5.0 out of 5 stars Bandolier in 2005 has never been better

Published on 2 Dec 2011 by thomsonjon

5.0 out of 5 stars Bandolier in 2005 has never been better, 26 Oct 2005
Robert F. Pippan "R Pippan" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
At last the 2005 remaster of the Budgie classic 'Bandolier'. A great album in its time, but now remastered with bonus tracks (incl. the impossible to get 'Honey') plus video footage of 'Who Do You Want For Your Love'- truly amazing! Firstly the sound quality is astounding. Remastering has caused subtle things in the original mix to come forwrd in detailed magnificence - neither the vinyl copy nor the first CD issue on Repetoire showed the detail that is now available to the listener. Overall more punch, volume, clarity and detail - truly superb. Secondly the liner notes - a beautiful multi page booklet, with never seen before pics and comments on the tracks from the band. Would have minded more band comments, but any is great.Slight grumble in the print quality on the rear page - I am sure Noteworthy Productions are aware and will remedy in the next print run. Bonus live tracks from 1980 are great and never been heard before. Overall packaging is excellant. In all a 5 star release as are others in the reissue series. I am waiting with baited breath for the reissue of 'If I Were Britannia' and the later albums - that will be a corker. Buy Buy Buy!! Spread the word on this classic band and rejoice in the remaster series!! More please!! A DVD would be amazing!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Well, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
To start I would like to say I am not normally prone to writing reviews as I once did it for a living in the late seventies & also I am a huge fan of Budgie having seen them live countless times & here lies the problem. Like many bands before & after, Budgie never seemed to capture the energy of their live performances in the studio. I think Bandolier is the closest they got & disagree with the linear notes on these recent remastered re-releases that Never Turn Your Back On A friend was their crowning glory, in my personal opinion Bandolier stood head & shoulders of what had passed plus what was to come. The question that is often asked is why did this band never reached the heights of their counterparts i.e. Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc. To me the answer is very simple, Budgie fell between two stools, the mixture (on album at least) between all out rockers to soporific nonsense had always baffled me until I read an interwiew Burke Shelley gave in the Melody Maker. He dropped the bombshell that lost the band any street cred they had by proudly announcing he was not a fan of rock music & quoted his favourite music of choice as The Carpenters! In an instant all was clear, the nucleus of these core of rockers was not in love with the music he was playing, Tony Bourge (although a good riff man) was not in the league of Ritchie Blackmore & as for the drummers, it's a bit of a Spinal Tap moment, the last of which (& present possessor of the sticks) Steve Williams, although competent, would not be discussed in the same breath as John Bonham. So to the remasters,& in particularl my favourite studio album, & are they worth the extra money? Well the sleeve notes are extensive, which is a complete rarity for Budgie, but each band member seems to have a different opinion on who did what on which song so you will be none the wiser. As for the additional tracks the majority of them are laughable. I have dodgy bootlegs that sound better than some of the live tracks presented here (you even have extensive feedback thrown in for free). They say a fool & his money are easily parted so I must be a complete moron. The sound quality is no different than the original releases to my delicate ears (and yes, my hi-fi seperates cost me an absolute fortune so I am not playing it through a dodgy system) but once I had purchased a few of my favourites hoping for the best I noticed they have changed the packaging so when all the spines of the complete set are lined up it spells Budgie in the style of the Roger Dean logo, unfortunately there is no way of knowing which of the recent releases (the set of live recordings, a host of tracks not deemed fit for release the first time around, & some BBC sessions) will line up correctly to spell Budgie to impress your friends, or perhaps I have OCD.
My advice, for what it's worth, is if you have decent copies of the original CD's save your money (one of the remasters has three versions of the same song - the original, a single remix which just fades out as opposed to the original, & a rough rehearsal with new guitarist Steve Lees recorded in some dodgy mobile facility). I hate to say it but I am utterly disappointed with my old Welsh rockers, even more disappointed than I was with their 2006 new album, but I have heard they are still good live ... isn't that where I came in ;-)
Keep it real & keep it live ... stay safe out there & thanks for reading my inane ramblings ... if you didn't read them then you aren't seeing this ... maybe the reviewing bug is coming back after almost a 30 year absence ... later perhaps if your luck is bad & I hope the advice was helpful, it was definitely heartfelt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Budgie LP in existence, 28 Jun 2006
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
I brought the vinyl Bandolier in 1975 when I was 13 years of age and saw them live in 1978. I have always been a Sabbath fan (since the age of 9)but Budgie were always my second band. They never made it big although why is a sin. Bandolier has my favourite all time budgie track "Breaking all the House Rules" which typifies the Budgie sound. This has the classic "Napolian Bona Part 1 and 2" and the funky "Who do you want for your love" all classics. One of the best British records ever made, the best thing ever to come out of Wales. If you have not heard of Budgie before and you want to try them out, this is the LP you want. Great to see it on CD with a very good mix of the original vinyl. Definately worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feelgood music times ten!, 27 Aug 2008
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
I went to see Status Quo at Cardiff Castle way back in 1976 as a naive youngster totally besotted with the above mentioned. It was a one day festival featuring bands such as Hawkwind, The Strawbs, Curved Air, The headlining Quo and the opening act of the day Budgie.
It was a red hot blue sky day, the atmosphere just wonderful and then this band came on stage, didn't speak initially, just went into the opening track on this album 'Breaking all the house rules'. My jaw dropped, Burke Shelly (who I'd never heard of at that time) belting out the lyrics backed by his own faultless bass riffs which formed the backdrop of the whole idea complimented by Tony Bourge' brilliant lead breaks with Steve Williams kicking the other two up the arse with solid rock drumming. It was awesome. The naive youngster was now not quite so, the eyes opened by this fantastic sound that belted out across the castles surroundings. I fell in love with Budgie that instant and I honestly can't believe the lack of reviews on this album hence why I'm writing this one. Breaking all the house rules has stayed with me all my life and still sounds as fresh as that first time I heard it at Cardiff Castle in 1976. For me the finest rock track ever! The rest of the album is likewise. I clearly remember Burke saying "some people ask me why I wear glasses, It's because I can't see my feelings!" another absolutley grinding bass rock track as is 'Who do you want for your love'.I suppose the whole climax comes with 'Napoleon Bona Parts one & two at the end of the album which is absolute blazing rock! Honest this is an album that I have probably bought on vinyl several times before acquiring the CD because I wore it out time and time again. Bandolier is just quite simply a brilliant rock album, probably the best (my opinion) in terms of good honest hard working musicians who show backbone and determination! A1 plus

