4.0 out of 5 stars A Grower After All...
Published on 25 Aug 2005 by B. Broadribb

3.0 out of 5 stars Human Musique
It's worth comparing the careers of near contemporary bands Daft Punk and Air. Both French, both innovators in electronic music and both having critically acclaimed first albums in Homework and Moon Safari.
But where Air seemed to have disappeared into their own vagueness, Daft Punk last hit the studio in 2005, to produce a third album that returns to their roots, an...
Published on 17 Jun 2008 by Ali H

4.0 out of 5 stars A Grower After All..., 25 Aug 2005
B. Broadribb (Wimbledon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
My relationship with this album has been one of ups and downs. I managed to get hold of this album about a month before it came out. Four years since Discovery, I was on tenterhooks to hear DP's new stuff. So I listened to it all the way through, and it was a big let down. Not to worry, I thought, these could be unfinished tracks DP have put out to foil music pirates.
The release of the album rolls around and I buy it on the day of release. I once again I was eagerly anticipating hearing it. Needless to say I was kind of deflated when I heard the same stuff which had disappointed me a month earlier. I listened to it all the way through a couple of times, with only the title track and Robot Rock impressing me. So I put the album on my shelf dismissing it as a "difficult third album" and generally not being very impressed. However, I came back to it after a few weeks wanting to hear parts again. Now every time I listen to this album I like it more.
The good tracks generally outweigh the mediocre, and there isn't a truly "bad" track on here. The first three tracks are great, as is Television Rules The Nation. Technologic is also good, but can get a little annoying. The Brainwasher and Steam Machine take a while to get into, but once you get used to them pretty good. Make Love is okay, not just a loop going round for four minutes as I first though as there are subtle changes in the backing, but should definitely have been cut in half at least in terms of length, and would have been fine as a track similar to Nightvision on Discovery. Emotion is a nice chilled way to end the album, but nothing special. That gives you a fairly solid album, although I have to say I sometimes skip the middle third of the album (I include the On/Off skit in that as well).
Give this album a chance. If you liked DP's first two albums I would say this album will almost certainly grow on you if you don't like it straight away. It is closer in style to Homework, but generally has a style of its own, with a much more minimalist, almost microhouse vibe running through it, which is not surprising considering the big difference in styles between Homework and Discovery. My least favourite of DP's three albums, but still a very good album in its own right, and one that I have grown to enjoy a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars back to the roots!, 31 Mar 2005
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
Okay okay, you're either gonna love it or hate it with a passion. For those of us who absolutley thrived off the Homework album, with its dirty dark repeatitive beats and spaned classics like Burnin' and Teachers, were right back there. Gone is the tidyness of Discovery, and i think if you preffered Discovery and never heard Homework- keep away!- There are no light hearted anime pop tracks here, just deep dark earthy tunes. Robot rock instantly makes your body pop from start to finish, brilliant & simple - such a happy return to their earlier form- go the daft punk!!! :) one for the homeworkers out there.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
I genuinely can't understand why people don't like this album, I absolutely love it.
Admittedly at first I thought it was not up to scratch with other daft punk albums but, after 2 or 3 listen throughs (as I always give every one of my albums) I fell in love with some of these tracks. Even the experimental ones such as; Brainwasher, Emotion, Make Love, Steam Machine. When combined with tracks that instantly grabbed me like; Robot Rock, HumN After All, Technological, Television Rules the Nation and Prime Time of Your Life. You end up with a very good album. ALL THE TRACKS ARE AMAZING.
Many people feel it doesn't sound like old daft punk and I have to agree but that doesn't make it a bad thing. Bands reinvent themselves all the time, Muse, Guns and Roses, Daft Punk has changed the way they do music. If you are expecting another simial version of Discovery you'll be disappointed but if you want a fantastic album by an even beter band then you'll enjoy it.
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it and don't complain until you've listened to every song twice. Trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daft Punk is Phillip Glass in Electronic and House Music., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
I am 72 years old and like all types of music and bought this album on impulse.I really enjoyed it and this music you can listen and enjoyed it and you can tap you feet with track Robot Dace irrespective of your age.Play this track to a baby and you see that they will move their feet and hands.Some people only like some type of music such as jazz or classical music.I listen to this track and Human after all and Beethoven 5 symphony and enjoy them and we must not be judgemental in comparing previous album with new albums.Compare Beethoven symphony 2 and 3 and what is a difference.I really enjoy this all albums and repeated word sound like Phillip Glass.Any suggestion what next Daff Punk album should I buy as I am on limited finace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Tool Masterpiece, 28 Mar 2008
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
Whilst I can understand some listeners' concerns that a few of the tracks on this album can become a bit repetitive - or may even appear sketchy in some respects - I believe that the style of 'Human After All' is simply indicative of a shift in direction by the duo, much like 'Discovery' was a change in direction from the raw approach of 'Homework'.
Being a 'Homework' fan, I'm glad that in many respects Daft Punk have returned to their roots in what Mr A. Jack called an "instrumental" direction, as apposed to the "lyrical" style of their second album. However, what has struck me most about 'Human After All' is that it appears to be a stylistic bridge between their first and second albums. It is instrumental, but the sounds have matured since the duo's 1997 debut.
'Alive 1997' was a groundbreaking tour (& record) and, thanks to the seamless integration of many of their classic tracks last year, its 2007 counterpart has achieved equal, if not greater, recognition. In my opinion, the stylistic chasm between 'Homework' and 'Discovery' would not have lent itself to the production of sensational live performances whereas, with the tracks in 'Human After All' also at their disposal, Daft Punk managed last year to create a true live phenomenon around the world. The seamless mixing of 'Superheroes / Human After All / Rock'n Roll' (tracks from all three of their previous studio albums), a feature of their recent tour, is perhaps testament to this. As S.M.Boyd already mentioned, when seen live, these tracks start to make "a lot of sense".
So, if you are unsure about this album and are perhaps dubious as to its artistic merit, I suggest you check out 'Alive 2007'. I assure you, you won't regret it (it's a record of, arguably, one of the best ever live electronic performances from a group that has been creating classic tracks for over ten years!) and you'll start to appreciate this little gem a whole lot more for it!

