5.0 out of 5 stars classic!
Oh man, this is quite a marathon, I purchased this when it first came out back in 2005 and it has taken me a quite while to sit down to view them all.

Sure the film quality isnt clean and crisp but who really cares, does that matter? Take into consideration the films at your local box office, a fair few are rubbish right? well, you dont sit there and say "sure,...
Published on 19 Feb. 2007 by Howie M

3.0 out of 5 stars HEAVILY EDITED !! Don't erase your old tapes !!
This would have been the DVD-release of the decade to me...
until I compared some of the episodes to my old tapes.
I haven't checked the old Channel 4 films yet, but a lot of the later episodes
have been heavily edited and messed around with. Many longer scenes are shortened,
but worse: some of the funniest dialogue is missing!!
I could only check...
Published on 12 Aug. 2005 by windowlicker2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this box set ever disappoint., 20 July 2005
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
I am not sure what i can say that has not already been said in previous reviews however i feel that the gang deserve as many five stars as possible.
It was July 16th when i was expecting a copy of the new harry potter for the missus and hopefully the comic strip for me. I heard a knock at the door and as i ran to see who it was i saw the postman handing the missus two packages. Was i pleased that on the day i would be ignored, as her head only occasionally looked up from her book all day, that i could ignore and interrupt (with my loud belly laughs) her.
I sat down at approximatrly 8am and began to watch.
Unluckily i am not old enough to remember when they were on originally, only being twenty now, but i have seen plenty of repeats which made my mind up for me that this was a must have, and boy are they good.
Having watched all of the contents of the discs, that was a tiring 26 hours, i cannot fault the overall quality of this box set. I personally like even the lesser regarded episodes as they generally still have at least one moment in which you will wet yourself laughing at.
I think that the highlights of this package have been stated numerous times but i think i still have to make special mention to Mr Jolly and Fistful of Travellers Cheques, as i even know if the walls of my house came crashing down and my life was ripped apart thanks to the comic strip gangs genious i know at the end of the day i will still be able to laugh.
"Im a Matador"
Happy Viewing

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 18 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
I purchased the set because Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders were in it. If you are a French & Saunders fan you'll be treated to another side of their talent.
The DVDs happily introduced me to a world of genius. Writers, Peter Richardson & Pete Richens, created a style of comedy never seen in America. Along with their ensemble cast who were clever, fearless and multi-talented. It is no wonder most went on to do great things.
These 39 movies are an incredible value that can't be beat. They have provided me with months of happiness. I wished they'd make more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who edited these?, 4 April 2007
Jane Aland (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
OK - why am I giving what should be a 5-star product a one-star review? I've just gone to re-watch and old favoute 'South Atlantic Raiders' and it's had whole scenes edited out from the original TV broadcast - what the hells going on here?

