on 21 February 2005
This is a hugely rewarding time for Matt Monro fans all over the world. To commemorate the 20th anniversary of his passing, his family has played a major role in the release of this album as well as the upcoming DVD set "An Evening With Matt Monro," which includes the only known (and newly-discovered) filmed concert from his entire career.
Matt was the greatest pop singer of the last century, and if that sounds like fawning hyperbole, maybe it will at least entice you to have a listen to this album, a compendium of his top hits with other notable tracks included to personalize the collection a bit. The centerpiece is a live rendition of "One Voice," the Barry Manilow number that Matt performed regularly in his final years (but never recorded). As always, Matt makes the song his own, keeping you interested in the song's repetitive lyric through varying interpretations and turning a sing-song tune into an anthem.
Not coincidentally, "One Voice" showcases the extraordinary power and range of Matt's voice. Engineered from a TV program, it is his only "live" recording ever released, and may represent a newly-determined resource for future live tracks, Matt never having recorded a live album.
The success of this album, which had reached into the Top 25 at the time of this writing, may propel EMI to release more cleverly-conceived compilations like it. My bigger hope, being an American, is that their U.S. division will perk up and get Matt back into stores over here, giving him a leading presence in our ongoing singers-and-standards boom. This chart success, 20 years after he left us, shows that he has passed the "timelessness" test and has proven his appeal to new and future generations.
Considering that Matt is largely forgotten these days, and is not around to remind people of his brilliance, quite a lot of his music is available on CD (at least in the UK) including a bewildering array of compilations as well as several twofers containing re-issues of original albums. This one contains all the essential tracks.

Matt was Britain's best balladeer of the sixties. He had five UK top ten hits, these being Portrait of my love, My kind of girl, Softly as I leave you, Walk away and Yesterday. The Beatles' own version of Yesterday was not released as a UK single at the time although it was released in the USA (where it topped the charts) and eventually got a UK release in the mid-seventies. So Matt's version competed with several others but the only other one to chart was by Marianne Faithfull. Matt recorded several other Beatles songs, of which Michelle is included in this set.
Although it was only a comparatively modest hit (just making the UK top twenty), Matt's most famous recording is probably From Russia with love, a James Bond theme song. He recorded plenty of stage and screen songs during his career and on this collection you will find Matt's versions of Born free (from Born free) and Gonna build a mountain (from Stop the world and let me off), the last-named providing another minor UK hit for Matt.
Matt was an excellent interpreter of other people's songs and this collection includes his covers of several classic songs including I can't stop loving you, If I were a carpenter, Bridge over troubled water, All my loving, For once in my life and My way.
Several minor hits are missing so this is not a definitive collection but it contains all his big hits and everything else that casual buyers need.
If you enjoy the music of Nat King Cole, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, it is likely that you will also enjoy listening to Matt Monro. This CD provides a good sampling of his music although I think that the budget collection (Very best of) provides better value for money. Do not be surprised if, once you've played it a few times, you end up buying more of his music.
on 1 February 2005
Matt Monro died 20 years ago, on 7th February 1985, and this is presumably the motivation behind the release of this collection of some, not all, of his best-known material.
Popularly dubbed the "Singing Bus Driver" (his occupation between National Service and turning professional as an entertainer) when he came to fame on BBC Radio in the late 1950s, George Martin hired him to imitate Frank Sinatra (as "Fred Flange") on Peter Sellers' comedy LP "Songs For Swinging Sellers". Apart from that little commission, Matt mostly steered well clear of Sinatra numbers when it came to his own recordings, but his easy style and phrasing, not unlike Nat King Cole or Dean Martin, and clarity of diction, drew compliments from Bing Crosby and Sinatra himself.
His forte was the easy-going love-ballad, nothing over-wrought or emotional, such as "Portrait Of My Love", "Softly As I Leave You", both big hits, and the Beatles' "Yesterday", with which he made the Top Ten in both the UK and USA. His style leant itself easily to movie music of the day and it is for "From Russia With Love" and "Born Free" and (strangely not included here) "On Days Like These" (from The Italian Job) that most people will know him. He was not averse to the odd uptempo number - "My Kind Of Girl" and "Gonna Build A Mountain" are the only two included here, and were both 1960s successes.
Most of his hits and best known numbers are here - we could argue all day over tracks I thought might have been included. The shops and Amazon listings are not short of Matt Monro collections, some of which provide fuller coverage and/or better value and it's very much a case of paying your money and taking your pick. Matt was a very fine singer who managed to cover much the same ground as some of the big American names of the 50s and 60s, without copying them, by making the songs his own (just ignore "Bridge Over Troubled Water"). If you like Sinatra, or Cole, or Andy Williams, Matt will be right up your street.
on 22 February 2005
This is another amazing collection of the velevety tones of the master. But the best surprize is the release of five new tracks never released to CD before. It's been a long time coming and is aptly fitting for the 20th Anniversary. It's a great easy listening collection of his well known hits and will bring back some wonderful memories to the listener. It's also a treat that some of the oldies have been remastered. Well done EMI. Fantastic
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2013
My main passion for music is for Rock n Roll and Rockabilly, but I enjoy chilling out with a bit of easy listening and have enjoyed the ramblings of the Rat Pack, Martin, Crosby & Sinatra since I was a kid, but Matt had something special with his silky smooth vocals which you just can't resist listening too which in my oppinion put him a cut above the rest.

I have several of Matt's vinyl album's but my turntable is struggling so it was time to purchase a CD. I'm glad I came across this one as it contains a good collection of his best tracks from various albums.

I must admit I miss the crackle of needle and vinyl, so a new turntable is going on my wishlist on amazon (great for when family ask what you want for Christmas and birthdays).
on 6 July 2015
In my opinion Matters Monro was a very underated and versatile singer he could turn his hand to many various forms of singing and this CD is one of the best, indeed he even tackles singing in foreign language, I am playing it while I am doing my reviewing and find it very good as comfortiñg background music very good to chill out to ten out of ten.
on 29 December 2011
Husband very surprised and very pleased. This man had/has a wonderful voice, lovely CD for Monro fans and also for people that want to listen to a good singer. It will probably be the only one that we purchase, I think that I chose the best.
on 7 August 2014
This CD arrived very quickly. It is a fab collection of songs and is in constant use: so calming and relaxing at the end of a busy day. Matt Monro has a beautiful voice and we love to unwind to it. Highly recommended.
on 10 July 2015
Singing for Matt was effortless, he invested every lyric with a feeling that draws you in. It is not on this collection but listen to him singing a time for love by Johnny Mandel it's beautiful.
on 12 November 2013
I have always liked Matt Monro, He was a really good singer and I loved his songs
I have played this several times and all the songs I love are on it.
An excellent buy.