5.0 out of 5 stars A reliable mp3 player for everyday use
First of all, let me start by saying that I own both the ipod shuffle (512 MB version) and the ipod nano (2 GB version). I found that the shuffle offers great flexibility and advantages over the nano:
Published on 21 Mar 2006 by karapant

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money but flawed
This is my first mp3 player and I have been reasonably impressed with it.I have not found the lack of display a problem and the sound quality is pretty good.Replace the white headphones though;no point being a target for thieves for a £70 device.
Published on 8 Nov 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A reliable mp3 player for everyday use, 21 Mar 2006
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
- It is more robust. The nano feels like a sensitive gizmo, ready to break at anytime. It's screen scratches preety easily, and the chromed rear of the device gets smudged staright away by fingerprints. The shuffle has a slightly less elegant design, while being extremely robust: there are no visible "sensitive" parts !
- It comes with a neckstrap, so you can put it on while on the go. I found this to be a great feature, provided the price. Sure you can do the same to a nano, but you have to buy the neckstrap as an accessory.
- It has the usb plug built-in, so you dont have to use a cable, as in the nano case. In many cases, I have also conveniently used it as a flash drive.
I dont really care on carying a lot of songs with me, and I like the random play feature. I usually update the shuffle's music from a library of my favourite songs, so I dont mind which song comes first or second (perhaps cycling through playlists could be a nice feature, when I occasionaly want to change the music style being played).
As a result, the nano stays at home, playing the role of a high-tech gizmo, and the shuffle gets to do all the work, carried around all day.

