4.0 out of 5 stars When brown was the new black
Published on 9 Mar 2005 by MORTEN AASTAD

After enjoying very much the first and second seasons of Starsky & Hutch I decided to go for the third.

However, I felt a bit disappointed as soon as I started watching the very first episode and felt increasingly thwarted in hope after viewing almost every additional one.

Published on 6 Jun 2011 by Hypatia Puigreig

4.0 out of 5 stars When brown was the new black, 9 Mar 2005
MORTEN AASTAD (Oslo Norway) - See all my reviews
Starsky & Hutch will always hold a special place in the history of me. Back in the 1970's I lived a fairly straight forward kiddie life in one of the safest and then whitest countries on the planet, Norway. I'm not entirely sure when Starsky & hutch ran over here, if it was on Norwegian or Swedish tv, or both. But I must have been around 7 or 8 when I first watched it. It was the first cop show I can remember really. Sure, we did have lots of detective shows on Norwegian tv, friday nights are still legendary as 'detektimen' night. There were german detective 'Derrick', Charlies Angels, british quality stuff and loads of other american shows like Barney Miller, Kojack, Columbo and so on. But Starsky & Hutch stuck in mind. Why ? Probably the car for one, the fact that these guys seemed like such good buddies. Here were a friendship you hoped you would have when you grew up I suppose. And there was action and scary dudes and it was brown and grimey, just like the 70's themselves.
Seeing Starsky & hutch back on dvd over the past year or so has been a joy (the movie wasn't such a big joy, I didn't like the way they chose to turn the characters around and rappers should in my mind stay away from, well, everything). These guys are so likeable, the car is so retro cool and Huggy bear is actualy kind of a sweet guy (and not a spaced out weed head like Snoop, whatever the name is this week, is), I've run through the episode like i was adicted, and I've seen them all again all over again after that. And since I like a lot of music from the time period and a lot of my favorite movies were made back then, it fits into my... well, like Rob said in High Fidelity, it's my personal fettish.
The third season is a bit more drama, a bit more characters and toned down action. This was not because ratings were failing, but because a lot of conserned parents and busy bodies in the late 70's thought shows like this spawned violent behaviour in children and so on (what they would have done if they saw todays the Shield i don't know, probably have a stroke). So the third season might seem a little on the lackluster side compared to the previous two, but the humour is still good, and the guys, allthough a bit more serious and sad at times, are still the only Starsky & Hutch you'll ever need.

2.0 out of 5 stars Considerable decrease in quality of both scripts and direction in this third season, 6 Jun 2011

Most scripts -and I am comparing to nothing else than just seasons 1 and 2 of Starsky & Hutch- are blatantly inauthentic and lack of consistence and wittiness.

One of the episodes - sorry, I cannot recall which one of them- uses a big deal of footage previously used in an earlier episode, showing how producers started to lose respect for viewers. And nope, I am not talking of "Previous", a flashback episode in which Hutch recounts some stories of other episodes (this is not the worse one of this set.)

I ignore how good could be the fourth season but I am pleased about not having bought the complete set that included it. Enough is enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to my memory of the show, 21 July 2011
Maru (Swindon, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
I was crazy about this show when it first came out but watching the first few episodes of this set has me wondering why. I had forgotten how much worse the season three scripts were compared with seasons 1 and 2. The season three opener, set on the mythical Voodoo Island, is appalling. And the theme music is a travesty compared to Lalo Shifrin's original score.

It's probably best to keep fond memories of the shows you grew up with as just that: memories. Most disappoint on some level when revisited years later, this one more than most although, it has to be said, not as much as The Man From UNCLE. At least the sets don't wobble in S&H. Something that surprised me was that David Soul wasn't nearly as good looking as I remembered. Pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars starsky and hutch, 14 Mar 2011
this is one of my favourite shows ever and its still as good as it was when i was about 9/io david and paul are both great actors and the action is great buy it you won,t be diserpointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Starsky & Hutch Series 3, 23 April 2010
Great to rewatch this comical duo at their best. The only problem i found was you had to have the volume really loud probably because it is so dated. But well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starky and Hutch - Too nice, 16 Nov 2009
Eros Beretta - See all my reviews
I love them since I was a child, this is a beautiful box set for.

Five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent buy!, 18 Jan 2014
I bought this as i remember the series when i was younger. When i watch it now it still has all the great action and stories i remember. The acting is still as good today as it was then. Im glad i purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars STARSKY AND HUTCH., 9 Oct 2013
Diane Tate "70S MAN" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Fantastic, and superb memories i loved the 70s!!! just waitng for the postie to drop in the 4th season !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 13 Mar 2013
A FANTASIC BOX SET, TAKES YOU BACK TO 1970S ,I LOVED THIS FIRST TIME AROUND AND THIS BOX SET DOES NOT DISAPOINT. I LOVE IT

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Cheesy, 19 Mar 2011
Mr. D. Jenner - See all my reviews
Too 'cheesy'- the script writers went overboard to send out a powerful message to their audiences, namely that Starsky and Hutch are two 'straight' guys. Their antics seem stilted, out-of-place and in one instance, ridiculously far-fetched in this respect. All that was needed was just a slight change to the opening cast and theme tune before the start of each eppisode and less evidence of their strong friendship, as they go about their business. Instead, we got this - not good - give it a miss and buy series 1 & 2 instead!

Starsky & Hutch: Complete Third Season [DVD] [1976] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Used & New from: 45.94