5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, gorgeous coffee!
Published on 24 Jan 2007 by MOTC

1.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of form over function
Published on 20 July 2010 by Bejam

1.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of form over function, 20 July 2010
This review is from: KitchenAid Artisan 5KES100BER Espresso Maker Red (Kitchen & Home)
I'm on machine number 6 (actually, I think it might be 7 or 8, but I'm not completely sure) in less than 2 years. I've done nothing extraordinary, I make around 2 to 3 cups of espresso per day, I look after it fastidiously and I live in a soft water area. This machine is a great bit of kitchen furniture but is, without doubt, the most unreliable piece of kit I have ever owned - for me to have gone through so many machines convinces me that the design must be inherently flawed.

I have given it one star because of the brilliant warranty and aftercare - Kitchenaid send a new one out via courier and collect the broken one each time. But I just don't have the heart to continue - this must have cost them far more than me and I've finally lost confidence. They've offered me a refund and I've accepted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Building my red empire -- KitchenAid 'for the way it's badly made' ...I'm knocking it down, 5 April 2009
Miss Bell "@ngmunchkin©" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is what I felt after purchasing the machine until about two and half years down the line, I decided to give up and ask for a refund rather than order my fifth replacement.
At one time, I thought Gaggia were second to none...
I became a fan of KitchenAid after purchasing my Artisan burr grinder -- also in empire red -- which is what prompted me to purchase the matching Artisan espresso machine. KitchenAid build heavy weight, solid, robust, and durable appliances in die-cast metal. I love the retro look. This makes a very eye-catching centrepiece in my kitchen. A problem I have always had with espresso machines is the after-drip and excessive steam shooting everywhere after closing the pump, leaving my kitchen worktop soaked, and the atmosphere humid. This machine has a solenoid valve (a coil of wire which controls the flow of air or liquid; it converts electrical energy into mechanical energy which opens/closes the valve) which immediately reduces pressure when the pump is switched off; thus no drips or excess steam. The drip tray accommodates simultaneous milk frothing and brewing together. I like the fact the tray is directly under the nozzle too so when clearing the nozzle you can spurt steam directly into it; no mess. The steam nozzle pivots at all angles which is good if you have a larger frothing jug, which I do. I have found the Gaggia Evolution and previous espresso machine I owned prior to that to be terribly noisy with bubbling, gurgling, and clunking noises from the pump -- the Artisan Espresso maker is very very quiet.. Now for the real test -- the espresso crema... I pull a perfect one every time! I find if you press the hot water button, it expedites the frothing temperature level. If using the hot water feature, do not allow the steam boiler to heat more than a quarter over the black marker otherwise it will spurt everywhere; you need to allow some steam to spurt through the nozzle into the drip tray first, then the water will come out. It is truly a professional and industrial machine, yet compact enough for your home. I thoroughly recommend it, and with KitchenAid, the parts will always be readily accessible.
NB: unfortunately, despite my above initial rave review, I've now been through four of these machines under warranty, and am looking to purchase a different brand. It's not up to it. The secondary steam boiler has stopped building up pressure after about five to six months usage and the temperature dials go haywire. I've knocked my review rating down to two stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, gorgeous coffee!, 24 Jan 2007
MOTC (Otley, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had my cream Artisan Espresso machine for about a month now and I'm delighted with it. I had wanted to move on from stove top mocha express devises and had been researching pumped Espresso machines for a while, the KitchenAid took me with a first glance! This is a stunning piece of industrial design, infinitely better looking in the flesh than in pictures and if you fall for it's looks than nothing else will do!