4.0 out of 5 stars You won't even know it's there., 23 Sep 2005
T. F. Brettell "neech_manley" (Coseley, West Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
This is the first iPod I've owned, having dithered around for ages put off by the high prices of all the other iPod's, their relatively large sizes and not really seeing the need to have 5000 songs in my back pocket. After an age of reading reviews on the net, both glowing and critical, I decided to take the plunge and buy one. And I'm very happy with it.
Having used iTunes as my default player for awhile, I can say that 99% of the time it's in shuffle mode, which made the shuffle a logical purchase for me. Added to that, the main selling points were its cost and its uberly small size. You really won't beleive how tiny this thing is when you first take it out of the package. And whilst I hate the 'iPod as a fashion statement' school of thought, it really does look like a nice piece of kit.
Having read lots of contentious arguments about the product before buying, It's pretty obvious that you either love or hate this thing. The main point of hatred for the shuffle is its lack of screen and therefore song selection ability, which seems to be missing the point of having a shuffle. As I don't tend to have music that I don't want to listen to on my computer, not having a screen doesn't bother me in the slightest, indeed it's the lack of screen that means the shuffle can be as tiny as it is. If you really can't bear not having a selection screen, don't buy this. However, it holds 120 songs, and remembers where you were when you turned it off, meaning you rarely have to suffer repetition. Mine is for day to day usage, meaning I just whack it in my PC every night and shuffle in another 120 songs for the next day. Roughly eight and a half hours of music is more than enough for a couple of days journeying to and from work, uni, and friends houses.
There are only a couple of slightly annoying things about this product. When you are charging it from your PC, it doesn't tell you when you've achieved a full charge, which makes it a matter of guesswork more than anything else. Also the algorithim that dictates the shuffle seems to play the songs in a pre-set random order, much like the one on iTunes, which defeats the random concept a little. However, I have never found this to be a problem. The iPod does scratch pretty easily, and you will also get pretty pissed off pretty quickly with how twisted the headphones get.
Many people will tell you that there are better mp3 players out there, and denigrate the shuffle for it's lack of features and the fact that it is simply a release so that apple, who monopolise the high and mid range mp3 player markets to monopolise the lower, cheaper end too. Well, it probably is, but I don't really see why that's a problem. Whilst I can accept that many people only buy an iPod "Because it's cool", the main reason that apple has made a killing on the iPod is because it's simple to use and comes with easily usable and manageable software. Before you buy anything like this, given the amount of choice on offer, you should really do your homework and get the product that best suits you. For me, the shuffle does exactly what it says on the tin, is unobtrusive, and is a fraction of the cost of other players. I hope you found this review useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect but ..., 19 Mar 2005
D. Hull "TooFitToDrop" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
It's totally amazing how small and light this player is. I already have a 3rd gen 40GB ipod but wanted something more practical to use during fairly vigourous exercise (gym and running) so I got this.
It doesn't deliver anything that the 40GB can't do but it has the advantage of size/weight. In fact, the 40GB, as you might expect, does everything the shuffle can do and a whole lot more, so if like me, you already have an ipod hard-disk based machine, I wouldn't particularly recommend this, unless like me, you want something ultra-portable for exercise or the like or maybe just want something a little more covert.
If you haven't got an ipod already then it's a completely different ball game - the shuffle represents a very affordable way into the MP3 market and is an excellent all-round option provided you don't mind not having a screen on it.
Sound quality seems as good as my bigger ipod and it's pretty easy to load it from itunes which comes with it. I do generally get about 120 songs on it which is about 8-9 hours continuous playing time (conveniently within the 12 hour charge capacity). Charging it is as simple as plugging it into a spare USB port while your computer is running.
Generally I would say it's an excellent little device but I do have a few minor gripes about it :
The flat slide-switch on the back is a bit fiddly, especially if you want to set it to the middle non-random mode - just plays songs in order they were loaded.
There's only a vague indication of what charge is left in the ipod (a tiny green light) and unless you remember how long you've used it since your last full charge then believe me you will get caught out a few times. Likewise for charging, it doesn't tell you when it's fully charged - you have to guess at something between 2 and 4 hours and that'll be even more guesswork if it's already partially charged.
The neck strap that comes with it is ok for normal use but no good for vigorous exercise - you really need to invest in an arm band (£19 - yes really !) and also an all-weather cover (another £19 !) to keep weather and sweat out of it - it doesn't like any kind of moisture and starts behaving badly if it gets exposed. If you use the neck band you have to take off the USB protector cap so be careful you don't lose it while it's off.
The headphones that come with it are the standard white ipod ear pieces and while this is not a citicism of the shuffle itself, if you really want the most out of it in terms of sound quality, you need to invest in a much better set (I use Shure EC2's)
If I hadn't particularly bought this for exercise usage and if I didn't already own a bigger ipod, I'd probably give it 5 stars. It dropped a star because it's partly been designed with a view to all-round practicality but falls a little short in the exercise domain unless you spend another £38 on accessories which I feel it should have come with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money but flawed, 8 Nov 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
The device hasn't worked perfectly though.I'm using it with an ibook G4 and sometimes it fails to update and disconnect or when in storage mode, it refuses to "eject" from the computer. It has also stopped working several times, forcing me to reset to factory settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shuffle, 30 April 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
I am a new customer to MP3 players, although my husband has an i-pod.I saw no need for 1,000 songs for me, so when I saw the Shuffle I thought it would be ideal for me to use at the gym etc..I have not been disappointed.Using i-tunes is easy even for a novice like me and the shuffle is so light and easy,I am amazed.The audio quality is great too and I have now purchased a re chargeable adapter so I can take it on a long haul holiday fight and won't be without it when I am away. It's simple and good fun so just buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device!, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
Got this given as a pressie so not sure if that makes you feel more or less "loyal" to a product or whether it affects your expectations but thought I would mention it up front.
This device is the business for 2 key reasons. Firstly it is tiny. Either on the lanyard or in your pocket or hand. You do not feel that "heavy pocket thing" with this device. Secondly it is so easy to manage the music on there - I guess because of iTunes if you are Windows or Mac use but not solely as I mostly use Linux to manage the device and that works great too.
Does it need a screen? This really depends on what you want from your music machine. If you want ALL your music on there - the 1000 songs scenario or even the 240 songs offered by the 1gig version then I think that a screen would be better. But that does not take away the stars from this version - if that is what you want then definately go for the nano or similar.
But if, like me, you are always listening to something new for a 50 minute walk to work then you don't need a screen. I usually get a new album every fortnight or so and then listen to that plus the previous one solidly for the next two weeks. The shuffle is just perfect for this - I never use the random mode as I want to hear the whole album in the right track order.
I usually only have about 2 or 3 albums on there - they get listened to then replaced with new stuff in a few weeks.
That's only one way of using it - and it works for me perfectly. You could also just have playlists on your computer and drag then onto it every so often and do the shuffle thing - that would turn it into a radio without ads or talk. That would also work really well.
What it won't do is be it's bigger brother, the entire collection device but they are more expensive, heavier and less robust so I think you would really need to want that "entire collection" thing for you to make that choice.
Hope this helps
Jon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good when used as intended, 3 Mar 2006
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
When deciding which solid state MP3 player to get I was initially put off by some negative reports on the Shuffle. I already own an iPod which I use to store all of my music; but it is too bulky for running and tends to skip, especially when going cross country. After taking advice from friends I brought the 512MB Shuffle.
It worked straight out of the box – synchronising easily with iTunes, which allows you to drag-and-drop and set the order of the play list (you don’t have to shuffle). Battery life is good and it is simple to use.
If you are looking for your first MP3 player or something to keep you entertained on the way to work, then go for a player with a larger capacity and a screen. But for pounding the streets Shuffle is more than adequate. For £50 it is not the cheapest on the market but it is certainly not the most expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value MP3 player, 1 Feb 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
This is the first MP3 player, and first Apple product, I've owned and I'm very happy with. Bought it 2 weeks ago, and it's travelled with me everywhere; at 22g it couldn't really be lighter, you don't notice it in your pocket at all.
Uploading songs to the iPod using the bundled iTunes is a piece of cake, as was transferring my music collection to my PC using the same software.
I've seen reviewers elsewhere criticizing this player for the lack of screen - I think they're missing the point. Where else can you get a 512Mb player for such a good price? It's designed for people who aren't fussed about picking exactly what tune they want, but are just happy to go with the flow. If you're tired of the selection, just hook it up to the computer when you get home, and iTunes Autofill function lets you refill the device with a new random selection in just a few minutes. Perfect.
If, like I was, you've been thinking for ages about getting an MP3 player, then this is a good place to start. And if you find you want the extra functionality of the screen and more storage space you can always upgrade later. This is a great entry-level product, and what's more, at this price it's from a manufacturer you've heard of!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 April 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
I read a review that said you can only download 100 songs...no!
Mine holds like 200 and thats about 7 hours of music!! AND the whole point of the iShuffle is random mixes of your tunes. I love it...I update mine everyday and sit back and enjoy an ecclectic mix of great music.
I especially enjoy it when a song I have'nt played for a while comes up and reminds me how much I like it. I had an iPod and this is far superior in size and wearability. Price, style and function are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says it will, very well., 5 Mar 2006
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A] (Electronics)
I had read the negative reviews but at this price I could not resist, I have an IPOD Mini but when undertaking exercise such as running and cycling or when driving I find the user interface of normal IPODs too complicated, requiring a few seconds of complete concentration which I normally cannot give. The very simple user interface is great on the shuffle and I generally use with a set playlist.
The best bits for me are the light weight and the sound quality, which in my opinion is better than that of my IPOD Mini. Some people have complained about the lack of charger, but I use my laptop every day, so for me this is not an issue. All in, at £50, a five star product.

Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A]