1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Tenderly illegal, 19 July 2005
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Illegal Tender (Audio CD)
The sunny city of San Diego has recently spat out the darkest, sexiest band ever to smack of Marc Bolan. After getting some press in the UK, and having their lead single played in California, Louis XIV finally got signed onto a label. And as a prelude to their full-length debut, Louis XIV, a few songs were released on the "Illegal Tender" EP -- fun, sexy and very arrogant.

There's nothing innovative or deep about this brand of rock'n'roll. It's about sex and girls, as rock so often is, and set to catchy, gritty rhythms. No pretenses of depth. And their brand of garage-rock sounds a lot like Marc Bolan, Velvet Underground and the Stooges. Well, no matter. Despite being named for the famously arrogant Sun King, these guys are remarkably free of pretensions -- they're making rock, and that's all there.

There's quite a bit of swagger as well. "I'm a weapon of mass destruction!" the title song begins, before the announcement that his girlfriend thinks that "me me me me" is all he thinks or talks about. Spiky, panting catchiness stick in with the following songs, making them seem a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Jason Hill sometimes sounds like he's singing through a radio, which is a bit distracting at first. In "Finding Out True Love is Blind," he sounds more natural, especially when interplaying with a sultry female vocalist. "Wind me up, and make me crawl to you/tie me up, and make me call to you," she croons, right before switching roles, and telling him to crawl and call to her.

As overhyped bands duke it out to see who is the best new retrogarage band, Louis XIV quietly gives them a run for their money. Great fun.

Illegal Tender
Illegal Tender by Louis XIV (Audio CD - 2005)