on 3 July 2005
Anyone over 40 years old will probably not need reminding of the brilliant Comic Strip series. Those of you too young to have seen the originals will do a lot worse than beg, steal or borrow this dvd set,or alternatively just buy it, cheap at half the price.
These gems (well most of them!) were history in the making. Or were they just unsurpassed by anything since? Hey, don't take my word for it,decide for yourself! Peter Cook even appears, worth the cost on its own.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Anyone who remembers the Comic Strip from the 80's will know how good most of these films are and it's great to see them again.
Most of them stand the test of time and are as good as they ever were. Obviously, with 38 episodes and one feature film in the set, they are going to be hit and miss, but when the Comic Strip hit, they are fantastic and have created some classics.
I have the same gripe as other reviewers, in that the excellent film "Eat The Rich" is not included. There is no explantion why. Copyright problems? Different distributor?
It all seems odd as the Comic Strip were on C4 and BBC and also there is the feature film "Supergrass", so if they can get all those into one set, why not ETR?
Grumbles aside, the stuff that's on here will delight any fan of the series. Also, there are some great extras, well worth getting!
on 13 July 2005
All 39 episodes plus two hours' worth of documentaries for only £35? If there has ever been a better value DVD package available, anywhere, I've not seen it. Admittedly, the quality is extremely variable and some episodes haven't aged well at all. Dirty Movie was hilarious when I was 14. At 36? Well, it's still for 14 year olds. Some were never funny in the first place (Susie, Consuela). And some of the later ones really weren't worthy of the label 'Comic Strip' (Jealousy, Queen of the Wild Frontier). But these are small quibbles. To see classics like Gino, Bad News Tour, Beat Generation, A Fistful of Travellers Cheques, The lyers (and the equally brilliant quasi-sequel, Detectives on the edge...), The Crying Game & Gregory: Diary of a Nutcase, in all their hilarious glory, and on DVD at last, is worth every penny. There are enough classic lines here to last you a lifetime: Vim's observation that he could play 'Stairway to Heaven' when he was 12; Rik in 'Fistful' declaring that he'll set fire to a bed factory if he wants, 'Shouting George' letting everyone know he's a '10 guvs a day copper'. I could go on. And probably will... in the pub tonight.
on 27 February 2009
From the glory days of channel 4's birth and so called alternative comedy this has to be one of the greatest comedy series of all time. Featuring all the great comedians of the 80s and 90s, the series starts with the brilliant `Five Go Mad in Dorset' ends with the fantastic `Four Men in a Plane' and includes both the Channel 4 and BBC2 productions. There's and extra disk with documentaries and one I haven't seen before called `The Comic Strip' from 1981 and directed by Julien Temple. My favourite has to be `Mr Jolly Lives Next Door' - it's got Peter Cook in it for crying out loud! You see something new every time you watch the episodes and it's a real revelation. `Eddie Monsoon - A Life?' has Adrian Edmondson at his anarchic best (his wife, Jennifer Saunders going on to create the female version, Edina Monsoon, for `Absolutely Fabulous in the 1990s). There's also `Bad News', a parody of life in a rock band which was made prior to the excellent `Spinal Tap'.

As someone has said there does seem to have been some editing going on with a few short scenes edited, but this does not take anything away from the overall flavour of the Comic Strip Presents series.

Giving rise to many a line-quote in the pub, it has been an inspiration to a generation, and is something which is unlikely to be emulated on TV again. Would Channel 4 dare to commission something as innovative as this these days? I don't think so.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I brought this collection when i was home in the UK in january.
Ive been a big fan of adrian edmondson,,rick mayal,, jennifer saunders, nigel planner and dawn french from the days of the youngones and girls on top.
I had been wanting to buy this collection for sometime but just could not justify it at the time as there was so much other stuff i wanted before for example Bottom,, young ones, the new statesman black adder to mention a few.
I grew up with these comic genius when i left school in 1981 and the youngones was ground breaking stuff.
I never got to see the entire collection of the comic strip presents but im glad to say now i can.
Being a big fan of the vicar of dibley i also was glad to see the genius of dawn french.

