5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else like it.
I really loved The Mars Volta's previous album, De-loused in the Comatorium and I was rather uncertain when I first heard this. It certainly wasn't as easy to get into than their first one but after you've had the patience to listen to it a few times it all starts to make sense.
On this album they've incorporated a lot more instruments and styles to the music and at...
Published on 15 Aug 2005 by WaterWolf

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearly way below their potential and needlessly confusing
This is the first TMV album I heard as I came across it in a library and I was familiar with the name and wanted to give it a spin to satisfy my curiosity. I have to say I was very disappointed as it started off really good with some awesome singing and lyrics before busting into one awesome guitar lick, but after those first couple of minutes the steam was just gone. I...
Published 18 months ago by Derek Vinard

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review Of Frances the Mute, 30 Jan 2005
Brian Keville (Leixlip, Co Kildare, IE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
Take "Relationship of Command", "In/Casino/Out", "Acrobatic Tenement", compile them together, and you will have nothing that sounds like Frances the Mute. ... Heh heh..
The Mars Voltas second album once again unearths Omars passion for creating chilling & screeching ambience, and more importantly, fantastic music. This album has a hint of the Chillis, no surprises with Flea and John appearing once again on their album. It also has hints of Led Zeppelin (The Widow echoing "Since I've Been Loving You"), Pink Floyds 1970 album Meddle also a major influence in my opinion in parts of this album(Track4). The highlight of this album is Cedrics fabulous singing. Robert Plant would only be proud of the lad. The last song, the epologue of this album is a classic example of spontaneity and craziness as one would expect from this band. A half hour of pure bliss.
This is a fabulous follow up album to "Deloused..", however, it fails to produce a "Roulette Dares" for me. You really can't better that album as it remains for me, the greatest album ever made. "Frances the Mute" will not dissapoint folks, take my word for it. Pulsating. Put some meat on Omar, looks like he could do with a good feed...

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult album that doesn't satisfy, 20 Aug 2009
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
I bought Frances The Mute when released for three reasons.

1. I like prog (or at least I think I do).
2. It had a great album cover.
3. Tommy Udo (semi-noted heavy metal writer) in Classic Rock bigged it up as an album you can invest time in as you'll never get your head around it.

My opinion is that it's almost okay but it's too tuneless to be enjoyable and has some horrible atonal parts. Also it's musically too start stop as the heavy bits and the melodic stretches are too brief to satisfy.

The biggest disappointment for me was that the lyrics are in English, Spanish (?) and a made up language. So basically it's lyrically incomprehensible to me. And the English words are meaningless anyway. Oh and the singers high pitched voice isn't very pleasant.

They then released the third album very soon after the second. I decided I'd already bought all the Mars Volta I'll ever need and I've never been tempted to explore further.

I have Frances on my iPod but I don't think I've listened to it in years. I'm happy to continue ignoring it.

Not an awful album but a notch below okay. I wouldn't recommend it. I would instead suggest trying Larks' Tongues In Aspic by King Crimson or Lateralus by Tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Album Of The Year???YES!!!, 19 Jan 2005
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
The Mars volta are back with the follow up to 2002's ground breaking and revolutionary album "De-loused In The Comatorium". This band have never been the ones to offer their fans an easy ride and expect "Frances The Mute" to be no different. At almost 76 minutes of uninterrupted music the album will be divivded into tracks called "suites" and is not a concept album like "De-loused..." The album was produced by guitarist Omar, who also wrote all the music. This time round Cedric was allowed to write the lyrics so expect if you love At the drive in, you know what you can expect. Flea and john from the RHCP return again to play on the album and but this time Flea's playing trumpet. The band are shooting their first ever video for what will probably be the first single off the album called "the window" in January 2005 in El Paso. "Frances the Mute" was recorded in Australia, California, Peurto Rico and New York and RHCP producer Rick rubin was beside omar in producing the album ever step of the way. IF YOU WANT TO HEAR GROUND-BREAKING BEAUTIFUL MUSIC I ENCOURAGE YOU BUY THIS ALBUM.....ITS STUNNING!

4.0 out of 5 stars At last!! the eagerly awaited second album by the MARS VOLTA, 15 Feb 2005
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
Not a lot of bands in the history of rock have released outstanding records in a regular basis..... i think i would have to recall PINK FLOYD with their awesome series of albums going from MEDDLE to THE WALL... and of course there are others but the thing is that is very tough... and after an album as exceptionally ass-kicker as their debut DE-LOUSED.... well the MARS VOLTA simply had it rough.
FRANCES THE MUTE, their new album it's a great work of art, but depending on criteria, it can fail to overcome the shadow left behind by it's predecessor and therefore leave us fans wanting a bit more..... well me at least.

peace!!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy buy buy, 10 Jun 2006
This review is from: Frances the Mute [VINYL] (Vinyl)
After hearing the widow i felt a little worried that the mars voltas second album would not be as good as their first. Thankfully i was wrong. On this album the mars voltas talent shines through even more so than on the first. From opener cygnus vysmund cygnus i was hooked and i haven't lost any of the love that i felt when i first listened to this album.In case anyone is wondering the other language they sing in is Spanish and the track listing is this:

1. Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus

2. The Widow

3. L'via L'viaquez

4. Miranda That ghost Just isn't holy anymore A. Vade Mecum

5. Miranda That ghost Just isn't holy anymore B. Pour another icepick

6. Miranda That ghost Just isn't holy anymore C.Pisacis (Phra-men-ma)

7. Miranda That ghost Just isn't holy anymore D.Con Safo

8. Cassandra Gemmini A. Tarantism

9. Cassandra Gemmini B. Plant a nail in the navel system

10.Cassandra Gemmini C. Faminepulse

11.Cassandra Gemmini D. Multiple Spouse Wounds

12.Cassandra Gemmini E. Sarcophagi

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more, 30 Aug 2005
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
For those of you (above) in doubt as to the language on L'Via, it is Spanish. In fact the words make more sense than the English words on the song. Spanish is not innapropriate, seemingly dealing with some Catholic subtexts- "..Without my mother [my story] only tells of the pain of the night..". Also look at the guys' names and the fact they originate in El Paso which must be at least 50% Spanish speaking.

2.0 out of 5 stars embarrassing tripe, 4 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
Oh boy! I never thought I'd be listening to twaddle like this again, having banished stuff like Yessongs to a previous life. The last track is simply ghastly - anyone who professes to like this should get out more. It's only saved by the opener, which reprises the insane energy of lots of DITC and the amazing At the Drive In (now THAT was a band...yes yes, I know that they've "moved on" but one can still dream).
Still, looking forward to seeing them live. Overall, save your pennies.

Frances the Mute
Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta (Audio CD - 2005)