Format: DVDChange

on 26 September 2009
I remember seeing this film at the cinema years ago and enjoyed it just a much while watching it at home. A real family film to be enjoyed by all. a little weepy in places but everything turns out right in the end.
on 4 May 2015
If you want a Danny Kaye film, with some pleasant music, it's OK. If you want a good musical biography in the tradition of the Glenn Miller Story, the Benny Goodman Story or the Gene Krupa Story, you'll be disappointed. I don't know enough about Red Nichols to say whether this is an accurate portrayal of his musical career, but it is noteworthy that the main featured tune, "Lullaby of Ragtime", was written by Sylvia Fine, Danny Kaye's wife, as indeed was the tune "The Five Pennies". Many of the scenes lack credibility and are obviously just excuses to allow Kaye to do his thing. There are better Danny Kaye films and much better musical biographies.
on 22 March 2013
Danny Kaye at his greatest, Louis Armstrong and all the greats give a film that I grew up with and gave me a wonderful memory of family members enjoying this and putting a smile on my face
on 16 August 2013
Danny Kaye, Louis Armstrong, some great music and a happy ending. Good, old-fashioned family entertainment based on the life of Red Nichols. Happy childhood memories revisited.
on 19 June 2009
A lovely sentimental film. Great music from Louis Armstrong. Even my husband enjoyed this. No sex! No swearing No violence. Just good old fashioned entertainment.
on 30 January 2014
I won't add to the other reviews. I like Danny Kaye in most things, he is very good in this film which doesn't necessarily rely on his comic abilities. The story of the jazz great is told with ample use of other jazz greats, including a truly energising duet of Oh When The Saints Come Marching In with the one and only Satchmo Armstrong.
I believe Kaye's wife Sylvia Fine adapted the song with extra lyrics, and its a stunning number performed by the great pairing with great brio. I can watch that number again and again!!
on 30 August 2012
I bought the cd that runs with the film a few weeks ago, enjoyed it so much that i also bought the film, two copies in fact, one for me one for my daughter who is a big musical fan..got to say it is a pleasure to own such a fab film and sound track, the music is something else with old satchel mouth at his very best, fantastic value and very quick delivery..if you like big band or jazz with a bit of hollywood glitz theown in for good measure, then i promise that this is for you..enjoy and all the best.
on 27 March 2014
I saw this film soon after release in the late 50's and like everyone does, I didn't give it much thought afterwards. In nostalgic mood one day I sought out this DVD and wow! back in time..... Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye playing Dixie. It was magic and I doubt whether these two such talented men have been filmed together playing like that anywhere. I've made sure my grandchildren get copies. The jazz in this lovely soppy film is top top quality......and all for less than £5.
on 30 October 2013
have always liked these old musicals brought back memories watching it when i was younger with my mother also danny kaye a favourite
on 25 April 2011
Totally delighted with the DVD, equally delighted with the price it was even free delivery in 4 days thank you

Trevor Turner