5.0 out of 5 stars first time watcher..., 10 Sept. 2005
A. Cupps "- I aim to misbehave" (in the land of make believe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
...so a few weeks back I was looking around on amazon.co.uk to see about buying another series that I really enjoyed - Spaced - on DVD when I stumbled across this. I have been a long time fan of the Young Ones, French & Saunders & Ab Fab. So, I figured what the hey, go ahead and order it and I am sure I will enjoy it but i was wrong. I LOVE IT!!! I am only on the 3rd episoide of the 2nd DVD and it is wonderfuL! I have already bragged about it to my friends.
So far, my absoltuly favorite is Summer School, I actually fell out of my chair with that one... can't wait to see the rest! Just getting ready to order the Bad News CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to daniel peacock?, 14 July 2005
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
What an amazing collection for me, well done amazon with the discount. I couldn't cope with the decision on what to watch first. All tastes are catered for with this, maybe an audio commentary for one of the episodes would've been good but my tv schedule's worked out for the next month or so. Its like watching new episodes as i remember watching "beat generation" aged 11 not understanding it but i did afterwards and the bbc stuff i missed due to teenage distractions but wheres "eat the rich"? Was there a legal problem or they couldnt get the rights, i hope that will follow on from this. So many favourites here, Mr Jolly, fistful of travellers cheque, didnt you kill my brother, the yob, dirty movie and many more. The contrast between different episodes showed what intelligent minds came up with these masterpieces of british comedy on a par with the goodies, monty python and spike milligan. Maybe Q to follow, lets hope so. Great casting, danny peacock is a god. Do buy it, its worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars at long last !!!!!!!!! what a box set .. wonderful .., 20 July 2005
S. B. Singleton (sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
this has to be a must have item for fans of great british comedy . everyepisode of the legendary comic strip presents series made for chanel4 . high lights include . the yob . keith allen as the video director patrick church who gradually morphs into the yob !! the strike , al pachino plays scargill in a hollywood version of events !!!! the five go mad episodes ... les dogs featuring kate bush ... bad news one and two . the story of a rock band that pre dates the classic film spinal tap ... and is just a funny ... glc robbie coltraine burt reynolds as ken livingstone ...all the greats of the ra are here ... french n saunders . peter richardson . kieth allen . rik mayall . lenny henry . aid edmundson ... plus some great extras . julian temples documentary .. 2 chanel 4 special s on the comic strip .. and a 2005 documentary .. wondeful .... at long last ..

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYBODY HAPPY, OH LA LA LA LA LA LAAAA !, 12 July 2005
J. Munro "jock_munro" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
AT LAST !! Better late than never eh ? The entire comic strip collection safe and sound on DVD. These underestimated gems completely blow away any other British TV comedy series. This box sex is an essential purchase, and I would of paid ten times the asking price to own this collection.
The DVD Box Set is good value, its worth the price purely for Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, probably the best comic strip film there is.
As already mentioned in a previous review, the last few comic strips did seem to falter (apart from Four Men In A Car / Plane). However the early Channel 4 episodes are classics. Each one a different story, each one shot in a different style, each one a mini film, each one just as entertaining and engrossing as the last.
The Comic Strip gang truly were revolutionary and innovative. They entertained a generation. They are still entertaining to watch today. This is a must buy. Where is Peter Richardsons O.B.E !?

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh... my... god!, 13 Jun. 2005
J. Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Oh my god, it's finally arrived! I know that I'm not the only one grinning from ear to ear now that all 39 editions of The Comic Strip Presents (and a feature length movie) are available in one utterly essential package. On the opening night of Channel 4, on November 2nd 1982, Peter Richardson and his playmates turned this reviewer into a lifelong fan of perhaps the most consistently inventive and groundbreaking satire that TVUK could boast of BCM (Before Chris Morris). 999 minutes; a thousand cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comedy must have release, 18 July 2005
A great release, with 9 discs, very good value for money, and the
extras are very nice. The packaging is delicate but very wel done, the discs look nice and the layout of the box is great.
To bad they did nothing to remaster/digital restore or somehow improve the picture quality, and the box could have done with a booklet.
Overall a highly recommended release, British comedy of the highest standerd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very patchy, 25 Dec. 2007
Red Rob "Red Rob" (Blackpool, Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
I've never owned any of the Comic Strip on VHS so I've no idea about the stuff that has been edited out.

I also never managed to catch at least half of the episodes when they were shown on telly, which is the main reason I bought this.

Anyway, apart from the 'Five Go Mad' episodes, 'Summer School', 'Beat Generation', the 'Bad News' episodes and the peerless 'Strike', I really wasn't impressed with most of the collection.

Some of the episodes were just rubbish (I won't bother naming them) and self-indulgent rubbish at that.

Oh, and despite what another reviewer said, I don't think either of the 'Bad News' episodes are a patch on 'Spinal Tap'.

I know I will NEVER watch most of the other episodes again, but I'll be keeping the collection as the good stuff really is good.

Anyway, sorry if I've upset anyone with this review but I'm just being honest. I really wanted to love every episode, but I don't.

The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982]
The Comic Strip Presents - Complete [DVD] [1982] by Peter Richardson (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: £29.75