Format: Audio CDChange

on 24 April 2013
I think of ambient music as something that you feel like you've been waiting for your whole life. This album is simply stunning whilst seeming simplistic, but you know it's far from simplistic. Special mention goes to 'An Ending (Ascent)', which will probably bring you to tears.

Eno is a genius, and I'll without doubt be purchasing more of his material in future. You can lose yourself in an album like this, and that's certainly not a bad thing.
on 2 April 2012
I seem to remember the editor of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy's being unavailable as he was on an intergalactic cruise - in his own office. Maybe he was listening to Brian Eno's music! Like his other work, you're either ready for this or you're not. I introduced myself with Apollo and Another Green World at the same time, and haven't looked back since. There is a strong space exploration theme here which channels your imagination in a more focused way than his other albums. Every time I hear the first track I imagine looking out the rear view screen watching Earth gradually receding. Some of the tracks will sink deep into your mind if you allow them to. Signals, Drift, Stars/Under Stars, it's hard to choose between them all. I appreciated the western themed homages to the astronauts, though I find I don't listen to them very often.

Apollo will make a great addition to your Brian Eno collection, and also has the potential to introduce you to his work if you're ready for it.
on 15 December 2005
Beautiful, wonderful ambient music that will repair your soul and replenish your spirit for human creativity. Brian Eno changes the face of music every time he releases music, no matter the genre, and this is no exception. Zero 7, Air and all you other pretenders listen is the conception of their vision. It still sounds great and like no other 'ambient' concept album available today. Lie back and let this warm and comforting wave of simplistic beauty take over your life. Irresistible, essential and overwhelmingly emotional - you simply will not believe how Brian Eno can take you somewhere so beautiful with the most simplistic arrangements. Less is so much more.
on 25 February 2014
I heard 'An Ending' recently on a BBC 2 15 minute drama called, 'Letters of Service', about a 100-year-old psychiatric patient who cannot talk, and all that is known of him is his birth date and forename. His young nurse is quietly shown his shattering past via an extraordinary silent display. Morris Perry and Chloe Bale ably portray the main protagonists.The film is inspired by a true story. Brian Eno's wondrous music magnifies the soulfulness and buried grief. I was brought to silent tears by the sounds that evoke sadness; retrospection; a sense of wonder at eternity, and acceptance of our mortality. Staggering, that in the face of our continuing combativeness, viciousness and cruelty, some of us can still perceive and contemplate the better side of our existence by creating this phenomenon called music, to convey to each other what words cannot.
on 17 November 2009
This is the mind-resting sound that Joe meek,the Genius music Producer of Telstar, would have made had he lived...this album is something to listen whilst being alone with your thoughts, a good bottle of wine and some soft lighting...a beautiful way to relax before bedtime.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2014
Brian Eno. you could pigeon-hole him under ambient if you want, but for me this guy comes under uncategorisable. I bought this album as it came out in 1983 and remains my favourite of all his releases, although 'Before and after science' would be a close second! I seem to recall The old grey whistle test showed some rough stock footage of the space documentary 'For all mankind', which this album was made to accompany. It was an epiphany for me to see this enormous four thousand tonne rocket taking off from it's moorings at Cape Canaveral. There was no sound of rocket engines roaring into the sky, no narration explaining boring details of fuel consumption or how dangerous this mission was going to be. Nothing, apart from the most angelic, heavenly, beautiful music i had ever heard in my eighteen year old ears. I found out very soon after that the music i'd heard was called 'An ending [ascent]', and it was by an artist called Brian Eno.
And the rest is history, he's an amazing artist as well as a much sort-after producer for artists such as Talking heads, U2 and Coldplay.
I cannot big this album up enough, i love having it on if i'm in the bath or in bed relaxing, however it does also contain moments of creeping unease in places, and really does leave you with the feeling you are in an uninhabitable place and that you are somhow detached from reality.
Beautiful darkness!
on 3 January 2012
Brian Eno, self-styled inventor of ambient music - ha ha, i really gave up listening to his stuff back in the early 1980s when I got sick of the size of his head. Let's first get something very clear: he didn't invent ambient or new age music, he just gave these long-established genres their new names, thus advertising his own musical output to the world at large. His style is pretty unique, but his sound pallette very limited - like he's trying to record the same 3 ideas over and over again. If he hadn't already put out some great ambient albums, this one might have drawn more attention from me at the time of its release, but I was really bored of the guy just then, and it's only recently that I've had time to play "catch up" with many of his remastered releases, and some, this included, do have good music on them. Atmospheres yes, soundtracks....hmmm, most people will never sit still long enough to watch the kind of films Eno has in mind here. A camera fixed on the shingle beaches around Derek Jarman's littler old house with the nuclear power plant misty in the far background like some brooding menace, an hour and a half of still shot....that might be the best film for this music. I'd watch it, but maybe only once.
on 20 February 2013
An unearthly, mysterious, sublime, desolate and uncanny creation. The highlight is "An Ending (Ascent)", which has been used many times in various places; if you don't know it I think you'll recognise it when you hear it. All in all I'm not a big fan of the ambient genre, I usually require something more robust and varied, though having said that, Apollo by Eno is a distinctive work brimming with a euphony of mesmeric tones and tunes.
on 25 October 2014
Many years ago I was watching a Christmas edition of Songs of Praise. One of the actors read a pslam (I forget which one), with An Ending (Ascent) playing in the background. I can only echo other reviewers in saying that it is a haunting, profoundly serene piece of music. I bought thisw CD on the back of it. If I've had a bad day, need some 'soul recuperation', or just want to relax into some kind of meditative mental state, there are certain pieces of music I turn to: the opening movement of Beethoven's 14th string quartet in C Sharp Minor (if you've not heard it try it!), or this, for instance. It always does the trick. Spellbinding and wondeful! PS, recently Absolute Radio (which we have on at work) played a Cold Play gig from the Albert Hall - the standout moment? An Ending (ascent) being used as the coming on stage music. Sorry guys should have just left Brian playing!
on 8 December 2002
An album that is simultaneously dark and forbidding, weightless and soaring.
Ending (Ascent) is one of the best pieces of ambient music I've ever heard. It was most recently used in the climax to the movie, Traffic proving this album to be ageless and inspired.