4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Gadget for Cool Ice Cream
Published on 9 Jun 2006 by Kerry

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing... but hang on a minute...
Published on 12 Jun 2007 by Emma Parry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Gadget for Cool Ice Cream, 9 Jun 2006
Kerry (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenwood IM250 Ice Cream and Dessert Maker, 1 Litre (White) (Kitchen & Home)
This machine is quite compact and although a little noiser than I thought it would be, it is on for such a short time that the noise doesn't really matter. It is easy to use and presents no major problems other than the bowl having to be pre-frozen for a long time. It makes small quantities of really good ice cream/sorbet but as these are best eaten quickly, again this is not a major problem (a spare bowl would come in handy). It represents excellent value for money and I would recommend this product to the ice cream lovers out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 24 Oct 2006
Ms. A. Light "AL" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my children so that they could have fun making their own homemade icecream. I am very impressed with this product - simple to use and makes about 1ltr delicious icecream or sorbet in very little time. We've had great fun experimenting with different flavours. You do need room in the freezer for the bowl so that it's frozen and ready to use.

There was a delay in delivery but it was worth waiting for and a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fun to use, 9 Jun 2006
very easy to make icecream just make your mixture and add it in. easy to wash rinse teh base.

the only downside is that you must freeze the base overnight, otherwise it wont freeze icecream.

delicious ice cream all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Ice Cream, 16 May 2008
Purchased this ice cream maker on a whim, had seen one used on a TV programme. Read the Amazon reviews and decided on the litre size and ordered one. Ordered and delivered and used within less than a week. I have rushed from my first attempt at Vanilla ice cream and am so impressed have had to write my review. The amount of mixture seemed very small in the preparation stages, but by the time it has churned it had doubled in size. Will now not be buying anymore shop bought ice cream and already in overtime thinking of the many varities of ice cream I will be making. The cost of making the ice cream was minimal, the most expensive item was the vanilla pods (I used a third of a pod instead of a half), good essence could be used instead. Follow the instructions carefully. This is a great a buy, I'm delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow it works!, 26 Jun 2006
I ordered one of these last Wednesday it arrived Friday ate my own HOMEMADE frozen yogurt on Saturday and Sunday. Very easy to follow instructions made my frozen yogurt in about 12 mins. I'm just about to order another one for my Mother as they are that good. I can't fault the service of Amazon Or the product 100% pleased. Buy it NOW before they all go.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing... but hang on a minute..., 12 Jun 2007
Emma Parry (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Below is my original review and since then I've been using the ice cream maker quite a bit (every other day in fact). I have a freezer full of the most wonderful homemade ice cream, including, raspberry, strawberry, maple and walnut, chocolate (esp. yummy!), mocha, coffee, oh yes, and good old vanilla. I'm going to take an ice cream making holiday in the next week (but I'm not going to stop eating it!). Yes, it didn't quite live up to expectations, but it's more than adequate if you want everyday homemade ice cream. Please be aware of its shortcomings, however, as outlined below....

"I bought this thinking I'd be able to make about a litre of ice cream everyday (I love ice cream very very much!) but was disappointed to learn that it doesn't actually make that quantity - but really only half a litre. That's because it needs space in the bowl to churn and most recipes contain 1 egg per half litre - you try putting one and a half eggs into something.

Also the bowl has to be frozen for AT LEAST 24 HOURS and not just 12 hours as the blurb on the website said. That means that once it's reached room temperature to clean (as it says on the instructions) and then goes back in the freezer, you're be looking at making just half a litre every other day. Who's got room in their freezer for two bowls? Not me. Also I had to turn my freezer down to -20 (from -18) to get it to be cold enough.

Even with all that, 30 minutes churning and it was still more like thick ice cream soup than 'soft scoopable ice cream'. I've had to put all the ice cream I've made in the freezer to firm up which means I can't eat it straight away.

That said, I've made some delicious ice cream (I bought the Ben and Jerry's ice cream book - which is a must if you want to play with ice cream), but I would recommend people to save up for a self-freezing ice cream maker..."

5.0 out of 5 stars great product and simple to use., 28 Jun 2007
Ali (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
In a nutshell, this is very, very easy to use and I love it. I bought it to get fruit into my fruitaphobe kiddies. Only regret, I didn't buy it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 12 Feb 2008
Mr. J. G. Kelwick "JGK" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I was shocked how good it was, Simple to use, hardly any work involved and the result is as good as leading brand icecream. A must buy

5.0 out of 5 stars simple to use, 11 May 2008
Mr. Glyn Sloman (UK) - See all my reviews
simple to use - great for frozen yoghurt - does what it says on the tin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant icecream every time, 28 July 2009
This maker is really simple to use, makes delicious icecream in 20 to 30mins and is easy to clean. You can see the icecream as it is being made so you can stop the machine at your desired consistency or add choc chips, nuts, fruit, marshmallows, choc sauce, whatever you fancy, 2mins before the icecream is ready. Highly recommend Ben & Jerry's icecream recipe book with this product.

Only possible downsides to be aware of with this maker are:
a)
It's 1 litre in size, but it will only make about a pint (US pint = less than half a litre) of icecream at a time. The maker needs that bit of extra room to churn the mixture. I have found out the more room you leave the better! Invest in a larger maker if you want to serve more than 4 people at a time, or make the icecream in 1pint batches in advance. I prefer this smaller model as I know no matter how large the batch my family will eat it all when its made, so the smaller batch is better for the waistline!

b)
If you prefer hard icecream -- when the maker is ready transfer the mix to another bowl to freeze it further. When the maker is finished it is just at the dangerous "eat me now" phase! I prefer it at this stage but maybe others wouldn't

c)
The bowl needs to be frozen for at least 24hrs in advance. This is a pain if you want icecream right away. I've taken to storing the bowl in the chest freezer permanently, but some small home freezers wouldn't have this option. In order to clean the bowl properly one should defrost it fully and wash it out before refreezing. This wastes a lot of time and energy, I'd recommend cleaning the bowl out with a soft plastic spatula to remove icecream traces and a quick wipe of a clean warm damp cloth before replacing in the freezer.

Enjoy!