Moreover, the style displayed in 'Human After All' has been instrumental in the birth and growth in popularity of a new scene of electronic artists, spearheaded by the Ed Banger Records label, Paris. If you like this, you may want to check out some of the talent from this new generation of Daft Punk-inspired producers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Human after all - but genius with it, 11 Dec 2006
S. M. Boyd "Boydy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
Any one who does not like this album should go and see daft punk live, if the chance arises. The tracks on this album when worked into a set with classics from homework start to make a lot of sense, a whole lot of sense.

And that's that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, especially after seeing them live, 17 Jun 2007
Sam Moore (Birmingham U,K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
Alot of people dont seem to like this album but once listened to alot you cant stop listening to it.

If you ever get the chance to see Daft Punk live do it, its unforgettable and the songs on this album will stand out even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars L337 After All, 13 July 2006
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
I bought all three Daft Punk albums at the same time, and at first I played Discovery the most as it was the style I was familiar and comfortable with. However the more I heard of Homework and Human After All, The better they seemed to sound. Forget the poor songs (in my opinion) such as Emotion, Make Love and Television Rules the Nation, and this is an awesome album. If you give it a chance, this album is likely to grow on you as it did me. The Brainwasher and Human After All are particularly good as far as I'm concerned, and if Daft Punk make an album like this within 6 weeks, then I hold them in even higher regard.

4.0 out of 5 stars They're only human - after all, 26 Oct 2005
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
After waiting for four years, Daft Punk finally deliver their new album after only 6 weeks production time. Whilst not quite as underground as 'Homework' and nowhere near as commercial as 'Discovery', Daft Punk bridge the two with 'Human After All'.
Gone are the pop vocal hooks that awashed 'Discovery' and in come futuristic, techno loops and sound effects. 'Human After All' seems to follow the same philosophy as their debut - take one idea for a track and roll with it. On tracks such as the title track, 'Robot Rock', the pounding, almost techno workout 'The Brainwasher' and 'Technologic' this works extremely well, and you know that DP are at their best. However, the concept doesn't work so well on 'Make Love', which goes on for 3 minutes longer than it should, and the mediocre end track 'Emotion', which feels like it was produced in a matter of hours. Even though the stronger tracks far outweigh the weaker ones, the repetitive nature of the tracks can get tedious and may have you switching off. However, this also works to the album's advantage - when the loops work you will find yourself wanting to listen again and again.
Fans of Discovery may hate this album. If you're looking for more of the same then steer well clear. However, DP have never been consistent with the sound of their albums, so if you want the freshest sounds from the most pioneering of dance acts 'Human After All' is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great artists - Great album, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Human After All (Audio CD)
Human after all is a awesome song with the deep and high bits :D i love Daft Punk

Sincerely Long time Daft Punk fan

Human After All
Human After All by Daft Punk (Audio CD - 2005)