5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 13 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
I had previously bought "Our Endless Numbered Days" by Iron and Wine, and while I enjoyed it I can't say I considered it anything special. Not so for Woman King. Despite the short length this CD has impact: I haven't had it out my CD player since I bought it and I don't intend to for a while. Unfortunately this means I won't get anything else done as I can't help giving these songs my full attention. The breathy vocals remain as does the banjo but a change in style is notable in some songs, particularly "Evening on the Ground (Lilith's Song)" which is my personal favourite. Fans of his laid back style shouldn't despair though: "Gray Stables" and "Jezebel" can be seen as a continuation of his earlier work.
In short this is an essential album, a slight change in direction that will garner Iron and Wine new fans while more than satisfying the old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron & Wine for 2005, 4 Mar 2005
Juan Mobili (Valley Cottage, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
If you have kept your radar programmed for news about Sam Bean/Iron and Wine, you've probably read about the changes in his sound for this EP. For faithful fans who haven't heard this album yet, I will assuage any fears you might harbor of Iron And Wine having stray from the hushed Americana path.
There's indeed a bit of exploration toward fiercer musical territories, particularly on Woman King and Evening On The Ground with its more intense pace than the usual fare -even an electric guitar here and there!- yet none of it would seem unrecognizable to the long-time listener.
Overall, this is some of the music that Mr. Beam does so well, Folk and Country-tinged melodies sung in a hushed and moving tone with warm acoustic guitars behind it, now subtly accompanied by some bass lines and, at times, measured percussion.
Of course, this is not bad news. At least for me, if he were to continue to release albums in the style of The Creek Drank The Craddle, I'd continue to buy his music.
Speaking of his gorgeous debut, two songs here -Jezebel and My Lady's House- not only may remind you of The Creek Drank The Craddle, you may actually conclude that these beautiful compositions have nothing to envy the former set of songs.
Overall, this is a very respectable follow up to Our Numbered Days -his second album- and worth owning, although it may not take his sound to new altitudes. That's OK, the height at which this music hovers is high enough for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Production polish brings out songwriting sparkle., 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
The next full Iron and Wine album may just be a real cracker if this EP is a genuine marker of future work. From the breathy and poetic 'Endless Numbered Days' has grown a far more complex sound.
Added to the whsipering sweetness, and lyrical quality, is a new musical dimension. The first few seconds of the opening track with its sprightly percussion makes it clear that things have moved on, elsewhere we have loping basslines, violins, slide guitar, a country gospel tinge to 'Freedom Hangs Like Heaven' and the rich slumber of 'In My Lady's House' with a superb piano coda. Only the closing track goes a bit far for me, Beans fragile voice sounding at odds with the almost frenetic pace.
If you like this album, try Laura Veirs 'Carbon Glacier' for more modern inventive folk music. Alternatively the hushed gothic of Bonnie Prince Billy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woman King, 18 Sep 2007
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
This was my first try of Iron and Wine and I have to say it's a pretty good starting place. Short enough to give you enough taste of the style and long enough to enjoy the beautiful and melodious music. The ep is full of beautiful guitars and evocative lyrics throughout and the songs 'Jezebel' and 'Evening on the ground' are especially captivating. If you like this I reckon it's pretty safe to say you'll like the other albums. Overall a great slice of music to chill out to and be moved by.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

4.0 out of 5 stars The king is a woman, 30 Mar 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
At least Sam Beam is willing to experiment with his sound -- the Florida singer-songwriter has been expanding his brand of Southern folk-rock over the course of two albums. In the EP "Woman King," containing songs about women, he expands it even more.

Clattering percussion and a steady guitar strum open "Woman King," a murmuring midtempo song that serves as a solid liftoff point for the rest of the EP. "Freedom Hangs Like Heaven" and "Evening on the Ground (Lilith's Song)" simmer quietly with their country-folk-flavored chord, but backed by... well well, is that an electric guitar roiling in the background?

The other three slightly softer songs edge close to pop -- "Jezebel" is a soft, flowing ballad with Bible-edged lyrics. "Who's seen Jezebel/She was born to be the woman we could blame/Maybe a beast that is brave I'd be the same." The remaining songs are so delicte that they hardly seem to belong to the same album as the more robust numbers.

Of course, that isn't surprising. In some ways, this EP feels like Beam is stretching his wings -- he includes more instrumentation, including a couple of ballads that are laced with piano. The one downside is that the songs on it veer wildly from folky to balladic pop, completely without warning.

Fortunately, the music itself is very good -- the guitar and fiddle add a out-in-the-wild flavor to this music, along with the tribal-sounding drums in "Woman King." The one clumsy element is probably the electric guitar in the final song -- it sounds like the grinding sound was just pasted in there to add a bit of edge to the melody.

Beam's songwriting supports the music, often poetic and pensive as he looks at women of different types. "Evening On The Ground (Lilith's Song)" is the one exception -- instead of delivering his standard sweet murmur, he snaps out that "We were born to fuck each other/one way or another." Erm, okay. It just doesn't fit with the other songs.

Iron and Wine is still in good form with "Woman King." The EP has some new flourishes, and fortunately only a couple of them fall flat. Just hope whatever album is next will be so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron & Wine - Wonderful, 24 Jan 2014
J. Elkington "JadeLullaby" (Lincoln, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman King (MP3 Download)
Another wonderful album from Iron & Wine. I always find his music beautiful, different and great to listen to because of the variation, yet similarity in almost all his album.
Top tracks on the album i would say are: Jezebel, Woman King and Evening on the Ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
I first heard a track from this CD on a you tube clip. I was able to listen to a taster from each track on amazon before purchasing and bought the CD on the strength of this. I was not disappointed, the music is laid back, a little folksy and has great lyrics.I will be buying more sounds by Iron and Wine.

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet as, 5 Sep 2008
This review is from: Woman King (Audio CD)
The best new artist in this sphere of music is Nick Worrall. Google him and get his debut album for FREE. Incredible.

Woman King [VINYL]
Woman King [VINYL] by Iron & Wine (Vinyl - 2009)