Peter richardson is a creative genius as you will see if you buy yourself this classic collection spanning from the early 80s to the year 2000.

I recomend this to all fans of bottom and the youngones.
My favorite episodes have to be five go mad in dorset fist full of travlers checks and the bad news tour .
Also have to mention now ive seen the entire collection i have to add that 4 men in a car and 4 men in a plane also are top notch.
Although there were a couple i just abandoned as i just could not get into them.
Great stuff for all you expats out there.
Go on treat yourself and travel back to the 80s-90s.
on 18 June 2005
Nicholas Parsons! Nicholas bloody Parsons! (Those who've seen Mr Jolly - one of the highlights on this package - will know what I mean!)
This boxset is one of the reasons I bought a DVD player (ages ago) - just in case they ever decided to do this - and now they have. There are so many highlights on here I do not know where to start to be honest! A few of my friends and I constantly quote from these to this day, not too many people know about them....
Put it like this - if you've ever enjoyed Black Adder, Young Ones, Red Dwarf, Bottom etc just buy this...and if you haven't give it a go. My favourites on here would have to be Mr Jolly / Dirty Movie / Bad News 1&2 / Fistful of Travellers Cheques / Gino / Five Go Mad 1&2 / Bull******** and Detectives / Gregory - Diary of a Nutcase / Eddie Monsoon. I have them all on VHS tapes which (till now) I've been too scared to play too much in case they go wrong!
There are some duffers....although I would need to see them again to make sure but there's so much comedy gold here its untrue. The extras are the icing on the cake. Now all we need is a DVD of the Dangerous Brothers!
on 13 January 2007
Twenty-six hours and ten minutes: it looks a mammoth body of work. Yet Comic Strip was never really an entity like Monty Python; it was part repertory company, part vehicle for pet projects. Hence the huge variety of subject, tone and quality in this boxed collection.

At this distance in time, a lot of it is not funny - too reliant on shock value - and some is downright terrible. The early stuff is so heavily influenced by the 60s avant garde it is trying to satirise that it gets squashed. The best ones are mostly the straight spoofs - Bad News, GLC, Detectives on the Verge - and then there is the timeless masterpiece which is Mr Jolly. Worth any eight series of Little Britain on its own.

Aside from the ingenious packaging this is a slightly slapdash reissue and the prints are in dire need of restoration. But if you grew up with this stuff you won't regret giving it another look.
on 12 July 2005
WHO DARES GINS - buy it watch it and enjoy. MR Jolly has an almost cult following (as you can probably see from some of these reviews). We even got Who Dares Gins T-shirts made years ago. It might sound sad but watch and you will see. And all 39 episodes - what a bargain. I'll have another.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been waiting so long for this collection and it is so much better tyhan I could have wanted. Every single episode, plus "The Supergrass" movie, of one of the most under-rated comedy shows of out time.
For those of us old enough to remember, the first series is pure gold. French & Saunders when they were funny, Rik and Ade at their best and Peter Richardson churning out vastly eclectic ideas each on as fresh as a daisy.
Admittedly the series gradually wanes, particularly when they jump ship from CH4 to BBC, but there is still much to enjoy in some of these later episodes (Spaghetti Hoops, Les Dogs).
For anyone with the slightest interest in comedy (or short film making), alternative or not, I can't recommend this set enough, and £35 for over 26 hours has to be great value for money too. This could easily have been put out with a higher price tag, thanks CH4 for doing the decent thing.
My only criticism is lack of commentaries, particularly on the earlier episodes - they would be really interesting.
on 25 September 2005
I excitedly took this boxed set home, having hoped that these jewels in the crown of British comedy would be released on DVD for some years. I went straight to my favourites Mr Jolly Lives Next Door and a Fist Full of Travellers Cheques, then went back to my box to find the disc with Eat the Rich on it. I read through the 39 titles, then scanned the box again and again to no avail. It does say "complete collection" on the box, but sadly without the inclusion of the brilliant and star studded Eat the Rich and one or two other titles(so I'm told) Still, glad I bought it!