5.0 out of 5 stars Still crazy after all these years - a treat for new kids
Created, written and performed by comedians Graeme Garden, Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke-Taylor, 'The Goodies' was a very zany hit British BBC comedy that ran for nine seasons until 1981. In the show the trio set themselves up as an agency for hire and call themselves 'The Goodies' (as they were supposedly the good guys), with the motto `We do anything, anytime'.

I...
Published on 22 May 2006 by Keith_Joseph

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated and not funny
I laughed a lot when the Goodies first appeared, but viewing them again many years later, one feels how dated they are, and I was disappointed; some humour doesn't age well, and his hasn't in my opinion.
Published 15 months ago by GeorgeCRayner

5.0 out of 5 stars Still crazy after all these years - a treat for new kids, 22 May 2006
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)

I bought this set for my daughter (11) after she fell in love with the DVD 'The Goodies at last'. She is also very very taken with the eight episodes here on these two DVDs : Radio Goodies, Come Dancing, The Movies, South Africa, Bunfight at the OK Tearooms, The end, Scoutrageous, and Punky business (first 2 from 1970/1, 4 from 1975 & last 2 from to 1977 respectively - the later ones have guest stars). This DVD set comes with an extremely detailed 28 page booklet discussing the episodes, plus the Crackerjack clip, the Goodies instant 5 minute Christmas, The Gymnasium clip, 'The Goodies in conversation' [radio clip, about Montreux], a pdf of scripts/drafts for the episodes here, and a 'Restoration featurette'. I told my daughter that seventy-four Goodies episodes were actually made. Her comment after viewing the few here throughout the weekend was 'Why don't they release all the episodes on DVD, anyone would be stupid not to buy them'. She likens the Goodies to the single 'Monkees' NTSC DVD she has that she also likes (Monkees, our favourite episodes). These BBC Goodies DVD sets have English audio and English subtitles [no other languages].

During their BBC years The Goodies twice won the Silver Rose of Montreux and conspiracy theories abound on why none of 'The Goodies' hit episodes were ever re-run by the BBC. I don't actually find the Goodies that dated, as well as a lot of clever 'panto' slapstick, they had a sharp script, lots of boyish enthusiasm and a pretty unique visual style, although naturally some aspects are very period like the cars and BBC presenters (and the biting 'South Africa' skit on Aparthiet - although my kids seemed to know all about it and the lady who wouldn't give up her seat on the bus). To quote TVTome: "Using a unique blend of sketch comedy, slapstick and almost cartoon-like humour the show was often outrageously madcap, and only rarely failed to hit the mark". The only programmes that came near to it in concept were probably the earlier cult 1960s kid's TV 'Do not adjust your set' sketches [that featured many of the Monty Python team] and radio shows such as 'I'm sorry I'll read that again' [that starred John Cleese and the Goodies cast] - although the recent 'My parents are aliens' has a similar witty nutty style. The Goodies slapstick style has little in common with the more cerebral Monty Python, and The Goodies jokes and visual gags are probably more accessable to a non-UK audience.

