4.0 out of 5 stars A good machine, especially for the price
Published on 30 Jan 2009 by S Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent coffee maker
Works just fine and is a decent enough coffee maker. However, I completely agree with the other reviewer in that it's seemingly impossible to get rid of the very very strong plastic smell. Luckily it doesn't cause the coffee to have an unpleasant taste, but it is an overpowering smell!
Published on 22 Jun 2008 by Nomad77

4.0 out of 5 stars A good machine, especially for the price, 30 Jan 2009
This is a very good value coffee machine. The water opening is a bit of a strange shape, and the scales do indeed not match on the jug and machine. But then again, how many markings on any coffee machine actually correspond to the exact sized mug of coffee you want anyway? I just put the right amount of mug-fulls of water into the jug, and then fill the machine from that - right amount of coffee and no spillage!

I also didn't notice any plastic smell once I'd flushed it through for the first time.

The jug-warmer and reusable filter are also definite bonuses, which you don't see on many other machines of this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Coffee Machine!, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi ICM2B 10-Cup Filter Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this as a gift for mothers day and I was asked to set it up as my mum didn't know how to do it. Doing this, i remembered all of the horror stories on here about how it smelled strongly of plastic and ruined the coffee etc, I thought my mum was going to hate it if that happens. HOWEVER, it turns out that not a lot of people who wrote a review on here actually know how to read instructions. It clearly tells you what to do and what not to do when setting it up for use for the first time. If you don't want a bad tasting coffee on first use or a 'terrible smell' that quite frankly wasn't even that bad, follow these simple steps:

1. Open the lid and remove the filter and other removable component inside.
2. With a DRY cloth, wipe the interior and exterior of the machine to get rid of any dust.
3. Put the components back inside the machine and fill the tank with '4 cups' of water i.e fill it to the number 4 line on the tank.
4. DO NOT put any coffee into the machine yet.
5. Put the jug underneath and turn it on
6. Wait until the jug has filled up with water and has stopped dripping,
7. Turn off the machine, remove the jug and pour it out and put the jug back underneath.
8. NOW you may put the correct amount of coffee in the filter using the little measuring spoon provided.
9. Wait until it has stopped filtering, leave the switch ON as this will only keep the hot plate warm so your coffee doesn't get cold.
10. Enjoy!

NOTE: I figured out quickly enough that the expected amount per cup is a small expresso sized cup, so if you intend on having a mug of coffee like myself, follow this rule; 2 cups on the machine = 1 mug of coffee. If you want to have coffee in the machine ready for a refill, fill it to level 8 as my own personal point of reference and use 4 SPOONFULS of coffee. 1 spoon of coffee = 1 mug of coffee.

Overall, for 19.99 you can't go wrong and the machine is so simple to use it's insane. So despite the constant complaining of 'overwhelming plastic odor filling the whole house' (which is extremely exaggerated as you can only smell the 'zinc' type odor you used to smell in science class at school but only if you stand within a foot of the machine during it's cleansing process which lasts roughly 1 minute and quickly disappears), this machine is amazing for value and DOES NOT stink out the house if you use it properly!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING SERVICE AND MACHINE!, 8 Oct 2012
This is the second machine I have bought. One for me and because I liked it so much I bought one for my mum. This does exactly what you want it to do. Just a good ole' mug of filter coffee. No fandangled complicated stuff to work out how to use or never use! Mine has been used everyday since I got it at the begining of the year...What a bargain! Cant believe this was delivered the next day! 10 out of 10!!!
I am a VERY happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Pong, Works Okay, 23 Jun 2010
Mr. P. H. Turner (Romiley, G.B.) - See all my reviews
Some people said the coffee maker was okay, some said it had a truly dreadful plastic pong, which made it unuseable. But we decided to take a chance. We were lucky enough to get one without the dreadful pong. It works fine, we found that filling the jug with water to just under "8" makes our usual requirement of 6 mugs of coffee, and the gadget keeps the coffee good and hot. So as long as it keeps on working, we're happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Coffee Maker and Perfect results every time, 10 Aug 2010
Richard Thomas "www.xpd259.co.uk" (Bradford,UK) - See all my reviews
While this is my 1st coffee maker as I only started drinking coffee 2 weeks ago

It is perfect does the job very well and is designed well also and looks nice
very quiet and doesn't dribble water down the back when the top is opened.

It did have a smell when 1st used but this smell went after the 1st wash through with water and I've not smelt it since.

5.0 out of 5 stars I actually like this product, 31 Dec 2008
Mr. R. J. Strange-Burlong "Roger" (Eastbourne, England) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these several years ago and it did indeed have a strong plastic smell, which did disappear after a few uses.

After heavy use (at least once a day) it went kaput. So I tried a Russel Hobbs Essentials coffee maker, which I returned because it was incredibly poor manufacture and design. For the heavy use I give a coffee maker it just wasn't fit for purpose.

So I once again purchased this Delonghi coffee maker. It no longer has the plastic smell problem when new, and more importantly to my mind it makes a decent cup of coffee. I like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Machine, 8 Jun 2009
Spuddybuddy (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This is a cracking machine that actually keeps coffee HOT! i've always had to rely on the use of a powdered coffee whitener in the past as the temperature so often leaves a lot to be desired, not so with this machine. Yes there is a slight plastic smell at 1st, but i really do think that's being a bit picky as it goes. Another huge plus is the fact that the machine doesn't switch itself off, i'm quite capable of doing that for myself when i'm ready to do so. Having bought much more expensive machines over the years, i've been really pleasantly supprised by the quality and temperature of the coffee this machine makes. I wouldn't hesitiate to buy one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent coffee maker, 22 Jun 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars De'Longhi ICM2B 10-Cup Filter Coffee Maker, 28 Mar 2013
B. Bowden (Scotland) - See all my reviews
a lovely little machine. uncomplicated without timing buttons etc, exactly what i wanted.we did not find any plasticky smell or taste as some reviewers reported. it actually holds about 4 1/4 mugs of coffee and keeps its hot as long as required. at this price what's not to like..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb 2012
Excellent, it's never switched off. Easy to use & understand. Makes fab coffee. Looking forward to purchasing more products very soon.

De'Longhi ICM2B 10-Cup Filter Coffee Maker