5.0 out of 5 stars Budgie - Band of the Year, 24 May 2007
K. Phillips "A Dream Spider" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
Bandolier was the first Budgie I ever heard back in....er...1976 I think. Fantastic or, as they say in Bristol "Gert lush". Now remastered, it sounds even better as the other reviewers would confirm.

Just 6 tracks came with the original LP and 4 of 'em are CLASSICS! This has got to be Budgies most consistent LP ever and worth buying for "Napoleon Bona..." alone. The riffs are simple but oh-so-good with an overall clarity not achieved by previous albums.

This is my favourite Budgie title of all. So much so, that I've owned it on vinyl and twice on CD!

Sometimes likened to Black Sabbath, other times as as soft as baby kitten.

Wales' only true rock ambassador and I'm really pleased that Burke and Steve is doing it all over again.

Now, if only they could get Tony back............

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice music, shame about the name., 4 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
If Nigel Lythgoe had been around in the 1970's, wanting to form a progressive rock band, he wouldn't have chosen the name "Budgie". So just why did these boys from the South Walian valleys stick with it and essentially shoot themselves in the claw for such a long time?...... That may not be a question in the Final Exam for an Oxford University Degree in Philosophy but it is nevertheless intriguing. More astonishing that they achieved considerable success amongst the trench coated rock music afficianados of the time. This they did through sheer hard work and the considerable friendliness they showed to the people who attended their numerous concerts during that decade. You could always be assured if you saw them live that they wouldn't play the spoilt Rock primadonnas who were all too common at the time. What you got was exactly what it said on the label. Good honest working class metal with great hum-along melodies and fantastic guitar sounds from Tony Bourge. Also a word for Burke Shelley the vocalsit who I rated as one of the best bassists of the time.Bandolier was released in 1975 and I can clearly remember that music like this was listened to by a wide social spectrum back then and wasn't the niche/memorabilia article it is now. Best tracks are Breaking all the House Rules, I can't see my Feelings and I ain't no Mountain, with writing credits to Andy Fairweather-Low who ranks as having one of the best all-time double barrell names in rock history. That aside, these tunes posess so much intrinsic quality as they pulse along with great Welsh rriffs from Tony Bourge's guitar and pleading, yearning vocals from.....er....Burke. Okay, so PR wasn't their strong point, however to any sceptics out there, you'll be hard pressed to find more hummable, tuneful songs than these. These Welsh rock wizards may not have been Popstars of their day,they were probably just a few blokes who got together and played because they loved music, but as usual with product from this era there are many undiscovered songwriting gems waiting for you to discover.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Overlooked Gem, 16 Nov 2009
B. Strong "barrie279" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
An album that collates everything wonderful by this under-rated band. Budgie moved away from the heavy sludge fest of previous albums for a more refined and polished style. However the trick here was that they still retained their musical penchant which was to develop riffs within riffs but seemd to adopt a more groove-laden style.
Every track is an absolute gem and is arguably their finest release.

Having listened to rock music for 30 + years i still rate this as an all time favourite and cannot recommend it highly enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
Forget the age - this is a real classic. I had the original LP but couldn't fint it on i-tunes. Not cheap to buy but worth it. I have been listening to it for the last four days ! Budgie play stripped down hard rock - as you would expect from a three piece band, but still manage to create a full sound. Not over produced with multiple over dubs like some bands but kept simple the way it should be. Get it now !

5.0 out of 5 stars BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
We used to listen to this album back in the early eighties in my friends parents front room. As time marched on I forgot all about it until I heard Napoleon Bonapart in a rock night club some years back. After much searching and asking around I remembered the band and finally bought it. BRILLIANT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet of the Budgies, 31 Mar 2013
A. J. Harknett (london,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bandolier (Audio CD)
Budgie fans will already own this on vinyl and like me worn the records out by now as this is one of thier best albums along with In For The Kill and the self titled album Budgie. Never seen them live unfortunatly but one of Britains underated rock gems. All three albums are a must buy for anyone who likes rock/progresive music ,best Welsh band ever but try another Welsh band called Man.

Bandolier
Bandolier by Budgie (Audio CD - 2005)