5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 9 April 2005
M. Ball - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arcane Rain Fell (Audio CD)
I must admit that after hearing that Draconian were releasing a second album, I was both excited and worried. Excited because I loved their first album and I couldn't wait for new music, but also worried because of the news that they would be re-recording one of my all-time favourite songs, "Death, Come Near Me", and I couldn't imagine how that song could sound any better.
I needn't have worried. This album is, if anything, better than "Where Lovers Mourn". There is not one song that is out of place, not one song I don't like, and despite my previous skepticism, the re-recording of "Death, Come Near Me" is masterful. While the album centres around themes of the arcane and the occult, there is also something deeply personal to this album that I feel many people can identify with. Draconian have nailed their style with this album.
The music is at all times beautifully haunting, and while "Arcane Rain Fell" concentrates much more on the male vocals than "Where Lovers Mourn", the female vocals are beautifully done. They're bittersweet, sorrowful and yet retain a warmth that adds a ray of light to a dark soundscape.
It's hard to choose favourite songs on this album, as they're all perfect for the feel and atmosphere of the album. "A Scenery of Loss" is a wonderful opening track which slowly builds up to a crescendo of emotion before bringing the listener back down, ready for the next song. "Death, Come Near Me" is the perfect finale, and while different from the demo version I fell in love with, it is no less beautiful. It's a musical journey of loss and hopelessness, leading to one of the most amazing and hopeful epilogues I have ever heard.
I would definitely recommend this album to any dark metal fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, 19 April 2006
A. Papushoy (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arcane Rain Fell (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say, this album is simply outstanding! I've been listening to it non-stop since I got it 3 months ago! This album has quite a different feel from the previous Where Lovers Mourn, it is dark and emotional, really emotional. The female vocals are beautifully touching and heartfelt, sometimes you just feel like crying :)

Every time you listen to it, you fall more & more in love with it, there isn't a single song that is "bad". If i was to name a favourite, I think it'd be either "Everlasting Scar" or "Death, Come Near Me". The last track, over 15mins long, really is the pinnacle of the album, and as in the review above, is the best ending for an album, starting with a feeling of despair and finishing with a feeling hope.

This is Draconian's true style, I just hope they stick with it. This is a MUST HAVE for any fan of Tristania/Sirenia. My favourite band of all time :) Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect slice of doom and gloom, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Arcane Rain Fell (Audio CD)
For anyone mourning the demise of Paradise Lost... (i.e. disappointed with the path PL took after 'Gothic' ) Then Draconian are the antidote.

This album is near as dammit the album Paradise Lost should have recorded as their third LP. It's dark and heavy; fast when necessary but not afraid to slow thing's right down and allow some haunting ethereal female vocals take center stage. Like PL, Draconian have a throaty and gutteral vocalist who, despite his roar, is not unintelligable; which makes everything very listenable. It makes you want to sing, sorry... I mean roar, along.

Don't think, though, that Draconinan are getting all their five stars because they are some kind of very good Paradise Lost tribute band. They would be nothing if they didn't also have the tunes, riffs, atmosphere and most importantly, an individuality to carry it off. This is a progression and an expansion on the 'Gothic' template; bigger, grander and darker.

Maybe it's not better than 'Gothic,' but it's as indispensible.

I will definitely be investigating Draconian's catalogue with more enthusiasm than i did Paradise Lost's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Arcane Rain Fell (Audio CD)
As you are veiwing this type of music, it is presumed you like doom and gloom metal. Therefore, I am not going to explain what it is about. What I will say is that this album is fantastic. It is melodic, haunting, at times tear jerking and the vocals are both the most evil and beautiful I have heard from a metal set up. That is to say that there are 2 vocalists - a predominant male and a female backing, they combine unbeleivably well. Guitars are very heavy and low with the touch of the double bass drum making for some head rocking riffs. There is both a slow and quick pace to the music. Overall, a very accomplished and well recorded and produced peice of work.

If you like Opeth, My Dying Bride etc you will love this. Buy into them now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abundant with beauty, 11 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Arcane Rain Fell (Audio CD)
Sometimes despair is okay when you can smell the perfume of a beautiful woman,sometimes its okay to feel emotional when her hair against your chest,''Arcane Rain Fell ''

is dark and full of sadness,its a journey that takes you sometimes close to tears,the music is tender,yes I know this is Doom Metal,but there is so much emotion in this creation of work,every song and your heart and soul plunge into its dark spirit.This cd is that dream you have just before dawn,as the mist falls around a cold black room, at the time its scary and lonely but as your eyes open you know the sun will appear over the hills and when your lover wakes she will smile at you,Its so hard to explain this work of art,maybe the hardest review...I have ever written,all the songs are good,but there is one just that little bit better than the rest,''Death Come Near Me'' becoz this song gives us hope...I can identify myself to this cd so much like all of Draconian's cds.....even when you think how bad can things can be..or if your wondering....will the tears ever stop?well they do stop and things do get better...thats why I am such a fan...through all the darkness there is always a little hope somewhere hiding in her heart or in your soul.,''Arcane Rain Fell ''is like a sculpture of art,its mysterious and spooky but at the same time abundant

with beauty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Draconian, 16 May 2011
Craig Savage - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arcane Rain Fell (Audio CD)
Not a very up lifting cd.But if you like Goth type rock music,slow mean and moody with a very good lady vocalist complimenting the growls and "honey monster"style male vocalist this is probably for you.All the songs are fairly long,giving them time to develop.
I will certainly be looking to buy futher products of this band.

Arcane Rain Fell
Arcane Rain Fell by Draconian (Audio CD - 2013)