So how dose it perform? Wonderfully well! The very first shot of Espresso pulled was just great including a near perfect creama, what more could you ask for? There is no point in me regurgitating the technical specifications of the machine but I'm sure that the twin boilers are a considerable asset because the brew water is never over heated while you have steam ready all the time and of course once you are adept you can brew and steam at the same time. I'm inclined to think that a commercial grade 58mm chrome plated brass portafilter is essential as this really dose hold its temperature and leads to greater consistency. The supplied tiny plastic tamper is really quite inadequate other than to get you started, I've now purchased a Reg Barber one which is an immense improvement allowing the ideal compacting of any grind of coffee into the portafilter, this is important as it's one of the greatest influences on the extraction of the coffee. The supplied milk jug is nice but a little on the small side, only suitable for single helpings of Cappuccino, no big deal really as a twin shot of Espresso makes one Cappuccino!

Negatives! Right, the largest hassle with the Artisan is the change from steam to hot water and this dose take a bit of time, your expecting water but end up with spitting steam, the manual dose remark on this but it's a pain, you need a largish jug to dump this into because it's quite messy, no, very messy! I was making Americano the other day and got this wrong, we are talking coffee everywhere here! This is something I have not as yet sorted out, again no big deal as a kettle is simpler anyway!

In conclusion this is a great Espresso machine and I am recommending it, there is also a matching coffee grinder that I will be purchasing soon, these will look beautiful together and I will post my experience with it soon.

If you are considering a pumped Espresso machine and you like the look of the KitchenAid, just go for it! It is the real thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyers beware, 29 July 2012
Benjamin Girth "NI5 MCR" (Hampstead N6) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I looked at the reviews and thought here were go, lots of people complaining with nothing better to do. How could such a solid (and expensive) machine not be good for 20 years... low tech all you have to do is de scale every 3 months. Also I know it is tempting to write a review of a product shiny and fresh out of the box but for but for this type of gadget it needs 18-24 months use before you can evaluate it.

I bought this 30 months ago, it has had modest use and for two years was perfect. I previously had two Dualit machines - at £350 and £150 and both were complete failures. (Dualit's service standards are dismal but then if they cannot make a kettle that doesn't leak you can't expect much better from their coffee makers).

KitchenAid (and Dualit) seem to make top of the line products that fail just after the warranty expires. My machine now has an electrical fault - it severely overheats and the streamer is temperamental. The drip tray and body pain are both flaking. This from a machine that cost £600. It's on its last legs - but is it worth spending a lot on getting it repaired, and how long will it then work for?

My simple advice - 1) buy a Cafetiere..... and use the KitchenAid machine as set decoration for your kitchen. 2) Amazon reviews are - with common sense - to be taken seriously.

In passing I am fed up of having " save the planet propaganda " dished out. The new light bulbs are great but they fail to illuminate. I was told by a sales assistant in John Lewis that a £1200 fridge is not designed to last more than five years! KitchenAid seems no better (as Dualit and my Dyson - a plastic straw would have better suction and a stronger build quality). Why - and at premium prices - can't we expect domestic appliances to last for a decade plus?

Wasn't it Lenin that said "capitalism will sell you the rope we hang them with?" Well if it is made by KitchenAid (Dualit or Dyson) no need to worry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine - shame about the steam, 7 April 2008
Geoff_swindon (Swindon, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes, this machine is industrial. Very heavy cast iron which is the hallmark of Kitchenaid.
The crema I get from this machine is good (given a good grind).
My only complaint with this machine so far and it is a big one, is the limited steam you get from the steam pump. If you are just using the tiny jug supplied with this machine then it is fine. If you use a larger jug for say 4 people, the pump runs out of steam after about 60 seconds. You have to wait about 3 minutes then for it to build up pressure again. Not good. And the hot water feature is basically to be avoided.

It has a proper wide group handle which is what you need for making good coffee and the fact the filter basket is held in by clips makes knocking out a simple step just like professional machines.

