5.0 out of 5 stars The Mikado
Published on 7 Sep 2008 by A. McGrath

1.0 out of 5 stars Something wrong in the state of Titipu!
This page needs editing!

Some of the reviews here are for the Brent Walker production of The Mikado (taped at Twickenham Film Studios in 1982) and other reviews are for the D'Oyly Carte version (live from Buxton Opera House 10 years later)!

Published on 16 Mar 2012 by John Wellington

1.0 out of 5 stars Something wrong in the state of Titipu!, 16 Mar 2012
John Wellington (Australia) - See all my reviews
This page needs editing!

And, to add to the confusion, there's a review of Opera Australia's The Gondoliers (live from Sydney Opera House in 1989)

?????

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mikado, 7 Sep 2008
A. McGrath - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched this version on BBC 2 in the early 1980s. As soon as it came out on VHS I bought it, since then I have watched it many times over the years. I'm very pleased that it is obtainable in DVD format. I'm amazed at the negative criticisms and wrote this, (my first review) in defence of what is, in my opinion, the best I've seen. I suppose though you can't please everyone!

The quintet in Act 2 (See How the Fates Their Gifts Allot), with Stafford Dean, Clive Revill, Ann Collins, Cynthia Buchan and William Conrad, is second to none and is my favourite of any version. The singing and acting is far more worthy I dare say of more prosperity than A or B, gave it credit. I've seen many other versions since and in my opinion it is well worth buying and if you're a G&S fan, why not give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. (Included is 27 page booklet on the Mikado).

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 4 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
This US version of the Mikado has successfully drained any trace of charm and wit from this wonderful operetta. The title role is played by William Conrad, the guy who used to play "Cannon" on the 70s TV cop show. It feels like watching a bunch of friends from work, doing an after-dinner version of the Mikado for a laugh. Only cost 5 quid, and now I know why. Don't waste your money: there are far better versions for sale here on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am baffled as to why people hate this so much, 4 Aug 2008
N. Berry - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
This Brent-Walker production of the Mikado seems to be universally hated but as a G&S devotee I really can't see why and I would go as far as to sya that it is one of the best productions I have seen. Clive Revill is a superb KoKo and as well as being an excellent Baritone sucessfully gets across the essential unpleasentness of what is essentially a sly and duplicitous character. I would also like to give a mention to Stafford Dean who is a wonderfully smug and pompous Pooh Bah and one of the very few genuine bass baritones to sing the role. The only real criticism I can make of this production (aside from the fairly cheap sets, which is hardly unique in recorded versions of G&S) is that the actor who plays the Mikado doesn't have the voice to do justice to the Mikado's song. Even on this point however it is hard to crticise as when he's not singing William Conrad makes an exellent Mikado who manages to bring a refreshing flirtatiousness to the role. Overall I would encourage people to make up their own minds on this version of the Mikado and not be put off by the negative criticism.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 22 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
This was not any good. Bad sound, bad scenery and bad singers destroy the charming operetta. I can't understand why anyone would like to publish such a disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A riot of fun, 20 July 2011
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
I've got a little list... The 1880's were a great decade for Opera. Germany had Wagner's Parsifal, Italy had Verdi's Otello and Puccini wrote his first work Edgar, France had Massenet's Esclarmonde, Delibes' Lakme and Offenbach's masterwork Les Contes d'Hoffman.

Britain had... The Mikado. And I wouldn't swap it for any of the above. The picture quality of this version is nasty VT with a magenta cast which the publisher's couldn't be bothered to clean up but all can be forgiven.

It's customary to look down upon or sneer at G&S Operetta but unwarranted. This production, with all its quirks and haminess is entirely in the spirit of Gilbert's vision I think. Conrad's Mikado is a blast (no, he can't sing, so what? it's fun and he's clearly enjoying himself) but you just have to love Katisha and Ko-Ko, especialy his "seduction" scene.

Kids today... no, sorry, young adults today will hate it and wont understand any of it. In my book that makes it very very cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars For a fiver this is worth every penny, 9 Dec 2008
ThinPaul (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
This is meant to be fun and it is! I enjoy all the principals - especially Stafford Dean as Pooh-Bah. True, Clive Revill can't sing but his Ko-Ko is acted superbly. Look at some amateur productions on YouTube and you will see this is a cut above them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the Music and Koko!, 14 April 2012
F. S. L'hoir (Irvine, CA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
I borrowed this from the library, and on the whole, I enjoyed it, because it is one of my favourite G & S Operettas.

Clive Revill, who inhabits the role of Koko like a second skin, is splendid in the role of the Lord High Executioner of Titipu. His diction is excellent (although the soundtrack is not as clear as it should be) and his split-second comic timing makes him seem an authentic Savoyard. Although their voices are up to the task, the other members of the company do not seem quite as at home in their roles, and the production seems heavy-handed without the frothy champagne quality that one expects in a top-drawer presentation.

The 'Eighties film has a curiously dated look, although the costumes and set (and clever gimmicks of Katisha's hot-air balloon and the Mikado's steam-powered train) are beautiful. The choreography seems unnecessarily busy, with actors waving the long sleeves of their kimonos wildly, and moving aimlessly back and forth and around in circles. If you want a the feel of what an actual D'Oyley Carte production was actually like, watch the delightful 1999 film of "Topsy Turvy", which depicts rehearsals and entire finished scenes of "The Mikado." (This film prompted me to pull "Topsy Turvy" off the shelf and watch it again. A delightful experience! One wishes they had filmed the entire "Mikado").

The singing is generally excellent (Conrad excepted, but he's not impossible), and the music will make you feel ridiculously happy. One can see why these comic operas were hits. Sullivan's musical nods to Giuseppe Verdi in the choral ensemble at the end of act one are delightful (one wonders whether he was sending up the style of his popular Italian contemporary), and practically every musical number is memorable. One is guaranteed to be humming "Miya sama", "The Flowers that Bloom in the Spring, Tra-La" or "Tit-Willow" for hours!

It's a shame that Acorn Media did not see fit to provide the subtitles for this largely enjoyable production, because WS Gilbert's libretto for "The Mikado" ranks among his wittiest; its Victorian notions about parliamentary politics and beauty are also surprisingly up-to-date. Unless one is thoroughly familiar with the words, they are muddled in this production. And if you don't understand "There's a fascination frantic in a ruin that's romantic, do you think that your sufficiently decayed?" with which Koko reluctantly woos Katisha, you have missed out on Gilbert's delicious wit.

And as beautiful as the melodies are, complete understanding of the Gilbert half of the team is essential for the full enjoyment of Sullivan's music.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mikado, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
A good DVD but I would prefer the Characters to be more experienced G & S actors, who posess more singing talent, instead of famous actors

5.0 out of 5 stars mikado, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Mikado [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this as I had seen it performed by an amature dramatics group 45 -50 years ago, my parents were in it. I loved this DVD, it was fun - we all had a good laugh. The quality was good and, as always with Amazon, it arrived extremely quickly.

The Mikado [DVD]
The Mikado [DVD] by Rodney Greenberg (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01