Format: DVD|Change

on 10 February 2009
davy crockett..king of the wild frontier.. i once bought a glass in canada with the davy crockett pic and first chorus of song... so at 40 odd years old..haha.. i bought it... it did remind me so much of the mid '50's when i and my pals saw the first movie.. and now i have that movie on dvd.. i am soooo pleased... thanks a bunch... hmac..
on 4 October 2010
When the original film was showing at the Standard Cinema, Coventry, two young mothers took their combined broods of 9 nippers to watch it. Ahem! I don't remember seeing any of the film, but I do remember David, Daryl, Gerry and myself playing cowboys and indians underneath the seats and becoming rather filthy! I vowed to myself - after being severely admonished - that when I got the chance, I would sit down and watch it in its entirety. Ah, the best-laid plans of mice and men! Now I'm old, fat, grey and disabled, I sought out this copy on Amazon and duly sat down and watched it. Hardly surprisingly, it's a precis, as a film portrayal of Davy Crockett would have to be a 10-volume series. Most of what he achieved is there, but there's not enough detail! Ah well, when someone makes "Davy Crockett - The Series" I'll be an avid watcher. In the meantime, this will have to do!
''Born on a Mountain Top in Tennessee
Greenest state in the land of the free
Raised in the Wood so's he knew every tree
Kil't him a B'ar when he was only three
Davy, Davy Crockett, King of The Wild Frontier''
.......
This is the movie that triggered a lifetime of interest in the story of
'Davy Crockett' and the battle of the Alamo, way back in '1955' (I
was a whole lot younger then)
'Disney' rekindled the legend of 'Davy Crockett' in this family-friendly
tale, which is often portrayed in a light-hearted manner as is the
'Disney' way.....History and fact perhaps tailored to accomodate the
it's targeted audience of the day.
the film starts during 'Davy Crockett's' (Fess Parker) Indian-fighting
days during which he was awarded the rank of colonel.
We follow his adventures along with partner 'George Russell' (Buddy
Epsen) which includes his 'Bear Hunting' 'Shooting contest' he then
set about trying to build a new family home, at which time he is given
the sad news that his wife had died.
He is persuaded to stand for congress, a position he held for one term.
Politics done he seeks a new challenge which takes him to Texas, where
he hears of a forthcoming skirmish with 'Mexican' dictator 'Santa Ana'
So he and his faithful friend head to 'San Antonio' joining 'Colonel James
Bowie' and 'Colonel William Travis' at the crumbling mission 'The Alamo'
Alamo trivia :-
'Davy' took the position of 'Special' Private' and was not officially one of
the 'Alamo's' commanders.
In fact 'Davy' and his volunteers defended the wooden palisade to the rear
of the 'Alamo's' defences, after the Mexican soldiers are repelled on a couple
of occasions, the forward defences were breached the dye was of course cast.
The battle took place before sun-rise, lasting about two hours.
'William Travis' was one of the first to die (bullet in his head)
'James Bowie' who was bed-ridden may well have already died before the Mexican
soldiers reached him.
There is no account of how 'Davy Crockett' met his death.
The number of Mexican casualties varies depending on what account you read.
Stuff of Myth and legend.
'Fess Parker' in later life donated the rifle used in the movie to the 'Alamo'
museum (I did in fact see it on my visit 2013)
The Film:
Pure nostalgia for myself, haven't watched it for a while,,,,,have, again now.
Perhaps a little dated by today's standards, and is presented on DVD in 4.3.
The picture and sound quality is pretty good, in truth this is often the case
with 'Disney' movies from this period of time.
review image review image review image
on 5 January 2015
I remember seeing this movie way back in the early 50's, right at the height of the Davy Crockett craze when all the kids were wearing coonskin caps etc.,so I just had to get this DVD. The film holds up astonishingly well cosidering its vintage. and brought back an awful lot of memories of a perhaps more innocent era.. Good entertainment, todays kids would probably enjoy it too. Can be highly recommended.
on 12 June 2010
I bought this dvd because I remembered how I loved watching it when I was very young and I particularly wanted to hear the title song again. Fond memories came flooding back at the beginning but the song became too repetitive after a while and even annoying to hear it over and over again by the end. Very tame by todays standards, I'd say it has a definite 1950's 'feel', but still an enjoyable romp of the old Hollywood Wild West.
on 15 March 2012
A straight forward account of the life of Davy Crocket. Not a great film by today's standards but still fun to look back on especially for those of us who as kids had Davy Crocket hats! At £3:39 its very inexpensive nostalgia.
on 12 December 2014
I remember watching this film as a kid and when I saw it advertised decided to buy it. Still a good Disney production depicting the life of Davy Crockett. Delivery was on time and the merchandise well packaged and protected.
on 28 August 2013
So much legend and rumour surrounds the king of the wild frontier; this film dispels a lot of the fiction in a true portrayal of his life.
on 15 February 2013
this was ordered for a friend for her father who remembered the film many years ago the film arrive on time
on 15 July 2013
its taken my husband back to his first cinema trip with his Mum ,aged 5,well worth it. He loved it.