4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A GREAT FIRST TIME CAMERA
I have seen many reviews on this camera some good and bad, but i think its great!!!!
If your like me and want everything simply but have a great picture at the end of the day this camera is for you. Its:-
1)Light weight (very good for holidays)
2)You can make a home movie (record your mates drunk)
3)Has a nice case, very good zoom
4)Very good...
Published on 15 Sep 2005 by Mr Arron Rothwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Now I shall contradict myself
Changing my mind, now - perhaps it is me and not the camera. Put it this way - if you want t apoint and click - this is probably too futtery. I'll upgrade to 3 stars now.
Voting buttons? Are they not added automatically?
Published on 1 Jan 2006 by David Sims

4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A GREAT FIRST TIME CAMERA, 15 Sep 2005
Mr Arron Rothwell (Harlow, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax Optio 50 Digital Camera [5mp 3x Optical Zoom] (Electronics)
1)Light weight (very good for holidays)
2)You can make a home movie (record your mates drunk)
3)Has a nice case, very good zoom
4)Very good battery life (dont keep buying batterys, get a charger and re-use)
One thing i will say you must buy a 54mb card as you can get around 170 photos on that, or 35mins of film. If you have loads of money get yourself 1gb.
Hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars RESPONSE TO THE ONE-STAR REVIEW, 5 Oct 2005
I have been entirely happy with my recently purchased example, which is an improvement (time has marched on) over my Olympus C4040z, mainly because it is much easier to carry and is lighter. I have used it in all lights in a variety of situations and am very pleased with all the results. As it only takes 2 AA's and I charge-up four Ni-MH's AA 2500's at a time, carrying two spares is not a problem. I have not seen the equivalent Ricoh referred to. I have been taking photos for nearly 50 years and have had Rollie, Olympus OM and Minolta SLR systems. This is the camera that has led me to finally abandon using 35mm film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera for the price, 29 Dec 2005
Eric Baker (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a 2nd digicam as 103 pounds was so cheap for the size & spec. I'll keep my bigger, older Kodak DX6340 for its longer zoom and stronger flash (and a film SLR for occasional use). The Optio 50 is genuinely shirt pocket size, has a good zoom which goes wider than many and I could get going immediately with spare NiMH rechargables and SD card. The images are nice and sharp with good colour balance. The low light performance is OK rather than great but what do you expect from such a small camera? I also find the controls easy and about right in terms of the number of options. And I like having a viewfinder, unlike on many small digicams. So, an ideal take anywhere camera for those on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 9 July 2005
First digital camera - bought it off Amazon last month, & got a 1GB SD card for about 50. and used it while on holiday. Very easy to use, nice LCD monitor. Pictures taken look great at 5MP.
Great as a quick, simple point-and-shoot camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Point & Shoot Camera, 17 Jan 2006
I don't normally bother writing product reviews, but felt I had to in this situation. After reading some of the comments about this camera I though I had looked up the wrong model.
I can only assume that the low ratings about this camera are because they have genuinely received faulty units, or they have not bothered to read the manual correctly. My camera has been excellent. The images are pin sharp, the optical zoom is brilliant on a camera of this size, and the battery life has been excellent (I put this down to only ever using duracells, I presume the other reviewer probably uses Car Boot Sale specials which any digital camera will consume within minutes) As for blurry pictures, I can only imagine that this is due to the feature on this camera, which allows you to focus by partially holding the shoot button until you get a green light and then taking the picture. If you just point and shoot it will be blurred. You can turn this off, but I suppose that involves reading the manual and then navigating a few menus. Anyway, take my word for it this is a good camera for the price - as long as you can operate basic electrical equipment and don't mind looking at the instructions for ten minutes to set it up correctly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Now I shall contradict myself, 1 Jan 2006
Voting buttons? Are they not added automatically?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Nov 2005
Having previously owned a Pentax 35mm Camera I thought I would upgrade my Olympus Digital to a Pentax Digital. I have been really pleased with it. The pictures are sharp, the delay isn't too long as with other Digital CAmeras. It is really simple to use which is a must for me being a 'techno' phobic. It is nice and small/light weight. Great. Would point out as not too clear that you do need to buy a memory card as an extra.

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life - feature or flaw?, 3 Jan 2006
By A Customer
The manual suggests 80 pix from a set of batteries. OK - I know this is an approximation, but on the model we received at Xmas we've been getting no more than 10! I'm sure this one must have defective power management, but I don't want to get into lengthy arguments about what is, or is not, acceptable - and whether this is a fault or a feature. I'm returning the camera as it is completely unacceptable, and will replace it with something more reliable - and less hungry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok... but not great, 6 July 2006
I've had this camera for about a year having bought it to replace a Kodak one whose battery had stopped charging. It feels a bit cheap due to the plastic shell and is slightly larger than some of the other cameras around, but the case it comes with is good and it will still fit in a pocket.

I do have a couple of gripes though

- It can take a while for the camera to be ready to take a picture which can mean that you miss the moment

- I have struggled to take clear pictures with it. I'm not sure if its me or if the camera tries to focus on other things, but its very frustrating. You can't really tell from the screen if its a blurry picture.

- It drinks batteries. I've been using duracell M3 Ultras, but have now been recommended Philips Extreme Lifes. Next time I'll go for a camera with its own rechargable battery - much cheaper in the long run.

- The pictures, once you eventually take one that isn't blurry, are ok but the Kodak (3mp) felt better

To be honest, I wish I'd just brought a new battery for the Kodak.

1.0 out of 5 stars Having Similar Problems, 28 Dec 2005
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I have to agree with the one star review. I'm no great shakes as a photographer - but I have owned a couple of inexpensive cameras over the last few years and this has been a bitter disappointment. Virtually all the photos that I have taken are blurred - the image is sharp until I press to buton - then it goes fuzzy just as the picture is taken.
So if what I'm doing is wrong - let me know. Otherwise this camera is not worth having.