5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Hot Hot!!!, 21 May 2008
This review is from: This Is It - Anthology (Audio CD)
When Betty Mabry met Miles Davis she had a catalytic effect on him. He was looking for a new inspiration and his band was in a state of flux. She is featured on the cover of Filles De Kilimanjaro and there is a number,Mademoiselle Mabry named after her. She introduced Miles to Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone which brought about changes to his music that produced Bitches Brew. He was going to call it Witches Brew but it was Betty who persuaded him to change the name.

They married but it only lasted a year. You would think that this is a significant claim to fame and that her pesonal musical career would struggle to live up to that but you would be wrong, dead wrong. This is an anthology from her three albums. She has been called a 1970s Madonna but one that makes Madonna look like Donna Osmond and this has a ring of truth about it.

Betty Davis was all about down and dirty funk. She screamed as much as she sang. Clearly she was a big influence on Kellis in the days when she was Caught Out There: "I hate you so much right now!" before she started on about her Milkshakes. Betty sounds like a powerful sexual woman who would be more than a match for any man and should be a role model young black women everywhere, an empowered woman who I wouldn't dare to cross.

This is a gem and if you have never heard Betty Davis you should now!

The tracks here are:

18 Shut off the light
19 This is it

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS IT betty davis, 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: This Is It - Anthology (Audio CD)
this is one of the most exciting cd i,ve brought.the guitar on this album is a cross between jimi hendrix and funkadelic with a solid rhythm from drums and bass and the vocals have the power of a rock band its and anamazing force and quite suductive feel. this is a great album buy and feel the heat and passion

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: This Is It - Anthology (Audio CD)
Great strong voice, really atmospheric record from a powerful performer. Betty Davis is one of the overlooked singers of this era. A brilliant bargain: buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irreseistible, 26 Sep 2014
Absolutely irresistible, I have already bought this on CD...mysteriously though, it has gone missing. I know for a fact that both of my sons really, really liked it when I played it to them both. Speaks right across the generations...she was (as were the muso's on these recordings) awesome! As long as my CD copy went amiss for 'educational purposes' I shall not be too concerned that I had to buy it twice :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky and feisty., 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: This Is It - Anthology (Audio CD)
Funky and feisty with a capital F. This album showcases tracks from various albums by Ms Davis and hopefully will help bring her back from relative obscurity. She helped pioneer powerful female singers in the seventies, aided by an immense studio band comprising most of Sly & The Family Stone. They don't come much better than that. Buy it, then prepare to put Lady Gaga and the like aside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super funky music, 11 Aug 2014
Steven Martin "steviewunder" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Super funky music.
Best funk music I have heard in years, how did I miss this for all these years, brilliant bass mostly by Larry Graham, choopy guitars and enough funky vocals to funk up any dance.
Just an expolsion of funk ,comparisons are difficult as it is pretty unique, possibly mix between Sly and Slave.
Most underated funkster ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh youth, 4 May 2014
gordon (Gloucester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is It - Anthology (Audio CD)
I lost my vinyl copy ages ago.It took along time to come down to this price.
I shouldn't of waited. What a great time I had listening to the album.
GOOD heavy funk. It will blow your mind again and if you haven't listened to it before, this will inform you.
THIS IT IT by Betty Davis is what I call funk

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: This Is It - Anthology (Audio CD)
The delivery came really fast, great music. My favourite songs are; If I'm in luck I might get picked up, Anti love song, Your man my man, Steppin' in her I. Miller shoes, Git in there, They say I'm different, 70's blues, Your mama wants ya back, Nasty gal, Gettin' kicked off, havin' fun, Funk and This is it. I like 70s funky music and Betty Davis is a fantastic singer.

This Is It - Anthology
This Is It - Anthology by Betty Davis (Audio CD - 2009)