You can buy all three BBC series Goodies twin DVD sets as the new '40th Anniversary' Goodies set, which has the same six DVD's as the Goodies 'at last', 'second helping' and 'back for more again' twin sets, and it includes the Goodies 'Complete LWT Series' set as well, that's also a hit in our household - this was the final Goodies season [from 1981] although only one of the two LWT DVDs in the set is actually Goodies episodes. As I write my son (10) is now sitting down with her in her bedroom laughing at the Goodies antics. My daughter says she even prefers this DVD set to The Goodies at Last. My son thinks the Goodies are 'very funny and stupid'. They obviously really go for the childish humour and visual gags, as my family and I did 30 years ago. So great value laughs for the kids, and highly recommended. Now mum and dad are looking forward to watching them again - goody goody yum yum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great collection of episodes & bonus features, 7 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
This second collection from "The Goodies" includes the digitally restored episodes "Radio Goodies" (with "A Walk in the Black Forest"), "Come Dancing" (aka "Wicked Waltzing"), "Movies", "South Africa", "Bunfight at the OK Tea Rooms", "The End", "Scoutrageous", and "Punky Business".
There will be audio commentaries on three episodes as well as a booklet written by Andrew Pixley featuring information about the episodes.
Extras include:
* "The Goodies 5 Minute Christmas" segment from "Christmas Night with the Stars"
* The Goodies performance of "A Man's Best Friend is his Duck" from "Crackerjack"
and
* the gymnasium sequence from "A Collection of Goodies"
Lots of fan favourites on this release makes it a highly recommended title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 29 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
When's volume 3 coming out then? Like many others, I cannot wait. I loved the Goodies when I was young, and it was surely the only program that I remember literally doubling up with (especially the Watership Down "tribute"!).
This set is excellent, although the Ballroom Dancing episode is, as is warned, not the best visual quality, but I'm glad it's there nonetheless. However, I do feel that perhaps for non-Goody afficianados a better episode might have been chosen. But take nothing away, this is fun, fun, fun all the way.
Is it dated? Who cares, it's still streets ahead of anything on TV at the moment.
The Goodies still rule, OK?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!, 18 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
A 2nd Goodies dvd, it DOES NOT get any better than this. I first watched the Goodies as a 5 year old on ABC TV. I instanly became hooked! Over the years I have been praying for a dvd release and I was over the moon with the first Network dvd release! I think it's damn excellent that 'Network' have really put a lot of time and effort into these top quality dvd's, all episodes remastered, if the BBC themselves did it, it would have been made totally on the cheap! Only pristine quality for The Goodies!
I could go on in length about all the episodes on the dvd's, but, I wont! For the simple reason that they are ALL great! Absolute classics! 'Radio Goodies' being my all time favourite! The extras are great, some rare stuff there! But, wheres series nine?
I recommend this 2 dvd set (as well as the first) very very very highly!! I couldn't wait for the March 3rd release here in Australia, so I bought it here on Amazon uk (as I did with the first dvd release). I can't wait to see The Goodies on March 3, I have my tickets and I'm counting down the minutes!
LONG WITH THE GOODIES!

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe..., 4 July 2008
Paula Boardman (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
that I used to watch this show after school when I was 7!
I remember loving this show, but now, watching it as a 27 year old, I can't believe my parents let me watch it! Apparently Australia was the only country where The Goodies was screened (uncensored!) during children's viewing hours. I'm glad it was though!

(and it worked out cheaper and quicker to get it shipped from the UK than from a store 1 hour away. Go figure!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh goodee... more "Goodies", 13 Feb 2005
Mr. N. Morgan "Green Knight" (High Wycombe, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
Yippee! Another helping of Goodies episodes from the 1970s. Having bought the first helping last year, I am very much looking forward to playing this second collection. I think my favourite episode from this collection would be Bunfight At The OK Tearooms. I clearly remember this episode from when it was first broadcast. Among other gems, watch out for the scone pronunciation debate and the discovery of the cream mine, (No, don't ask!!) oh, and the bunfight itself of course! Since viewing the episode when it was first broadcast, I've never looked at a tomato ketchup dispenser the same way again!!
As I don't own this collection (just) yet, I can't make a lot of comment on the extras etc., but 2 things should guarantee satisfaction. 1) It is produced by Network who have done many superb releases in the past (including the first Goodies helping and all four The Sweeney series) and 2) the wacky but VERY clever and satyrical humour of all 3 Goodies (Tim Brooke-Taylor, Bill Oddie & Grahame Garden) and their scriptwriters.
A classic example of British humour at its best! Recommended! (Well I'm going to buy it anyway!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated and not funny, 30 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars GR8 deal arrived fast thankyou, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
The goodies first time iv'e seen any of there stuf since i was i kid good to revisit this gr8 2 disc dvd collection. arrived quikly & was well packaged thankyou. A1 +++

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodies Rock!, 25 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is extremely funny, and goes on for nearly three hours.
Check out 'The Movies'. My favourite bit was Bill Oddie in black and white - it made me laugh so much I fell off my chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goodies,, 30 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic stuff. Their innocent, often unique humour is dateless, dare I say priceless. A real comical buddy team that is etched in comic history. We need more of this on TV these days. Nothing better than laughing at the recidiculous - we need more of it, I say! Good on you Goodies, an O.B.E. to all, from an Australian perspective. (See you in Rockhampton, Australia, on tour in December 2005!) Can't wait.

The Goodies: At Last A Second Helping (BBC) [DVD]