5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, Hilarious Comedy, Brilliant Staging
Published on 1 Jun 2010 by C. D. Chapra

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame
This was clearly an impessive production with great singers and orchestra completely spoilt by dreadful video direction. Virtually nothing is seen of the magnificent set and the singers are only seen from the waist up. The MET is capable of much better than this. I have recently watched La Somabula from there which was terrific.
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by Geoffrey Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, Hilarious Comedy, Brilliant Staging, 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Barber Of Seville: Metropolitan Opera (Weikert) [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Before I had the money to attend Operas, I watched several dozen different productions on VHS. For the past few years, I have been deciding which ones I want on DVD. When I saw that this Metropolitan Opera production, featuring the volatile but brilliant Kathleen Battle was finally being released on DVD, memories of my first viewing, almost twenty years ago, came flooding back.
1) Ralf Weikert's conducting is my favorite; this includes several recordings and a Metropolitan Opera production my wife and I attended on October 2009.
2) Kathleen Battle may be physically attractive but, her voice enormously eclipses her looks. She is irresistible to listen to and handles comic acting much better than most singers.
3) Leo Nucci is, for me, the definitive Figaro. His voice is crystal clear, his acting superb and conveys an ethereal puppeteer like quality, as his fine and broad strokes influence all of the action.
4) Enzo Dara's Doctor Bartolo is a performance for the ages. Threatening one moment, sidesplittingly hilarious the next, when he takes the stage, you can't take your eyes off of him.
I don't want to beat the issue to death so, suffice it to say, everyone else, from Blake's Almaviva to di Franco's Berta are wonderful. The set must be seen to be believed. The DVD transfer is very good, although slightly betraying its VHS roots.
Great comic operas should be performed with the sole purpose of making the audience laugh. Too much reverence for the music or the roles, can create very stilted productions. No chance of that here. Order it and enjoy! It's funnier than most of the comedic films being made these days!

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 22 Aug 2011
Geoffrey Butcher (London) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 2 Mar 2013
Pure state of art!... You need to buy this DVD as soon as possible. Very good quality and beautiful sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars OPERA TREASURE, 25 Jan 2013
This is without doubt the finest opera recording I have ever encountered. The singing, acting, conducting and choreography all combine to make this disc a triumph. The famous cast move seamlessly from scene to scene as the giant revolving New York Metropolitan stage magically turns before our very eyes from the open town square of Seville to the interior of Dr Bartolo's huge house.

Add the finest technical recording quality available today, and you have a DVD to be treasured. As the performance enfolded I cried with sheer joy at this glittering array of musical and visual delights, in which over a hundred years of recording advances are stored. It is a precious heritage from the twentieth century.
DON'T MISS IT !