If Kitchenaid could sort the lack of steam, I would give this 5 stars. O'wise, I'm sticking to 3 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent back on day of delivery, 24 Mar 2011
Let me start by saying I really like the Kitchen Aid brand and have the artisan mixer which I use at least once a week. It was for this very reason that I decided to go for the espresso maker. I did notice the number of poor reviews on amazon that other users had given, but foolishly thought that after so much feedback, and the time period that they range over, that kitchen aid has had time to put the quality issues right in this product. I was very mistaken and after just an hour of having my brand spanking new coffee maker, I was boxing it back up again and arranging for it to be replaced. Water was gushing out of the sides of the water tank in a way which was clearly not intended. It's a real shame. I had waited in all day for the delivery with great expectations of the delicious coffee I was soon to be drinking. Come on kitchen aid, get to grips with quality control and give your loyal customers what they want - reliability, we are certainly paying enough to justify the expectation of receiving a high quality, long lasting and reliable appliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent machine - authentic Italian coffee, 9 Jan 2010
Mrs. Katy L. Thompson (Scotland - U.K.) - See all my reviews
"Twin boilers", "barista", "espresso", "7 grams of coffee", "30 mls of espresso", "15 bar pump", "9 bar pressure", "96 degrees centigrade for the water & no higher" - oh dear, oh dear, so much confusion. Buying a coffee machine seems to throw up more questions than answers, who could believe buying one could be so stressful? You are paying a great deal of money, & rightly, want to buy a machine which will give years of trouble free service, produce excellent coffee & look good.

Well I have bought the correct one; the Kitchenaid Artisan Espresso machine has transported me back to Italy, & does so every day when I make coffee. I searched, read very, many reviews, both by the public & by companies "which?" deal in such things, American reviews, British reviews, European reviews. I learned a great deal along the way about coffee making too, & finally, I chose the Kitchenaid Artisan espresso machine. I can confidently say it makes excellent coffee although not every review would have you believe this, indeed many reviews would put you off buying it. As a Home Economist used to appraising equipment, I can honesty say I am delighted, in every way with this purchase.

The Kitchenaid requires the input of you, the barista, so trial & error is involved until you have experimented a bit to find out your best means of making the coffee. No self respecting Italian would use a machine which grinds & brews at the press of a button, this is the Austrian & Swiss way, espresso machines are the Italian way. But these other machines do take out the trial & error, you simply press a button & the machine works for you, however this can be limiting to fine tuning the perfect cup of coffee. For me, in the long run, experimenting & having flexibility for making coffee is what I wanted & so I am absolutely delighted with the Kitchenaid.

The twin boilers are definitely an advantage; I can be drawing an espresso (25 seconds) while obtaining steam or hot water or frothing milk from the other independent boiler. I have no trouble with running out of steam, although I read of this problem; I find that milk froths very well indeed, producing an excellent head which gels to perfection (full fat milk straight from the fridge for best results). Also, despite other reviews to the contrary, the jug is a perfect size for me. A metal tamper would however be a good idea, as the one which comes with the machine is a light weight, but it gets you started.

The commercial sized brew head is made of chrome plated brass for good heat up time & stability of heat retention; there are 2 stainless steel filter baskets (slot in metal cups), one for a single shot of espresso (7 grams) & one for a double shot (14 grams) which slot into the commercial sized filter holder. I tend to use the double shot most of the time and dilute with hot water for an Americano. Since all coffee really stems from what you do with a basic espresso when you have "pulled" it. This machine allows many permutations of any type of coffee from macchiato to lungo. The crema is tip-top excellent, ambrosial heaven to smell & covering my entire coffee surface thickly.

The filter holder engages & disengages into the brew head easily, the two tanks heat up, in a quick 6 minutes, it is easy to clean, the drip tray being straight forward to remove & wash. The water tank tops up easily too, it simply pushes out a little to the left or right for topping up, then slides back into place effortlessly, this means the machine can be sited to suit your kitchen rather than you having to position it so that you can access the tank.

The drip free system with 3 way solenoid valve ensures you can disengage the filter holder the minute you have pulled your espresso without worrying about depressurising first, then you can flush the brew head in an instant, leaving your machine ready to make another espresso.

Of course it just looks sensational, mine is gleaming red, & draws people to it when they are in the kitchen, I drool over it daily. I also have the red Kitchenaid burr grinder, which is quite simply fabulous. The Artisan espresso machine is sturdy, very sturdy & made of cast metal, it will not move about on the work top. This machine is built to commercial grade & looks it too.

