the same original track on two different tracks of this. More than once.

As I paid 33p for it, I'm happy enough to have got a half listenable disc, but there are a lot better mash ups out there. There's nothing approaching the genius of American Edit by "Dean Grey" here, for example.

3.0 out of 5 stars Totally Mashed, 23 Feb. 2005
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
This album had loads of promise. I love mashups and have heard some great examples of this style, and produced some myself. Unfortunately this album was a disappointment. The mashup's are flat, the mixing is at best adequate and there's just a lack of energy. I didn't find myself tapping my fingers at all. It just didn't grab me, which is a disappointment. There are some great idividual tracks on here but they just didn't work as mashups. Perhaps it will grow on me after a few more listens, if I can concentrate long enough to hear the music! Sorry MoS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 7 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
This album is excellent. Tracks are mixed smoothly and flow from one to the other very easily. There is something new to be heard with every listening. This is the sort of music that puts a big smile on your face and sends your body into spasmodic fits: you cannot help but dance. It should be very good for the gym too. So many tracks for so little money. I can't think of a single fault (except,perhaps, don't you hate cardboard sleeves covering plastic cd cases, what's all that about? save trees!).

5.0 out of 5 stars pure magic, 22 Feb. 2005
B. Fell "thefell" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
finally an album from ministry that pushes the boundaries of mixing and studio talent to the limits. i get sick of constant 'mixed by' albums that sound like they've been mixed in 5mins without any thought about the music whatsoever. this little gem is vastly different, the cut up boys are magic, no question. their skill appears flawless and the choice of tracks/acapellas is great. this is a great album and vastly different from the other toss out there, you won't be dissapointed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite cd ever, 7 May 2012
This review is from: The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys (Audio CD)
i love this cd, its got all my favourite tunes on it and its genius. I recommend it to anyone who loves all the old classics.

The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys
The Mash Up Mix: Mixed By the Cut Up Boys by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2005)