4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun?
Published on 16 Feb 2007 by G. J. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Cashing in on perfection
Published on 7 Feb 2005 by John K

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun?, 16 Feb 2007
G. J. Taylor (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The Keith Barrett show has been met with mixed opinions with Amazon customers. The show is a spin off from 'Marion & Geoff' but it's almost pointless comparing them for two main reasons. A, the programme formats are totally different and B, although their are some references to the shows predecessor, there is no requirement to have watched or had any prior knowledge of 'Marion & Geoff' in order to enjoy 'The Keith Barrett Show'. I watched some of the KBS when it was screened and I was put off because it was a copy of Alan Partridge, I've recently re-visited the show and my previous prejudice was un-just. Yes it is very similar to Alan Partridge but given the fact that Steve Coogan is one of the producers this is hardly surprising. I see the Keith Barrett show to be a hybrid of 'The Mrs Merton Show' and 'Knowing Me Knowing You'. Rob Brydon's humour is very personal, his style is different to Coogan: Brydon could be best described as a personality actor. The humour directed at his guests is mostly respectful and the guests seem to have respect for Brydon's comedy talents. The theme of the shows are human relationships and follow on from the themes covered by 'Marion & Geoff', but as I've said there's no need to watch M&G before watching Keith Barrett. The catch phrases may seem a little forced and annoying but Brydons improvisational style, subtle humour and quick wit puts Keith Barrett alongside the likes of Brent, Partridge and Merton; this dvd comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cruel but funny, 3 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Spoof BBC chat show hosted by Keith Barret (Rob Brydon) who interviews celebrity couples with the pretence of finding the secret to a successful marriage.
Alot of modern day comedy is observational based, not the case here. Keith some how aways makes his B list celebrity guests the butt of all the jokes, making it great to watch if you can still engage with school yard mentality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic show!, 12 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The Keith barret show continues with the character made famous in marion and geoff. It has the same humour, and jokes that made the character so amusing. I have seen every episode and i can honestly say there was not one where i did not laugh out loud. i have also recently seen rob brydon doing the tour of the keith barret show and it reminded me how much i love this show, and how funny this man is. I would recommend it to everyone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hindsight is a wonderful thing, 26 Jan 2014
sistermoon (Wakefield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I wish I could have had the second series along with this as I have a need to see the bit where Keith interviews Jack and Jill (a genuine couple)! I was especially touched by him interviewing Ronnie and Anne Corbett, because the comedian's failure to pluck up courage to say 'I love you' to her and saying 'Ambrosia Creamed Rice! ' instead was so like stories I've read of the early Genesis being unable to say those three little words in song. And Tony Banks always got on well with Scottish performers too (see Fish).

In hindsight I see networking opportunities - the fanboy Rob reveals himself when speaking to Corbett, the interview with Anthony H. Wilson and his wife leading to his involvement in 'A Cock & Bull Story' as well as Steve and Rob being in '24 Hour Party People'. I also see jinxes - Darren Day seems more comfortable with Keith singing 'The Young Ones' than with Suzanne Shaw. Kerry Katona and Bryan McFadden are a forgone conclusion. I was also so sorry for Keith at the speed-dating report; flashing his photos of his sons in the hope of getting a potential partner. The hen night showed him to be drowning in a sea of estrogen, and I was longing for Steve to show up, like the shopkeeper in Mr. Benn, and guide him to safety! The tea dance also made me feel sad, and I imagined him dancing with a potential partner somewhere that wasn't so crowded.

The Paul McKenna scene made me wonder if Rob had been to a hypnotist in real life - there is an allusion to this in Marion & Geoff. Keith's constant 'help me!' glances to camera showed me that Rob's confidence on screen hadn't grown at the time, and he is happy to let Richard Madeley natter on in the Richard & Judy episode, having no courage to say 'Sorry, but we've run out of time. Thank you to Richard and Judy, and goodnight!'

There have been no repeats of the series on GOLD as far as I know, which is why I asked for this as a Christmas present. There are no deleted scenes or bloopers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Appearance, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I enjoyed because I was in it - first episode. Speed dater. Nick. Loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cashing in on perfection, 7 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The Keith Barret Show is - unsurprisingly - a chat show hosted by Keith Barret (Rob Brydon). Keith Barret is a character with whom many will be familiar, from the BBC 'tragicom' Marion & Geoff. During the two series' of this program, we watched as he tried to cope with the breakdown of his marriage; He now returns to talk to celebrity couples about how they maintain their relationships.
In my opinion Marion & Geoff was a near perfect program. It was moving and funny all at the same time, and it showed just how good the BBC is at funding seemingly non-commercial ideas.
Unfortunately the Keith Barret Show feels more like a stereotypically American idea, taking a popular character and developing a slightly glitzy chat show based around him. We can also see an unwanted change in the character. The Keith Barret of Marion & Geoff was a vulnerable and nave optimist whilst the Keith Barret we see here is clearly out to embarrass the celebrities he interviews. Somehow, it just doesn't seem right.
So why 2 stars and not 1? I have given two stars because if you can ignore the fact that this has any association with Marion & Geoff (which I didn't find difficult, due to the change in the character) it is in places very funny. I watched the majority of the series and found some of his comments very amusing. Particularly when he would put one partner in a blindfold and headphones and grill the other.
Unfortunately though, even the fresh jokes wear thin and by the end of the series I found myself thinking "If he says 'it's a bit of fun' one more time...". I'm afraid that the repetitive structure and the manufactured catchphrases conspired to give the episodes a horrible feeling of déjà vu despite a smattering of good new material.
In summary I feel that this is a very mediocre program which is made worse by its misuse of a superb television character. A real shame, 2 stars

The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004]