on 23 October 2007
I think the previous reviews are right - very disappointing as a bath toy, once splashy is in the water you can barely hear him and his swimming action is so poor he goes nowhere. The other problem I found is that my 1 year old does not have the dexterity or the strength to push the button that starts the tune, by herself. As a toy - not in the bath -highly successful, the gargling version of the song is very amusing and makes me smile every time I hear it. My little girl carries it round the house and he often has afternoon tea with her!!
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2010
My daughter was given Splashy The Penguin as a present when she was around 9 months old. Over 2 years on and Splashy has been used during most bath times. He is very durable and shows no visible signs of wear and tear.

The penguin has a pink wind-up on his back. When the wind-up is wound up and released the penguins flippers spin around and make him appear as though he is swimming. My daughter loves winding him up and watching his flippers spin around when he's out of water - it always makes her giggle. It took my daughter a while to grasp how to wind the penguin up and isn't the easiest task for tiny fingers to perform (under 2's may struggle). His spinning flippers are supposed to allow him to swim around the bath but sadly this isn't the case. His flippers don't seem strong enough in the water and he doesn't actually move very far at all. I would call it bobbing around rather than swimming. As the flippers do not require batteries it means they will never run out or need replacing.

The penguin also sings (for me this is the highlight of the toy!). The penguins pink 'mohawk' doubles up as a button - when you press it forward he starts humming the tune to 'row row row your boat'. The choice of song is great as it is a nursery rhyme that my daughter knows very well and is a nursery rhyme that most young children know and can sing along to. When the penguin is tipped onto his back or front he gargles the song as if he is underwater! I love the fact that he can change from humming to gargling midway through the song too, I'm still baffled by this! Needless to say my daughter loves tipping him over in the bath and hearing him sing underwater. The only downside is that he is quite quiet when he sings underwater and can be hard to hear if there is a lot of noise going on in and around the bath. The button/mohawk is also very hard for tiny fingers to push and will almost always need an adult to work it - major downfall.

The penguin requires 3 x LR44 batteries (the silly little round ones which nobody keeps in the house) which are included - ours run out after around 18 months.

Splashy has flat feet which means he is easily balanced on flat surfaces, such as on the side of the bath. He also floats very well and doesn't appear to sink.

Overall this is a good but not a great bath toy (get it sorted Tomy!). He certainly is cute and may brighten up a lot of childrens bath times, but don't expect too much of him.
on 29 January 2007
my two year old adores this toy. it may be described as a bath toy, but this penguin went everywhere with him on christmas day - in the basket of his scooter, on the dinner table, and in his cot at the end of the day. the song splashy sings is infuriatingly catchy, and the gargled version of the song he sings when tipped face down has just the right touch for adult sick minds out there.
on 15 January 2008
Completely agree with the other reviewers who have pointed out although splashy has a lovely catchy tune you can't hear him once he goes in the water and his little flippers are not strong enough to make him swim anywhere, huge disappointment daughter ended up playing with splashy only outside the bath... if ever. Not so great for a BATH toy !
on 14 May 2013
My daughter received this as a gift for her 1st birthday and really liked it. The tune is annoyingly catchy but I could live with that. I was very happy with this initially and even bought one as a present for a friends' little girl, however not long after my daughter's birthday her toy became a little temperamental. It would stop working and then randomly start singing again just as we were putting our daughter to bed, then it stopped working altogether. We assumed this was just due to the batteries running down, however new batteries were purchased and it still didn't work. Not sure the design is good enough for it to withstand much going under water?? Which, if this is the case, is a little ridiculous for a bath toy! Perhaps we just got a "dud" one though. Also the one I bought through Amazon for my friends' daughter came with batteries as advertised, however I'd assumed it would come with batteries that actually worked! Apparently this was a little too much to ask.
on 5 February 2007
We bought this in the hope that it would entertain our 1 year old at bathtime, but were very disappointed. Granted it is cute and although it's singing is quite entertaining (if a bit quiet), sadly it only entertains us, not our daughter. When you wind it up and let it go, it goes nowhere fast as the paddling action is not strong enough.
on 24 June 2011
Baby loves this - if I could give it ten stars I would.
A great toy for bath time and well and truly water proof - certainly not a toy thats going to break easily. Penguin will be a toy that lasts for years.
Highly Reccomended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 26 August 2015
Fantastic! when you tilt it upside down in the water it sounds like the penguin is singing underwater and when on his back, it is nice and clear. 4 stars as it could be louder. To make him start singing, you just push his hair. You can wind his arms and then he flaps in the water. We have left it submerged in water and it still works fine a couple months down the line!
on 9 June 2011
Agree with other reviews. Effectively it doesnt really do a whole lot. My son got really excited when he initially saw it and was left a bit bewildered when he put it in water. Just about one length of the bath before it has to be wound up again. Barely moves in the water and you cant hear the music!
on 11 April 2010
Bought this for my 2 year old niece she absolutely loves it, its brilliant it shoots around the bath singing then when you turn it face down it carries on singing in bubbly voice, absolutely brilliant,its well made with lovely bright colours, she cant wait to get in the bath highly recommend this.