Format: Audio CDChange

If anyone were to ask me, as an outright non-expert, to recommend something that for me was "typically early 21st century country", this would be high on the list. Lyrically it has most of the ingredients. Absent lovers and ex-lovers (Your Shirt, I Got Him Ready For You); present lovers and past lovers (Just The Way We Do It, Southside Of Lonesome); and lovers who have gone but you know they're gonna come back one night when they've had one too many (What If I Can't Say No Again). There's a real tear-jerker hometown ballad (River). Between A Mother And A Child is a brutally honest address to mom about the grudges she holds against dad, and her martyr status at having stuck with him just for the kids. And the opener, It's the Song, is one of those self-answering "why the hell am I on the road?" songs.

This is all backed up by accomplished musicianship and catchy tunes which are great to sing along to when you're driving, though you have to have the volume up high so you don't drown out that great voice.

I admit though to being puzzled by something in Bumper of My SUV, about a lady in a minivan who gives Chely the finger. Chely, how do you know it's because of the US Marines sticker? You sure she wasn't commenting on your driving in Wheels? Or maybe she's a buddy of your mom's? Or could it be she saw your ex roll up drunk at your door the other night? But as the album's "political song" it's not only poignant, if you can block out the mystery, but also a very different - but "country" - approach.
on 8 July 2008
Chely's albums have been mainly traditional/contemporary country but she decides to go more Pop/Country with this album.It has a more acoustic vibe to it which is good but it's a shame she didn't keep it country enough.
However,it's still a good album.She kicks things off with the great It's The Song(which sums up chely perfectly).Other great ballads are Back Of The Bottom Drawer,I Got Him Ready For You,Southside Of Lonesome and Wheels.She also does a hauntingly,deep song about her relationship with her mother called Between A Mother And A Child.
Chely wrote most of the songs on this,so you get to really see what a great writer she really is.Her voice as always sounds amazing, I just hope for her next album she keeps it more country...
on 20 June 2014
Love her music, and this is a no-brainer - eh, except for the silly price. That has to be a typo error, as you can pick this up at the iTunes store, for example, for £7.99, so I can't see why Amazon is trying to sell it at a little over £27. Yup, I got mine from iTunes, so this review is just to give a thumbs up for the music.

Apart from the fact that nobody in their right mind would buy a modern CD at this price, the music is just exactly what you'd expect: punchy, meaningful lyrics and tunes to match.

Well, worth the investment.

If you like this, check out her more recent "Lifted Off The Ground", which I'd say is better - might be a question of opinion, as this latter is 5 years on, and she's obviously got better between CD releases.

Enjoy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2005
As a relative newcomer to country and a first timer to the 'Grand Old Opry' in the middle of June 05 I was pleased to hear a very special young lady sing a couple of exceptionally good songs. I had never heard of her before (I'm from England!)but after 3000 miles and this CD being played pretty much continually I am pleased to say this albumn would now figure in my all time top ten. You go girl!
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2007
This is one of the best albums I have ever heard! It is a wonderful collection of songs which blends contempory and alternative country brilliantly. Every track is great and ranges from mid-tempo (Just the Way We Do it), fast (C'est La Vie) to slow (What if I Can't Say No Again). And the sequencing of the songs means that you get some emotional relief with something like Your Shirt after a track such as the political (but not uncomfortably so) Bumper of my SUV.

There are also some great story songs like Back of My Bottom Drawer and, probably the most detailed and emotional track, The River. And there aren't just ballads like (apart from the above) Wheels, Southside of Lonesome and Between a Mother and a Child, but catchy, foot taping tracks such as I Got Him Ready for You, Your Shirt and Just the Way We Do It. This is an album that will enchant you, relax you and make you think. And once you've been taken on this emotional and encaptivating journey, you can sing along to the classic Chuck Berry cover C'est La Vie (You Never Can Tell). Chely wrote many of the songs here, the best ones being the ones she did write, and hearing her tell us all of this is truly engaging.

This is my latest all-time favourite album!

Buy it, hear it, treasure it!
on 17 March 2015