I have found ready ground Illy coffee works very well in the machine, but of course grinding ones own fresh coffee from some lovely different varieties also expands your experience, so don't be put off thinking you need to buy the burr grinder too, any bought coffee ground to espresso grade will work.

The manual is well presented with some excellent tips on honing your barista skills & drawing the perfect espresso. A delight to use & look at, I love it.

Edited to add:An important tip: the very first coffee I drew from the Artisan was disappointingly stone cold, this in part, was due to working slowly as it was the first ever attempt with the new gleaming gadget & also I was trying to read the instructions at the same time. However, follow these tips for best results. Always pre-heat the machine with the brew head engaged, this quickly heats the metal of the brew head which then ensures the hot coffee being flushed through it, remains hot & is not cooled by a cold brew head. Pre-heat the cup/mug (& the metal jug, if you are using it for hot water rather than frothing milk) by drawing a little hot water from the right hand tank into this, a half to one cm depth is fine, this heats the cup efficiently, discard the heating water & proceed.

Oh! & buy a copy of Liz Franklin's super little book, Caffé Italia. The authentic Italian bites to make & have with your coffee are delicious (I highly recommend the Tuscan soft almond cookies - Ricciarelli & the almond & pistachio loaf - torta alle mandorle e pistacchi, but all that I have made have been heavenly).

Edited March 18/03/2012: I notice there a high proportion of reported faults by other reviewers of this machine. I am wondering if people are leaving the machine switched on for long periods. It explicitly says in the instructions not to do this. It heats up so quickly it is not necessary to leave it on between uses. This is just a thought, & may not be the cause at all, but perhaps worth considering. My machine is used every day & has worked non-stop since Christmas 2009 without any problems what-so-ever.

13/09/13: still working beautifully & used at least 3 times a day.

Katy Thompson - Home Economist

1.0 out of 5 stars Dismal quality, 17 Nov 2012
Little more than four years old and having averaged just four cups of coffee per week, the steam nozzle now constantly drips all over the kitchen worktop, leaving a large puddle whenever it's used The lovely shiny red enamel has long since started chipping around the drip tray area for some inexplicable reason, and one of the pressure dials is now reading incorrectly. The matching blender we bought around the same time has fared even worse, as the plastic spigot on the motor spindle has just disintegrated, leaving the unit totally unusable, all after no more than 50-100 cycles.

So, Kitchenaid may look like the kind of heavy-duty kit the professionals would use, but in our experience it's not fit for even the lightest domestic use.

I have no intention of throwing another hundred pounds or so at this substandard product to get it repaired, only for it to most likely fail again after a similar period. It's destined for the rubbish bin, and I'll never consider Kitchenaid products again.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want a reliable machine, don't buy this, 17 Dec 2010
After less than a year our machine failed, we then had to wait 6 weeks for it to be inspected and a replacement shipped. We've had the replacement 1 week and it has failed - neither boiler is working.
The coffee that this machine produces is far superior than the other machines I have purchased, but if the machine doesn't actually work for long..what's the point.
Don't be fooled by the sales patter that suggests that you're buying a heavy duty machine - it might look bullet proof on the outside but it's clearly cheaply made on the inside.KitchenAid Artisan 5KES100BER Espresso Maker Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!, 30 Mar 2011
Mr. S. N. Manton "Mantona" (Walsall, UK) - See all my reviews
My wonderful looking machine made great - fuss free - espresso. I emphasise "made" since it stopped working due to a failed thermostat 3 weeks after purchase. One of those things I thought - it's under guarantee so no problem with a speedy replacement. A little optimistic with hindsight - the claim was immediately accepted by Kitchen Aid After Sales but I'm still waiting for a replacement more than 4 weeks later. My new machine has now not been working for longer than it was working.

KitchenAid Artisan 5KES100BER Espresso Maker Red