• Angel

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 February 2005
Don't be put off by the fact that this album mainly consists of instrumental tracks because it has the most beautiful pieces of music that you will ever hear. I'll even go so far as to say that you don't even have to be a fan of ANGEL to appreciate the music on this CD. The music tells the story to perfection.
The show was, in part, about fighting and it shines through with the dramatic orchestra's drums beating fiercely during Start The Apocalypse, Massive Assault, The Trials For Darla, Castle Attack and Judgment and Jousting. But the drama is coupled with moments of quiet to reflect sadness and loss in scores like Home, Farewell Cordelia and The End Of The World.
A special mention goes to Darla's Sacrifice and Hero where every emotion possible will take over you as you remember key moments when a much-loved character was lost. By my own admission, Hero is a hard one to listen to as it is a reminder of life imitating art. Actor Glen Quinn who played Doyle until his character was killed off in the Season One episode, Hero, sadly and unexpectedly passed away.
The haunting vocals of Elin Carlson not only appear on Hero, but also The Birth of Angelus which is the most stunning track on the album. There is a treat in store for fans of the Season Two "three-part finale", as you can enjoy the music that played during the Fang Gang's visit to Pylea. Sigh. I miss Pylea.
It is not all instrumental. Savour the vocals of the very talented Andy Hallett on Lady Marmalade and It's Not Easy Being Green. Finally fans get to listen to Christian Kane's LA Song at their leisure, something they have been longing for since Season Two. VAST's Touched is on there which is highly rated by fans of ANGEL. I defy any fan who does have a tear in the eye when Kim Richey's A Place Called Home starts playing. It will remind you of the time we said goodbye to Fred. This song is just as stirring when played without the scenes that accompanied it on ANGEL.
All in all, the CD is a perfect salute to ANGEL. Music was important to the show, but it is not until you have the music minus the moving pictures that you actually appreciate and embrace a vital part of what made ANGEL so brilliant. It is a must have for all ANGEL fans everywhere because it is a reminder of the superior series we have loved and lost.
on 13 June 2005
From reading reviews and articles about the Angel soundtrack, I was eager to purchase it but slightly disappointed that it mainly consists of Score music. However, after listening to it a few times I am hooked!
Most of the score music is brilliant and really does make you picture parts of the show when you are listening to it. "Hero" makes me shiver every time I hear it, and there are only 2 other songs I've ever heard that do that to me! Personal highlights of the soundtrack are "End of the World" (used in Not Fade Away and various other episodes), "Hero" (Doyle!), and "Farewell Cordelia" (Your Welcome). It was also nice to have "I'm Game" included, as it has been used in numerous final scenes.
Some people have been disappointed with the extended Angel theme tune, but I am certainly not one of them- it's my favourite track on the album. I think people who enjoy dance music would prefer this track, however saying that, I am a rock/alternative fan and I still found the remix brilliant. My second favourite track on the album would have to be "Touched" by Vast. Played during the street/Kate/Angel montage during the second episode of the first season (Lonely Heart), this track seems to be a mixture of rock, trance and world music, but it makes a great combination.
"LA song" is performed by Christian Kane (Lindsey), seen in Season 2. Soft guitar and great vocals, this is quite a good song. (I prefer more upbeat stuff but it's great that this was included!)
Two songs by Andy Hallet (Lorne) have been include, which no Angel album would be complete without. The songs are well known already, so you will probably know if they are to your taste. I would have been happier if "Superstition" had been included, as I thought this was one of his best performances, but I can dream for another Angel album!
The final song "A place called home" was played at the end of Shells and is another song that will send you right back to watching the show. Well it's a great way to end the album.
I would defiantly recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Angel and enjoyed the music played during the show. I will say the music is mainly scored so don't get it if you really do hate classical or anything related to it, but other than that, get it!You won't be disappointed- the music is great!
on 14 February 2005
After much anticipation, a soundtrack to Angel is released, and fortunately, unlike the Buffy soundtracks, this cd features primarily the score. Like many fans, I have eagerly waited for this release since first hearing the beautiful theme of Doyle in the first season episode "Hero". Not only is a five minute suite from that episode included, but 19 other score tracks too (not including the main theme and the songs). The question you want answered no doubt is, "Is it any good?" Well so far I've only listened to the album once and already a lot of the themes have impressed me, so much so that I've just started listening to it again. There is a downside to the collection however, in that with all the many hours of music featured on the series, only a small selection is allowed to fit on one CD. Maybe we'll get volume two some day, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
So what is there? Well there does seem to be a fair share of music based on the Pylean episodes and around Darla's character, but it's not all bad. In fact, the Darla music in particular "Dreaming of Darla" is one of the stronger tracks. Still, it would have been nice to include a variety of music from all seasons, as the second and fourth seem to be featured more than anything else. I was hoping for some music from the Jasmine arc, particularly the moment Angel steps through the portal and the gang take on Jasmine's followers, led by Connor. Nevertheless, this is a strong album, in which the positive far outweighs the negative.
