4.0 out of 5 stars Another American Cop-Type Drama........
But this is probably my favourite of the lot. Mainly due to the supreme, intense acting of Mr Vincent D'Onofrio, who tears up the screen with his portrayal of criminal psychologist type person Det. Bobby Goren. It's a joy to behold him ripping the villains minds to shreds every week, with his amazing intellect and some funny one-liners thrown in too.
He does have a...
Published on 10 Feb 2005 by Lei-Lei Jayenne

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it
I enjoyed the series I thought the acting was excellent and the writing was very good. Will now buy the next season.
Published 10 months ago by Stuart Braddick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another American Cop-Type Drama........, 10 Feb 2005
Lei-Lei Jayenne (Leytonstone, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Law & Order: Criminal Intent - Season 1 - The First Year [2001] [DVD] (DVD)
He does have a female partner who is very good too, played by Catherine Erbe, though she doesn't often get much of a chance to shine. The producers obviously realised what a coup they got with Vincent D'Onofrio signing on, and the focus is certainly on him.
This first series was very good, the story's weren't too 'same-y', and were consistently mind-boggling and sometimes disturbing, but you feel safe in the hands of Bobby Goren....

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 25 May 2006
H. Lacroix (France) - See all my reviews
D'Onofrio's acting skills are really captivating! Here is this detective, tall, big, clumsy-looking, with rings under his eyes and unshaven jowls- none of your usual good-looking type hero- and yet, his presence is more compelling than any baby-faced handsome actor. Forget Cruise, Di Caprio, Bloom or whoever it is that you prefer, I'd rather watch him act than any of the afore-mentioned. What is it with him? Subtlety, I think, and real acting talent! I bought the 6 DVD pack after having read a good TV review and I've spent the last two weeks watching nothing but this! I'm even saving the last two episodes because afterwards, that's it, over with! How pathetic is it?

Yes, he is annoying at times with his mr-know-it-all act and yes, we can't really believe that such a gifted cop could really exist!

I also wish that Erbe played a larger part in solving the cases, it's very much a the-guy-has-the-brains-the-woman-plods-along type of show!

However it is a very good series and I'm really waiting for the release of the 2nd season!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a whole 24 hours of entertainment...., 16 Oct 2005
By A Customer
I'm only two discs in, because I don't have the stamina to watch too many at once, but this is well worth it. Vincent D'Onofrio is brilliant and that Kathryn Erbe as his partner still manages to make an impression alongside "the Goran show" is a testament to her acting skills as well. Interrogation scenes are a guaranteed thrill and D'Onofrio's physical presence as well as his banter is captivating. Like an intimidating and mildly autistic Colombo crossed with Sherlock Holmes. Despite the not so mild supercop aspect to Goran, and the sometimes (okay, often) far-fetched plots, this is in many ways the most sophisticated of the Law and Orders. Less formulaic than the original (in terms of structure, not plot) and with better (less shock-value reliant) plots than Special Victims Unit. It's also less likely to leave you in a pit of despair over human nature. Though it can if it wants to. Courtney B. Vance is excellent as the D.A who is perhaps a little more slimy than usual for a "good guy" and Jamey Sheridan's Captain is often pleasantly bewildered as Goran reaches seemingly incomprehensible yet accurate conclusions on very little evidence. He and Eames run rings around their captain as well as the criminals.
The only thing I'd complain about is the title music. The rather beautiful remix of the 'Law and Order' music and the sepia shots of New York are replaced by something soulless I've never heard before and a poorly done slideshow imitation of the credits I saw when I caught it on TV. What is up with that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Law and Order Fan - Worcester U.K., 13 Jun 2007
A. C. H. Hall "Pafamba Gondo Harishayi" (Worcester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first came across the Law & Order series when living in South Africa in the eraly '90s. Having pleasantly rediscovered these captivating series while now living in England, I found it had branched out. I have just finished watching Criminal Intent, the First Year, and recommend this in the highest way possible. As with all the series, the acting is superb and the characters well worked out - but Vincent D'onofrio really brings a huge new presence to the screen. On this I echo the previous reviewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For All L&O Fans!, 30 May 2006
This is my absolute favourite Law & Order series. All the storylines are truly gripping, and I admire Robert Goren, and Vince D'Onofrio, who plays him.

I have several other Law & Order boxsets, but I've got through this one the fastest because it's so good. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Smart Crime Drama - An Outstanding Series, 1 Jan 2008
Beautiful Dog Spirit (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I watch a lot of US Crime dramas, and this is my No. 1 favourite.

It is pointless to compare all of the different strands of the Law and Order family because they are all so different. Each one has many merits.

L&O Criminal Intent is a good old fashioned detective show where you're actually kept guessing. Even if you know who did it, the fun is figuring out how they're going to get caught. It is never obvious or predictable. I enjoy this show because it has such a strong pair of main characters. Vincent D'Onofrio is simply superb in his portrayal of the highly intelligent Detective Goren, and this is perfectly balanced by Kathryn Erbe's understated yet strong female partner Detective Eames. These two characters are believable and engaging, and often, very entertaining. Eames frequently taking a back seat to Goren's unique investigative methods and detection processes, but always playing an important role. She provides the no-nonsense traditional cop to balance Goren's off-the-wall approach. Eames focussing a little more on the evidence based method of solving a crime, where as Goren's acute attention to detail, and insight in to human behaviour leads him toward the psychological motives behind the crime. The supporting cast is also excellent. Courtney B. Vance is brilliantly believable as smart and dapper ADA Carver.

The show isn't flashy or sensationalist, but engaging and thought provoking. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a genuinely great detective mysteries. The stories and characters are so multi-faceted that it is nearly impossible to anticipate the reasons why they are caught and the clever methods used to catch the criminals. This means you can watch the episodes over and over and rarely remember the way the story develops. The show definitely benefits from not being swamped down by tedious court room scenes as so many other crime shows are. The joy of this show is following the investigation, and trying to anticipate the way Goren and Eames are finally going to catch their man.

This edition also features a Bonus - "The Beginning" : A 20 minute programme containing interviews with creator Dick Wolf, producer Rene Balcer, and the actors Jamey Sheridan, Kathryn Erbe and Vincent D'Onofrio. This short bonus programme gives a really fascinating insight in to the making of the show, the concept, and the way the actors approach their roles. Hearing the actors talking about their characters is particularly interesting, and makes this box set a definite "must have" for real Criminal Intent fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 July 2005
Law and Order: criminal intent is my favourite of the law and order series (Now Benjamin Bratt left and Jerry Orbach sadly passed, Law and order the original series don't seem the same). I think Vincent D'Onofrio is absolutely inspired as Goren, he makes every episode interesting and involving and I wouldn't miss a single episode!

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have told you Vincent ....., 20 Nov 2009
I love the programme, I love the man. It's been a slow burner but now I cannot get enough of Vincent D'Onofrio. I can take or leave his partner Eames (a smile wouldn't go amiss). Season 1 is great - everyone is fresh and the show is new. I haven't seen most of these before so I am loving it. I am almost halfway through.
I don't know why they changed the title music - not as good, bit irritating. Twenty two episodes, more than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars a nice extra..., 18 Jun 2007
waldkind (Niedersachsen) - See all my reviews
I will not say much about this season, except that it's one of the best, it has humour and drama and I love to watch the episodes over and over... but the best part about this DVD-pack is that it has FRENCH as a language option, which isn't mentioned anywhere!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 4 Jun 2014
First season was a good intro the the world of law and order c.i.
just love the charachter he plays and some good twists in certain ones..
good delivery as well.
cant fault if u like law and order franchies..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›