5.0 out of 5 stars The best Carmen!
Published on 26 Aug 2004 by D. Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality?
Not too impressed with the quality of the recording... I was really hoping for something MUCH better than that. If someone could recommended a brilliant audio recording of Carmen that would be just fantastic. This one lets me down I think. The singing is "top-drawer" though.
Published on 15 Sep 2008 by Maverick11

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Carmen!, 26 Aug 2004
D. Bennett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
Berganza and Domingo are superb in this reading, as Carmen and Don Jose this couple have not been equalled. Berganza has a very special voice, some people believe Callas' Carmen to be the best characterised but Berganza has a more brilliant tone and is very very spanish sounding. Domingo is magical as Don Jose, he is perhaps the very finest tenor of his generation in this repertoire and he sings with considerable style and fluency.
Milnes and Cotrubas are very special also.
Abbado really gets to the soul of Bizet's music with the LSO and the pre digital sound is warm and clear. A perfect set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performances all round!, 6 Aug 2007
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
I have the highlights of this on casette and cannot find a more satisfying version of "Carmen".

It was exceptionally well cast. Domingo (Don Jose) and Milnes (Escamillo)are both fabulously in full voice and Ileana Cotrubas the most moving Micaela I have ever heard. The greatest applause though must go to Teresa Berganza who really sings the title role to perfection with hot-blooded Spanish passion but also a confidence which commands our respect and sympathy, retaining musicality in every last note.

I really do hope that Deutsche Gramaphon will re-release this because it well deserves another opportunity.

4.0 out of 5 stars First opera CD set, 23 Jun 2014
M. Hayward "Dr Soil" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
I have shunned opera, partly because of cost (multiple CDs) and time (when?). However, knowing the great tunes of this opera from the orchestral suites, I thought I would give this a go, It starts at a rollicking tempo, and all the great numbers occur, one after another with spoken dialogue in between. Heavy going it is not, and Berganza, although in her forties at the time (suspension of disbelief is important for opera!), sounds young and fresh and does not have horrible wide vibrato.I looked at reviews to find a bargain, and I was not disappointed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars elegant, energetic, and expressive, 3 April 2014
Stanley Crowe (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
Well . . . recordings of "Carmen" really divide the reviewers -- lots of very strong feelings on both sides. It's not an opera I've spent a lot of time with, even though I've always liked the music (in the suites), but now I've heard two complete recordings. I gave the 1962 Karajan four stars, mainly on the basis of hearing Price and Corelli at their peaks, but after hearing Abbado, I realize how content Karajan was to give us a richly upholstered showcase for great voices (yes, Merrill and Freni are in it too and sound great). Everything about Abbado's 1977 recording is much more dramatically pointed, and the orchestral sound has more immediacy than Karajan's, with the voices very well placed in relation to it. A lot of people complain of not hearing a "really" French "Carmen" -- but do we really know what that would sound like? Abbado's sounds fine to me. Domingo is a fine Jose, his French better than Corelli's and better than his own in the Decca "Hoffmann." He's fully dramatically alive (the singers do their own spoken parts), and he shapes the Flower Song beautifully, and his tense exchange with Carmen right after is marvelous. Teresa Berganza sings beautifully as Carmen. She has sex appeal but she presents too a character who enjoys manipulating men -- you can hear it in her dynamics and phrasing. It's valid conception of the role. Cotrubas's voice is less lovely than Freni's as Micaela , but her French is better and her dramatic engagement more palpable. Milnes is a fine Escamillo, but Merrill's voice is richer and his dramatic instincts fine too. Abbado's contribution seems very distinguished to me. He has a combination of elegance and energy that Karajan doesn't match, and the sheer beauty of the orchestral playing -- e. g. in the entr'acte before Act 2 -- is a joy in itself. I've heard good things about the Solti recording (with Domingo too), but this one is just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldish Carmen recording, 2 Dec 2013
R. Godwin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
The music is marvellous for all tastes, those who love opera and those who know nothing about it, and this recording by oldies is tops.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent version, 13 May 2013
FionaS (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
this kept me going on a flight without TVs, and helped me arrive in a good mood despite no sleep. brilliant singing, very moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and uplifting!, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
A wonderful recording of Bizet's Carmen. I had just been to see it at the theatre and came straight home and ordered the CD and I have been playing it over and over since. It is great to play if you are home alone or on a quiet night with a glass of wine sitting in a comfy chair - thoroughly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Carmen, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
This is a really good recording and the music is very uplifting. I am just getting into opera and this is really worth listenening to.

It doesn't seem to matter that it is sung in French, if you know the story you can work it out. I liked it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality?, 15 Sep 2008

Bizet: Carmen
Bizet: Carmen by Teresa Berganza (Audio CD - 2005)