My favourite tracks would have to be: The extended Angel theme (fans have wanted this since the dawn of time); "The End of the World" (which featured not only in Apocalypse Nowish, but also the season 3 finale when Angel sinks to the ocean and Cordy ascends); "Hero"; "Birth of Angelus" (from The Prodigal); "Dreaming of Darla"; "Farewell Cordelia" (from You're Welcome); and the short but sweet "I'm Game" (the heroic theme used often in the first season)
To make sure the album appeals to fans who aren't into the instrumental music, then five songs have also been included, the greatest being the first two - "Touched" by Vast and "L.A. Song" performed by Christian Kane, AKA Lindsay.
Included in the album is a booklet that includes introductions by Joss Whedon and composer Robert Kral, followed by notes on each track including the episode(s) they are taken from.
It's a finely produced album that (unlike your usual cash-in soundtrack) fills the CD in its 80 minute running time and serves as the perfect companion to an epic series.
on 15 February 2005
This album is just, well, beautiful.
Christopher Beck really took television music to a new level on Buffy, and it's hard to believe anyone could do a better job. But god, Robert Kral really showcases some touchingly magnificent pieces on this CD. Specific highlights for myself being; "Home", "Hero" & "Farewell Cordelia". But all the theatrical scoring is outstanding.
Also, you have the musical tracks involving Andy Hallett and his wonderful voice, not to mention Christian Kane with "LA SONG" - which is just breathtaking.
This CD has a proud place in my collection and I would go as far as saying it's my favourite album in my diverse collection.
Theatrical score fans will love it, but ANGEL fans will adore it utterly.
on 28 February 2005
I was really hoping for some of the more songs sung in the karaoke bar. I would love to have a copy (bad as it is) of Angel singing 'Mandy' and the drunken rendetion of 'We Are The Champions'.
Also, I would have liked to have seen more Lorne songs as you only get two on this CD and even those aren't the best ones that he did on the show.
Apart from that the CD has some outstanding score music which to its credit feels more cinematic than most television music, I can only hope that a similar album is released with Buffy score music. Fingers crossed!
on 17 February 2005
Well it's been a long wait but finally we have an angel soundtrack. After 3 separate Buffy albums Fox have finally seen fit to release one for angel and boy was it worth the wait. I only bought this yesterday and have played it non stop since. Evrything you could want is on this CD, the extended theme is excellent and all the best bits you remember from the show are here - pylea, doyle's, cordelia's and fred's departures, darla's arc music and more. I've read some reviews saying people were disappointed it was mostly score. Angel never focused on bands like buffy instead this album showcases Rob Kral's extraordinary talents. And the CD caters for those wanting vocal tracks, the few times songs have featured on the show they were very well remembered and so they're all here - Andy Hallet's songs from 'The House Always Wins', LA Song by the fab Christian Kane and of course A Place Called Home which played while we all wept to Fred's death. I could go on, I already have, in short, go buy it now. I assure you you will not be disappointed!
on 24 February 2005
I am a huge Angel fan and couldn't wait for the soundtrack to come out. At first I was put off by the fact that this CD is mainly orchestral but on listening to it I absolutely loved it! The Songs composed by Robert Kral are very beautiful pieces ranging from calming to heart pounding tracks (which have a 'Lord of the Rings' feel to it). Plus the CD has some great songs at the end sung by the cast Christian Kane 'Lindsey' and Andy Hallet 'Lorne'. Any Buffy & Angel fan must by this CD!
on 7 March 2005
What a fantastic album! I bought this off this website and if you love Angel or Buffy - then you've got to get this!
The album is different from that of the Buffy albums in being that this is more instrumental, not band oriented. However, at the end of the album, the songs: Touched, LA Song, Lady Marmalade, It's not easy being green and A Place Called Home are all sung.
This is a fantastic album and I recommend anyone who loves Angel or Buffy to buy it! It's a must have!
on 21 March 2005
I loved it, it made you more aware of the themes of music within the show. I play it all the time in the car. My favourites have to be the theme tune by Darling Viotetta, and Touched by Vast. It would be nice if they would do a follow up as there are many more great pieces of music that there wasn't the room for on one CD.
on 21 February 2005
I must echo what others have said in that the Angel Soundtrack is amazing. I was very pleased that most of the album was musical score with the addition of a few vocal songs. This album definately highlights Rob Kral's talent as a composer. A few highlights on the disc consist of the "Angel Theme" (remixed), "Home", "Hero", and the Darla & Pylea suites, as well as "The L.A. Song". The music easily pulls you into the emotion of the scene in which the score was featured and allows you to experience the pain/triumph/happiness again and again. This is worth every penny spent and I highly recommend it for any Angel fan.