4.0 out of 5 stars A great little musical biopic !
This is a very pleasant couple of hours entertainment, loosely depicting the life and times of jazz musician Red Nicols. The movie is typical of its time and type and there is simply nothing to complain about at all - however minor. Okay! like other biopics the story line is a little bit questionable (even Red himself might have said "did I do this?" , "Did I do that?" )...
Published on 5 Jun 2009 by DoDo Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Danny Kaye at his best; Louis Armstrong proving that he was the greatest!
'the Five Pennies' Musically this film was great but too smaltzy and 'Hollywood'. However, I shall watch it again if only for the music. Louis Armstrong was fantastic playing the trumpet
Published on 21 Nov 2012 by Irene Babinet

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars memories from childhood, 25 Jun 2012
pegleg (Derbyshire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
After watching an advert on TV I remembered I much I used to love Danny Kaye when I was a child, so I ordered 3 of his films that I rembered best and I was transformed back to a child I really enjoyed all the films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Kaye, 7 May 2012
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
I had never seen this film when I was growing up. I wasn't disappointed another fantastic performance from Danny Kaye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful movie, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
An overlooked classic, worth watching for the Louis Armstrong performances alone. Danny Kaye is wonderful as always...and the music of Red Nichols is great throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Kaye, 14 Mar 2012
V. Conran (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
I first watched this film many years ago and have never forgotten it. I have not seen this version yet, it is a 'must have' item and I am sure it will be briiliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
I was delighted to find this on DVD at last as my old VHS copy hs long worn out. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Film, 19 May 2011
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
A wonderful piece of nostalgia for all the family. I recall first seeing this film as a child and thought it was great back then, now watching it with the kids it still hasn't lost its magic. Highly recommended family film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic favorite that hasn't lost its luster, 9 May 2011
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
Five Pennies was broadcast on TV many times during my childhood in the 60's and 70's, but in DVD it is a real treat, viewed in its proper format, uncut. Watch it for the exuberant songs, especially those featuring Louis Armstrong, bask in the warm, genuine performances of Barbara Bel Geddes and Danny Kaye. This is one of his best films.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Five Pennies (DVD) starring Danny Kaye, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
My husband told me i would enjoy this film, so could i buy it from Amazon. This is a wonderful film, which i enjoyed very much. I was a bit sceptical because i am not a fan of Danny Kaye or like listening to Jazz or Blues music. It is a enjoyable film, with Danny Kaye playing an exceptional role. The music was brilliant. Would recommend it has an old fashioned film with a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic weepy, classy performance, 3 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
I love everything about this film. Had already seen it numerous times but a great movie plus Danny Kaye's performance and I had to own it. There's nothing like getting comfy on the couch and losing myself in this story. Cannot say enough good things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Those duets between Louis Armstrong and Red Nicholls ..., 9 Dec 2014
J. Dunning-Davies (Hull, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
Just as I remembered it from my undergraduate days. Wonderful! Those duets between Louis Armstrong and Red Nicholls are not to be missed as is the spectacular singing duet featuring Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye. Buy it; sit back and enjoy!

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959]
The Five Pennies [DVD] [1959] by Melville Shavelson (DVD - 2007)