on 5 July 2009
This hour long perspective is excellent in many ways but there are two or three flaws - one of which would be easy to fix! The narrator's voice is not a voice you want to listen to for an hour, he sounds not bothered at times. Also some of Martin's best known speeches are read by the narrator rather than delivered by Martin with the passion and fervour he had - this is presumably because of copyright laws. So to hear excerpts of the 'I have a dream' speech delivered in an understated drawl is a bit of a shame!
On the whole this is excellent though - Martin's life held up a mirror to the unpleasantness of the prejudice that is in most people and his struggles were heroic and extraordinary.
on 20 July 2009
This is a sympathetically interpretive account of the role Dr King played in the struggle for civil rights for blacks in America in the late 1950s and 1960s. It takes a chronological rather than a thematic approach , selecting interesting footage from the considerable television archive to elucidate this complex period of American social history, and bears witness to the power of television as an instrument of change. Without television it is doubtful whether this struggle would have achieved the necessary legislative victories in the time-frame in which they occurred. Television is what brought the struggle to the masses both domestically and internationally, and to the considerable embarrassment of those in places of high office. It was thus a democratising force of the kind the Internet was later to become, empowering people `from the bottom up' by bringing their message of struggle into people's living rooms both graphically and authentically, as the horrific scenes of state repression were played out for all to see.

Too little time is spent on the seminal `I Have A Dream' speech, delivered in Washington by Dr King in 1963 to such national and international acclaim. Overall, though, this DVD is a well crafted, historically accurate account of the events as they unfold, and one that is well worth revisiting at a time when this struggle has, once again, taken a big step forward with the election of Barack Obama as President.
on 25 June 2007
I use this particular film within my RE classes, or when I teach Year 8 history classes on the history of black peoples in the UK. I myself am from the States, and the story of MLK and his fight for true freedom for oppressed minorities is something I grew up learning from the age of 4. Yet, here in the UK, we do not really know the intricate details of how the American story of racism developed, prospered, flourished, and became a way of life, as it was our Wilberforce from Hull who ended this sort of outward treatment in the mainland some 150+ years ago.

This video helps to put into perspective just what injustices black men, women, and children had to put up with and in all fairness, intelligently pick apart piece by piece to gain the freedoms that they enjoy today, but had been guaranteed for generations. It also helps us in the UK to understand our own social problems in light of the Brixton Riots and Bradford Riots, giving us a spirit of empathy with oppression as well as overt and covert forces working to keep genuine and decent people from what our society sees as "right".
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2013
Zoverstocks are brilliant I buy all my DVDs from them best prices and quick delivery. I have over the past 12 months purchased at least 50 DVDs from them all second hand and all in brilliant condition.
The MLK DVD is a must watch for anybody interested in modern history with a very brief overlook at all his amazing works. I maybe would of preferred a little bit more detail but educational all the same.
on 18 April 2012
Anything about Dr. Martin Luther King has to be good in my opinion, and I did enjoy the CD. Needless to say any account about such a man has to be selective. Personally, I would have relished a greater amount of content about his theology, but I suppose such content is best found in his writings. I found no problem with the used CD or with the packaging or delivery.
on 26 December 2009
Good material recommended for those who seek a knowledge of past events to affect their future occurence
on 2 November 2014
Borrowed this to help with our history course civil rights topic. It is superb. All original footage, no repetition of images, information pitched at the right level.
on 22 February 2013
A man who realised the worth of peacefull protest and debate. This film conveys a message still relevant today - essential viewing!
on 22 July 2013
i love it, that's what i expect,i will recommend my friends.to get one to watch,because i got this for my self,and am keeping it.
on 23 September 2013
Excellent DVD, and I would recommend this to every one who has an interest in history.
Very through provoking scenes