5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless masterpiece, 16 Mar 2010
Mr. John Shuttle (Brighton, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I first bought the vinyl french import release of this in 1972. A speculative buy after hearing Rainbow in Curved Air, probably played by Radio DJ John Peel for all that I can remember. It was an essential play for friends staying late into the night. Those dim-lit rooms, the smoke, the music.

Days, weeks, months and years pass. Careers pass. Relationships begin and end. Children grow and leave home. And the records once enjoyed consigned to storage as life takes over.

Discovered again nearly 40 years later, this work not only sounds as fresh as the day first heard, it seems to extend as much to the past and the future as it did when it was recorded.

Persian Surgery Dervishes is an unknown masterpiece. It is vital, spiritual, emotional and timeless. In these troubled times more people need to hear this. It takes the listener elsewhere; some other beautiful place. Fall into this music and let it heal. Float on the layers of rhythm and melody. Meditate. Feel joy. Feel ecstasy.

Terry: Two keyboards + Tape machine = A masterpiece

This beautiful music precedes important minimal works by artists such as Steve Reich, and predicts the era of digital sampling (Terry is using tape loops and echo techniques in these live performances)and electronica.

I so hope this recording might still reach and inspire a new audience. We need music like this more now than ever.

Performance 2 is the best of the two CDs.

Just amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance, 31 Oct 2013
Both performances are marvels of improvisation. Even more extraordinary is how different the same piece sounds. Terry Riley - THE master!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As wonderful as ever, 19 Sep 2010
Like John Shuttle (above) I too bought this on vinyl as a French import. However, I still play my original copy. I have bought many CDs as a convenient alternative to my (extensive) vinyl collection. For some reason I have not followed this route with Mr Riley, somehow the organic feel of vinyl delivers the essence of his music, whereas many of those 12" albums remain in storage (in guest room and off site) I have 'In C'; 'Rainbow in Curved Air'; 'Shri Camel'; 'Happy Ending' (music composed for the film "Les Yeux Fermes" and the title which is the subject of this review 'Persian Surgery Dervishes' to hand in my listening room. As the quality of my music reproduction gear has improved over these many years I keep returning to these albums with never diminishing pleasure; they retain the ability to feed my soul and uplift me in a way that very little other music can.

5.0 out of 5 stars two versions in one, 24 Oct 2010
C. Metcalfe (CIRENCESTER, GLOS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There are two very different versions of this work in this package - originally the 2-LPs set from Shanti in France - one fast, one low; I prefer the slower. Like the other reviewers I bought it at the time, though sadly mine 'disappeared' during my student days. I remember it was Bob Harris who played this on Sounds of the Seventies... great album, my third favourite after Rainbow and Shri Camel.

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

Persian Surgery Dervishes
Persian Surgery Dervishes by Terry Riley (Audio CD - 1980)
Click for more info