on 5 February 2012
i remember watching quatermass 40 years ago when i was a boy and being scared stiff it was great to see it again allthough of course things have moved on and being in black and white may put some people off i still think its great and would reccommmend to anybody to watch
on 16 May 2011
This set is an outstanding production for the timeframe and each series is up to fine standards. Given the original broadcast of these shows, the pace maybe a bit slow for modern viewers, but the series overall is worth viewing, especially for Doctor Who and other British sci-fi fans insofar as its a precusor to many ideas, setups and layouts of future series. My sole issue with the series is that the The Quatermass Experiment only exists as the initial 2 series for the viewer and you must rely on the booklet to fill in the rest of the story. The booklet is put together well and offers numerous insights into casting, direction, writing and the air of these original shows. I do hope, however, in the future, Hammer studios will release the color movie versions of the initial 2 series onto DVD for viewers to compare the storylines.
on 9 April 2015
More scary than I remember it, great entertainment
on 2 July 2015
Ok, so I thought I was buying the movies...... instead I bought the old tv series...... but surprisingly, I quite enjoyed them...... I would recommend them as well worth a watch........ Now...... where can I find the movies???
on 30 August 2014
So atmospheric, and clearly a source of inspiration for much television science-fiction, not least Doctor Who. Some genuinely terrifying moments; it's a pity the first series does not survive in it's entirety.
on 24 May 2010
About 25 years ago I saw a VHS copy of the six episodes of Quatermass and the Pit. In my opinion this is the best of the three Quatermass stories. I think Quatermass' main strength is the imaginative story-telling. In these days of CGI, Quatermass reminds us that a bad story remains a bad story no matter how expensive or awe-inspiring the special effects.

Buyers should be warned that in the Quatermass Experiment there are only a couple of episodes on the DVD. For whatever reason the BBC did not keep copies of this series. It is a shame since the two episodes showed potential to be as good a series as Quatermass and the Pit.

Quatermass 2 was ok but I don't think it had the imagination of the other two tales.

The quality of the recording depends on the series. The first two series appeared was recorded by placing the video recorder on the TV screen displaying the programme. Quatermass and the Pit was presented from the tape that recorded the actual broadcast and so the picture quality is much better.

JL
on 9 February 2009
I love old sci-fi. Creature from the Black Lagoon scared me when I was young, but I don't recommend it. It's not a great film. I do recommend The Quatermass Collection to anyone who enjoys the old stuff. I'm not from the UK and have no memories of Quatermass from my youth. If you like the old stuff, it's definitely worth watching.

Let me just tell you how much I think it's worth watching. After watching the old BBC series(es) on this DVD, I got all three movies, which are remakes of the BBC series(es). Now I have ordered the fourth and the 2005 remake of the first series - The Quatermass Experiment.

I put my money where my text is, so to speak.
on 15 January 2016
Christmas present for my husband, very pleased with it. He's always loved Quatermass and the Pit, remembers watching it on TV when young
on 5 November 2015
its a pity that one of the series is incomplete. However it is an enjoyable DVD and very good considering that it was made in the 1950's.
on 20 April 2016