5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute stunner
I suppose I should try and be controlled when writing this, but Mysterious production is an album about which I feel slightly compelled to gush. It's an incredibly cohesive effort, which grabs you on almost every level (quite possibly tentaively at first, with one or two songs, then brings you in tight).

To compartmentalise, his layered songs are musically...
Published on 10 Dec. 2006 by C. Mccartney

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
It'sok
Published 7 months ago by p.mawdsley|

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute stunner, 10 Dec. 2006
C. Mccartney (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs (Audio CD)

To compartmentalise, his layered songs are musically sound, catchy, and interesting. Playing nearly everything himself he mixes loops of virtuoso violin, whistling, singing, guitar, glockenspiel, and on, and on. To create complex layered melodies which are just a joy to listen to.

Lyrically, he's great. They're weird, but then they make sense in a weird way. Obviously Mr Bird is one of those men utterly in love with the english language, and that's alright by me. If he wants to glibly fit in eight rhymes to the word "formaldahyde" on the trot into a song then be my guest. Tables and Chairs clocks in as my favourite for Birds' lyrics, as he reassures the audience that we shouldn't worry about global warming, because we can all meet in the ruined remains of our great cities when the world ends and have a picnic. Well, ya know.

If that's too weird for you, just ignore the lyrics and love the songs. Because you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 10, 18 July 2007
C. de Pavilly "CdP" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs (Audio CD)
And I almost NEVER give any album 10 out of 10.
I came late to Mr Bird's music but found myself addicted to this album for months (had to play it at least once a day) and still play it often.
From the sheer beauty of Sovay to the mournful Happy Birthday, I am mesmerised: every listen brings something new and I can't even choose a favourite track.
If you like your lyrics intelligent without being pretentious, your instruments live and varied, and your harmonies ranging from pure to madrigal, you are bound to like this.
I love it, with a passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute stunner., 6 Feb. 2007
C. Mccartney (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird's Woundrous Eggs, 16 Feb. 2005
Juan Mobili (Valley Cottage, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs (Audio CD)
One caution must be shared with those expecting Bird's return to the traditional Hot Jazz of his early days with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, this album may turn out disappointing for them. Not because it lack remarkable merit but because Bird's eggs are in search of new baskets, if you pardon the obvious pun.
As he began to prove, partially in Swimming Hour and even more so in Weather Systems, Andrew Bird has a lot more to say and more genres to explore and enrich. As good as his early work is, The Mysterious Production of Eggs, although a departure, is a remarkable work. Mature, daring, yet far from the half-baked albums you may be used to expect when an artist dares to experiments with a winning formula.
The best way to describe the new output is that it reveals a more tender and brooding musical vision than past recordings, although not devoid of sharp edges. Songs like "Tables and Chairs" and "Measuring Cups" are good examples of this, where the strings remain exquisite, or the lyrics distill a quiet sarcasm ("RX Missiles") yet their melodies visit new territories.
From the whispered Folk of "Sovay" to the Badly Drawn Boy-like Pop of "Opposite Day," Bird pushes the envelope of what he's done before. Actually, a comparison with Damon Gough seems fitting here. Although I would not claim that their songs will remind you of one another's, I was struck by a similar willingness they both show for not resting on their musical laurels.
Whether you have not heard this man or you mourn that recent albums are not what you used to enjoy, this is an excellent album by an artist who takes chances and follows his heart ... as any real artist would. Think of it as one the early jewels of 2005.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew Bird flies high, 17 Jun. 2009
This review is from: And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs (Audio CD)
A master of string instruments Andrew Bird is an amazing musician and fun with it.
He builds up layers of sound using violin, guitar, clapping and various other instruments to create melodies which fit well with his lyrics. I know, it sounds quirky but honestly this cd is fantastic. At times he can sound folky and others he is very modern and as you can see I really don't want to label him.
All said this is a very accessible record from a hidden American treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than good, 17 July 2006
Euan Matheson "euanrut" (Glasgow UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs (Audio CD)
I don't do reviews but this deserves one. Fine album; quite close to genius!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 10 Nov. 2014
It'sok

And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs
And The Mysterious Production Of Eggs by Andrew Bird (Audio CD - 2005)