5.0 out of 5 stars At least *we* live in the real world!
This is without a doubt the best tv show in years, it's like Red Dwarf and The Young Ones were when they first came out. While the surreal-ness of it might get you a few confused looks when you try and explain it to someone who's not seen it, when you find someone who has....well reinacting parts from the show dressed in whatever you could fashion while in the train...
Published on 19 Oct 2007 by Rising Ape

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright...
I bought this expecting it to be full of laugh out loud moments based on the amazing customer reviews, but to be honest I didn't think it was THAT good. It has it's moments, but overall the humour is a bit hit or miss. I enjoyed the unique style of animation, and Mark's character made me laugh more than anything, but I really don't think it deserves the hype expressed in...
Published on 17 July 2009 by Barnaby Bridges

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative, leftfield, dark and overall high quality comedy from Steve Coogan's stable of comic talent., 1 Nov 2009
Callan Powers (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Not an Animal [DVD][2004] (DVD)
A bunch of misfit talking animals - from a pompous horse and a sarcastic sparrow (both voiced by Coogan) to a celebrity obsessed pit bull (Bulmore) - have been created by a vivisection laboratory. The laboratory has kept the animals in a pampered, luxurious lifestyle, and when animal rights activists arrive to "liberate" them, they are at a loss as to how to look after themselves.

The humour comes from the interactions as the animals attempts to understand both the world they now inhabit and the emotions that are a part of the personalities they have been given; of course they have never interacted with the general populace, and can only seek this understanding through popular culture, magazines and the news.

I Am Not An Animal is a very clever series, with a number of funny moments in each episode, excellent characterisation and some highly imaginative situations. The animation of the show has a very unique look, with human eyes and mouths given to the animals, however a lack of visual gags suggests this is underutilised. It does suffer a little on second viewing, so it is not recommended to view particularly often, however it is guaranteed to make you chuckle once again if you dig it out after 18 months or so.

The series is a must for anyone with a love of humour outside of the norm, and who tends to quote from such other less predictable comedies as The Mighty Boosh and Monty Python. Its one liners and quickfire retorts are some of its strongest features, as are its arguably dark themes. Memorable quotes include:

"Love is having a boyfriend who hits you, then he cries and promises never to do it again, but he does, and you go to a safe house."
"I'd hit you Claire. And I'd track you down at the safe house."
"You're so sweet"

Describing a laptop: "some sort of futuristic folder... With a wire!!!"

"It appears our old friend calvin has had his head stitched onto the body of an ape and been sent to kill us"
"I knew this would happen"

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Comedy Hits the Spot, 5 Jun 2009
This review is from: I Am Not an Animal [DVD][2004] (DVD)
I saw this on the Australian TV channel ABC a few years ago. It was one of those shows that stuck in my head but I missed some episodes and didn't really understand it. All I knew was that it was the kind of black comedy I really enjoy.

The animals are intelligent but do and think stupid things because they have no experience in the world outside their testing facility. A lot of the humorous situations arise due to this. The voices (especially that of the sparrow) are funny. They say some outlandish things. It's as much a free-thought gag reel as it is a statement about Man's relationship to animals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 2 Mar 2010
Ransen Owen (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Not an Animal [DVD][2004] (DVD)
After 20 minutes and no laughs or interest I decided to stop viewing.

The fact that the voice overs are from talented and famous comedians does not save this strange and boring DVD.

ARRAY(0xab333168)

I Am Not an Animal [DVD][2004]
I Am Not an Animal [DVD][2004] by Peter Baynham (DVD - 2005)
19.99