5.0 out of 5 stars See this band in a small venue before they blow up, 10 April 2005
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
Here are 4 kids from Brooklyn wearing probably all of the best UK movements on their sleeve; shoegaze, dreampop, house of love, lloyd cole (on ophelia)...I am happy the US can pay the UK back with Ambulance LTD. There is a sea of blatent xerox copy bands surfacing up at the moment. What is refreshing and nice to know is, copying a band like Ambulance takes skill most of these other acts don't have - in other words, the band is precious, and a real treasure. I live in Florida - shop on UK sites all the time, wondering when Ambulance would make their debut overseas...Seriously, don't overlook this recording - it's probably the best thing you'll hear all year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., 3 Mar 2005
Lei-Lei Jayenne (Leytonstone, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
Ambulance Ltd are a NYC band with a difference. If you listen carefully, the sound of desperate fashionista post-punkers is conspicuously absent. This is an album of gorgeous, tender, somtimes funny moments. There is quite a Beatles/Kinks feel to it, but it never travels down the trad-rock retro route. But they aren't overtly like ANY other bands really, to me there's elements of Big Star, My Bloody Valentine, Amusement Parks on Fire, The Lemonheads and early Ride (they are obvious Buffalo Springfield fans too). They wrap all their influences up in songs of humour, sadness, and shimmering melodies. The vocals are consistently good quality throughout, and they are great musicians too. Not afraid of the magic touch of feed-back, which is always great to hear in my book.
I stumbled across this album quite unexpectedly, and it's always a joy when such an encounter surprises in a positive way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sumptuous, 2 Feb 2006
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
Ambulance Ltd's debut self-titled album came as something of a shock to me. A friend had sent me the 2nd song, "Primitive (The Way I Treat You)", and after a day or two of playing it countless times I took a plunge and spent 10 of my hard-earned pounds in HMV. I don't think I've made this good a decision since I told my ex to keep her green dinosaur lamp.
Honestly, this album is a real peach, and entirely surprising for me as I generally don't like US soft-rock bands.
I disagree with someone reviewing below when they said this album is instantly appealing - I found it a good 2 or 3 listens before I truly came to comprehend what an amazing album I had just purchased on a whim.
If I had to describe it in 3 words, it'd be "cool" "breezy" and "catchy". You'll find yourself humming to tunes long after they've finished. I've lent this album to 3 friends since then 2 of them have bought it themselves, and the other one downloaded it.
I'd say the only disappointing song on the album would be "Michigan", would even that would be nitpicking - I never find myself reaching for the skip button.
Fed up of the current crop of Indie albums? Plump for this and bask in the refreshingly new genre Ambulance Ltd seem to have all to themself: Cool Rock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 24 April 2006
Simon Pittman "klezzie" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
I'm not one for the relaxing sort of music. I listen to a lot of American bands, non particularly heavy, but nothing like Ambulance LTD, so I surprised myself to find I actually liked their music.

You'll quickly find yourself tapping to the beats of the tunes and closing your eyes to get away from things. If you've had a stressful day just stick some Ambulance on and calm right down. For someone who listens to the likes of Sevendust and Pitchshifter, its clearly for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
In temrs of the influx of cool US bands like the Kings of Leon, Killers, Interpol etc whilst making great stuff, they come nowhere near the heady heights of this bunch. Ultra cool, sounding one minute like My bloody valentine to Lou Reed- yes the inspirations are wide, but this album stands out as one of the best of the year and just leaves so many others wanting. Really hope they go onto bigger and better things- they truly deserve it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Music doesn't get to be this icey often., 8 April 2005
JA White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
I bought this album after reading the Q review in the April 2005 issue where it had a 150-word snip of a review and got 3 stars, it just sounded like what I was looking for at the time. WHAT a pleasant surprise I had and subsequently I've given it the full five from myself. Its just so refreshing and down-right cool.
Its an album that that can be played just about anywhere. It's superb to drive to, it makes traffic a pleasure (yeh... weird eh!). Guys, this will impress the girls big time, and girls, your going to be so impressed by this stuff....& I'm 100% certain I'll be playing this when have my next BBQ.
Hearing is believing so give it a try & I'm prepared to stake my entire musical reputation on this album..... If you knew me you'd know just how profound a statement that is. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 19 July 2005
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
After buying the promos that were circulating for this great band they finally released this album. What I find very difficult to believe is that nobody has seemed to notice the sililarity to the beatles white album. There are blatant rip off riffs, but that is what turned me onto them. Dont get me wrong they are nothing like the beatles, just a clever usage of some riffs. Buy it just to play guess the Beatle song!

4.0 out of 5 stars smooth, sweet and seductive, 22 May 2005
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
Ambulance ltd's album is one of the most instantly appealing, easy listening albums I have come across in a while. As easy to listen to as Zero Seven, as interesting as Aqualung and as addictive as Royksopp; this album has it all.
It's the kind of music you'd expect to hear in a chic London coffee house, almost too cool - yet instantly appealing.
The album offers quite a variety of different tempos and moods, keeping you constantly interested. The one thing that every track has in common is that it is sweet, smooth and seductive. Buy it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ambulance Ltd
Ambulance Ltd by Ambulance Ltd. (Audio CD - 2005)