5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on a KitchenAid, buy this instead
Like many other reviewers I longed for a KitchenAid but couldn't possibly justify the expense. My husband bought me this as a Christmas present and how glad am I that he did. In fact I recently had a cookery lesson with a celebrity chef who brought his KitchenAid along - we compared the two and we both preferred the Kenwood. Here's why.

1. The motor on the...
Published on 21 April 2009 by Forester

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
Published on 23 Aug 2010 by Rosy Egg

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Patissier Mixer, 4 Feb 2009
Mrs. L. J. Martin (Muirkirk,Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenwood Patissier MX275 Mixer, 4 Litre, 400W (Cream) (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this mixer to be honest as it was very reasonably priced in comparison to its rivals ie, Kitchenaid and I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good it is, I make bread almost everyday and my Magimix Professional 4200 Blenber could not cope with the dough and twice I had to replace the dough blades, the Kenwood on the other hand is fab and copes with any amount of dough I make, the whisks make perfect marshmallow like meringue and it mixes to perfection large quantities of cake. I would definately recommend this mixer to anyone that bakes regularly or is a serious breadmaker, well done Kenwood for a reasonably priced Gem in the world of gadgets for the Kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant....better looking than., 6 Jan 2009
Kenwood Patissier MX275 Mixer, 4 Litre, 400W (Cream)I like numerous people before me had been hankering after a Kitchenaid mixer, especially after watching Nigella using hers in her programmes. The price kept on putting me off and I had missed the boot when they were reduced....but.....whilst browsing one day came across the reviews for the Kenwood Patissier and wow wow wow...am I one pleased customer. The machine for me is better looking than the Kitchenaid, sturdidly built..powerful. Also I was lucky enough to purchase it at 97 plus a few pence.....against 300 odd for the Kitchenaid. So thank you for all the previous reviewers I have now got a great mixer at a great saving...wonder why I ever hankered after the otherone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help! Can't stop baking cakes - I'm a stone heavier...., 25 Sep 2008
I wanted a beater that could almost scrape around the inside of the bowl so you could leave it to mix all the mixture whilst you get on with other things. The Kenwood beater fits the bowl very well and when making a cake I only have to scrape the mix away from the sides and bottom of the bowl once to make sure. My friend has the Kitchenaid and the beater leaves a much bigger margin of unmixed mixture and so needs more hands on attention. This will probably only make sense to other cake making nerds like me...

5.0 out of 5 stars the mixer of choice (for me anyway), 2 Jun 2007
i was desperate to get a kitchenaid just like any chef would. but then i found the kenwood chef range which was much much more power full at 1000w. then the price held me back as well as the fact i wouldnt need such power. then i found this lovely thing, its cheaper than most mixers, its more power full than the ever alluering kitchenaid and it does look good on the work top the only problem so far is that the space on the worktop it takes up (i have very little space)

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious cakes!, 15 Dec 2007
Mrs. Cr Allen (Herne bay kent) - See all my reviews
I have loved the look of the kenwood patissier mixer since I first saw it on sale in an up market department store. Watching 'Nigella express' and seeing her using her Kitchenaid prompted me into checking out the retro kenwood on Amazon. I am SO pleased with it, its a third of the price of the Kitchenaid and just as good looking. its really chunky and beautifully made and my fairy cakes have never been as fluffy! I also bought The Magnolia bakery cookbook so am planning to make many more! Go on all you cake makers out there...treat yourself!

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 23 Aug 2010
I bought this a few years ago but I only used it mainly to make bread dough perhaps twice a month. For this you only need the lowest speed. Suddenly it now has only one speed - fast! This means that the whole kitchen is sprinkled with flour and is no use for making bread anyway as I need to add my ingredients slowly with the machine running. Also, as some others have said - it won't beat eggwhites unless there are loads in there and takes ages to cream butter and sugar and you have to keep stopping and scraping the sides. It is a beautiful-looking machine but I might just as well have bought a cheap one. Not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars For people who don't want lots of gadgets, 4 May 2013
I have an electric hand mixer and wanted to expand my range with e.g. bread and batch baking. However, I had just bought an all-singing, all-dancing food processor (another Kenwood)so I was looking for a mixer that wouldn't replicate the processor functions. I also have very little kitchen space, so the search was doubly difficult. I looked hard at the Prospero (nice and small and with the good Kenwood beaters) but was put off because I didn't want an attached blender et al. Then I found the Patissier (at Curry's - Amazon was out of stock)- problem solved. Kenwood quality but much, much simpler than other Kenwoods. It does three things only: whisks (industrial size balloon whisk), beater (same size and weight as the 'K' beater) and dough hook. The mixing bowl is stainless steel with a handle. Operation is simple: there is a push button on the side which lifts the main arm up and down. The beaters lock into a spindle. You select the speed (1-9) by pushing a switch across. That's it. It's heavy but is liftable: I keep mine tucked in a corner and have found it easy to move. The only slight disappointment is that you apparently can't dishwash the whisk. I would recommend buying a Kenwood cover to go with it. I hesitated and nearly went for a cheaper Andrew James one, but was put off by reviews saying the covers were too big. The Kenwood one is very neat and stylish (looks better than in the picture), is excellent quality, fits the Patissier like a glove and saves you having to wipe everything each time you use it. Happy baking!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great appliance, 13 Mar 2012
I've had my Patissiere for about 7 years now, it does everything I need it to do. Cakes, batters, biscuits, mashes potatoes, meringues. I actually prefer the look of the patissiere to the kitchen aid artisan or classic. Would definitely buy this model again, but don't think I'll have to do so any time soon as it it so well built it will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 2 Oct 2009
This product is brilliant. Its very robust and heavy, feels like good quality and does a great job. Its got a simple design and reminds me of the one my mum had years ago in its action. Is looks fabulous and was a great price. Now i ve just got to remember to not eat all the cakes i keep making!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sturdy, well built mixer, 29 May 2009
I missed out on this mixer when it was for 97.00 :( I managed to find it elsewhere for 109.00 inc p&p (just use your internet search function ;)). I've made several cakes so far and the mixture is excellent. It doesn't create air pockets like conventional mixers that use two whisks together, so the cake, when cooked, has a perfect solid texture throughout. It makes perfect mash too.

There will be some unmixed mixture that sticks to the sides at the highest level of mixture which isn't a problem, just do a final mix by hand at the end. This doesn't happen if you are adding fruit at the end, as it mixes it for you! If you don't use the splash guard with the feedspout you'll find that the ingrediants that didn't make it into the bowl sits on the actual mixing tool, so you have to make sure that you pour in the ingrediants as close to the edge of the bowl as possible.

This is machine is well built and sits proudly on my work surface. Definitely a good buy. Look forward to making the Christmas cake with this, as I know that it will have the power to cope with the mixture.